Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » UNREGISTERING people disables the search engine (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UNREGISTERING people disables the search engine
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
np, I probably edit my posts more than anybody else here, sometimes for that very reason.
Posts: 5607 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
obligato
Posts: 36689 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
AI:
Vandalize means to destroy or damage. Lost functionality isn't the same thing.

"Damage" and "lost functionality" are not synonymous, but they overlap significantly. I'd say that the loss of the profile page/recent posts page for a particular user constitutes damage to a significant structural building-block of the forum.

You're entirely at liberty to take a different perspective, but I'm firmly of the belief that in a web composed of linked pages, the unnecessary loss of part of that structure is damage of a sort, and should generally be avoided without better reason. I don't mean to imply malice or intent to deface, if that is why you object to the word "vandalism," but it does effectively break a useful part of the forum.

(For anyone interested, here is what remains of G2's profile page.)

quote:
Fwiw, I've been a programmer for 38 years and am speaking from that level of experience.
Obviously, since I cannot boast 38 years of life, I cannot presume to compete with the duration of your experience as a programmer. [Smile]
Posts: 2134 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd also like to go on record as agreeing with Tom that the current iteration of forum software is dismal, and I would love to see it upgraded. That said, there is plenty that is newer and worse in many respects than what we have here; I am glad, for example, that we cannot inflict upon each other the sort of gloriously tacky signature art I see elsewhere on the web.
Posts: 2134 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:
I'd also like to go on record as agreeing with Tom that the current iteration of forum software is dismal, and I would love to see it upgraded. That said, there is plenty that is newer and worse in many respects than what we have here; I am glad, for example, that we cannot inflict upon each other the sort of gloriously tacky signature art I see elsewhere on the web.

Amen!!
Posts: 3382 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Obviously, since I cannot boast 38 years of life, I cannot presume to compete with the duration of your experience as a programmer."

Yeah, but there are amusing analogs. If you're almost that age, then back then you were thinking/talking in a kind of assembly language while I was designing/programming in it. We were probably equally fluent. Now you've got me thinking about some of my favorite languages, and I remember somebody came up with a set of C "California codin'" macros so you could write things like this:
code:
 dude, for (like 1; up to 20; creep by 1)
if (x totally is like y)
then x is 2 * y you know;
else
cowabunga dude;

Posts: 5607 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

quote:
AI:
If you're almost that age[…]

I haven't hit my thirties quite yet!

quote:
I remember somebody came up with a set of C "California codin'" macros so you could write things like this[…]
[LOL]

This should be the language of choice for so-called "brogrammers".

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al, if you like that sort of thing, you should really look up LOLCode. [Smile]
Posts: 19689 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"I haven't hit my thirties quite yet!"

Like sorry, dude, in that case I was maybe down with Lisp by then or even struggling with Stroustrup while you was still being pacified by your mamma. Cowabunga, indeed!

"brogrammer" -- the genXer version. I wish I was your age!

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refuse to believe that anyone was ever really "down" with Lisp.
Posts: 19689 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I have been in corporate research for most of those years. I went through a decade long OO learning phase where I studied and programmed Lisp, Smalltalk, NeWs (PostScript (stack based like Lisp)), Eiffel, Java, Objective C and C++. In the end I settled on C++ and have pretty much stayed with it for the past 20 years. We moved recently and I've been slowly unpacking my boxes of Software Engineering books and papers. Want to buy my back issues of Byte? I've got Volume 1/1 through the first 7 or 8 years complete. They're going up on eBay in the next month if you don't.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread gets a bounce, because G2 has upgraded to G3, and his previous stuff remains unsearchable with no particular reason ... and I humbly submit that we should re-think the policy of unregistering people that leave in a huff. We might at least give them a waiting period to see if that revolving door brings them back.
Posts: 36689 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Since Sorkh Razil is taken and I can't have it, I'm grudgingly inclined to go along with this notion.

Would the owner of Sorkh Razil sell it to me? I don't have much money but I could pay with a bag of canned food (mostly chili beans) and 3 cups of tea.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

I'm all for giving Al the Sorkh Razil account. I'd love to see what Al did with a conservative puppet. I think most of us had fun when the OM at the time allowed me to post as "TedK" [Big Grin] Animist said that it was his favorite exchange in all of Ornery's history, and that's high praise coming from an old timer.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page