Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » OWS Last Gasp... May Day Fizzle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OWS Last Gasp... May Day Fizzle
0rnery
Member # 398

- posted      Profile for 0rnery   Email 0rnery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is it the Tea Party has been so successful without all the violence, anarchy and arrests? Is anybody here actually proud of these antics (“diversity of tactics”)?

Whether this (bowel) movement continues or not, doesn't really seem to matter. Might consider actually having a plan next time around...

Posts: 352 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you associating May Day with OWS? I've seen a lot of attempts to do so, but they baffle me; May Day is for anarchists.
Posts: 19684 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought May Day was for communists and the labor movement.
Posts: 2609 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it was. In the early 1900s, May Day was all about communism and the rise of the proletariat. About three decades ago, it got seized by the anarchists. While there may be a small intersection between either of those groups' interests and OWS, I think any OWS "involvement" in May Day protests would be due purely to such an incidental intersection; there's not any obvious ideological linkage between the two.
Posts: 19684 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0rnery
Member # 398

- posted      Profile for 0rnery   Email 0rnery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Occupy Wall Street’s May Day Strike: a March for Relevance

Five months after the movement's birthplace was raided, Occupy Wall Street planned marches across the country on May 1, also known as International Workers' Day.

Posts: 352 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work for Rutgers. Rutgers had a pretty active Occupy presence (we're only an hour from Zuccoti Park.) and there wasn't a word about May Day here.

We'll see how the summer goes.

Posts: 5657 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

It's worth noting that any coverage from the Post or the Beast is going to make up negative crap about OWS. They hate it, for reasons I've never completely understood.
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 0rnery:
How is it the Tea Party has been so successful without all the violence, anarchy and arrests?

It has a lot better funding?
Posts: 3382 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem when you exclude the 1 percent; you lose 90 percent of the money. [Smile]
Posts: 7433 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

One of the single highest priorities of the Occupy movement has been to resist co-option from other entities. It has been largely successful at this, but naturally that has cost it financial support and media coverage.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page