Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » An actual apology

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An actual apology
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many public figures just toss out an "I'm sorry if I offended anyone" and try to pretend that whatever they did never happened.

Jason Alexander gave a great example of how to apologize.

outsports.com

I was trying to figure out which bits to quote to give an idea of how great it was, but you really have to read the whole thing. I will settle for the closing paragraphs (but you really should go an read the whole thing, he does a great job of walking you through what he was thinking when he did it, how he first reacted when he was told it had been offensive, how he re-examined what he had done, how it was offensive, and how he felt knowing that he had offended some):

quote:
So, I would like to say – I now get it. And to the extent that these jokes made anyone feel even more isolated or misunderstood or just plain hurt – please know that was not my intention, at all or ever. I hope we will someday live in a society where we are so accepting of each other that we can all laugh at jokes like these and know that there is no malice or diminishment intended.

But we are not there yet.

So, I can only apologize and I do. In comedy, timing is everything. And when a group of people are still fighting so hard for understanding, acceptance, dignity and essential rights – the time for some kinds of laughs has not yet come. I hope my realization brings some comfort.

Thanks,
Jason

Posts: 3382 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, that's a class act.
Posts: 19688 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was excellent.
Posts: 7093 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Eloquent

I wish I had the ego to admit my mistakes and apologize as well.

Totally off topic, did he undergo a hair transplant?

From Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Alexander

From the website:
http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/06/03/jason-alexander-offers-the-greatest-apology-in-history-for-gay-cricket-jokes/

[ June 04, 2012, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Posts: 3433 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the original joke?
Posts: 36638 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you read the link? He said cricket is kind of gay.
Posts: 5606 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like his transparency. He didn't apologize if *you* were offended, the classic non-apology, but recapitulated the process that led to him realizing that he had offended some people.
Posts: 5607 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

- posted      Profile for Hannibal   Email Hannibal   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did he undergo hair transplant ?!?!? or not

[ June 07, 2012, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Hannibal ]

Posts: 3433 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should he apologize for that, too? FWIW, he has worn wigs in lots of photos.
Posts: 5607 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

No, I am just obsessive about getting answers to stuff I want to know and can seem to find an answer too thats all.

I dont care what he does in his personal life.

LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can google it, took me 5 seconds to find out - it is a permanent hair piece.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/jason-alexander-hair-mystery-solved

Posts: 7093 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hannibal
Member # 1339

Thanks

He did not look like this 10 years ago, but thanks

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page