Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Baboons leave scientists spell-bound (recognizing written words)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baboons leave scientists spell-bound (recognizing written words)
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
abc.net.au

quote:
Baboons can recognise scores of written words, a feat that raises intriguing questions about how we learn to read, scientists report.

In a specially-made facility in France where they could come and go at will, monkeys learned to differentiate between a real word, such as 'kite', and a nonsense word such as 'zevs'.

quote:
They learned to distinguish scores of words, identifying them with an accuracy of 75 per cent, according to the study led by Jonathan Grainger at the Cognitive Research Laboratory at France's Aix-Marseille University .
quote:
"More detailed analysis revealed that baboons were not simply memorising the word ... but had learned to discriminate words from non-words on the basis of differences in the frequency of letter combinations."

Posts: 3409 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read the study (because I would have to buy it), but I wonder if this isn't more about pattern matching than word recognition. All animals depend on that facility in order to engage successfully with their environment. Isolating a changeable set of lines and arcs into recognizable groupings doesn't sound like a real breakthrough to me. The authors themselves apparently say that the baboons didn't assign meanings to individual words, but were rewarded with food when they selected the real word out of the displayed group. But since I won't get to read the article I am just speculating.
Posts: 6764 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they eventually determine that Koko, the chimp who did sign language, was relying on facial cues from the testers? I wonder if they screened that out.
Posts: 40801 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page