Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » ID quiz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ID quiz
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ID as in Independence Day quiz. I missed 2 out of 20.

Good luck, I'm sure most Ornerary folks will do well.

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! 19 out of twenty - I only missed the Susan B Anthony one, and I bet if I had gone to primary school in the USA, I probably would have known that one [Smile]
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prolly so. I missed the one on the first words of the Constitution and another one that I misread.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed one. How many amendments? It would be interesting to see how the average "non-Ornery" portion of the US population would do.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed two. I guessed lucky on at least 2 or 3 others.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
18/20. Missed the number of amendments and which state was not one of the original 13.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RickyB
Member # 1464

- posted      Profile for RickyB   Email RickyB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
19/20
Posts: 19145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew all of them.

Edit: The only one I had to think about was the original colony and I drew on my knowledge of the musical 1776 for that.

[ July 05, 2012, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
19/20. Accidently clicked on a sidebar, so I didn't see which one I missed. [Frown]

And, yeah, "1776" helped on a couple of them.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knew all of them - 100%.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all did much better than me. I got 16—basically all the ones I guessed or wasn't sure about were wrong. Drew a blank on who Susan Anthony was, forgot how many people are in the House of Representatives, thought that it was Vermont you bought from the French (Louisiana was my second guess, but I seemed to remember that Vermont was originally French or something) and undershot the number of constitutional amendments (went for 23).

Yikes. I honestly thought I knew my US history and politics pretty well. [Frown]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 17. Didn't know Susan Anthony, didn't remember whether Delaware was among the original states or not -- stupidly said senators were elected for 4 years (really knew it probably was 6, but stupidly second-guessed myself)
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jordan
Member # 2159

- posted      Profile for Jordan   Email Jordan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aris—darn it, couldn't you have at least got a couple more wrong? It sucks being at the bottom of the class! [Wink]

I knew Vermont wasn't one of the original states because its location and name tied in with my recollection of it originally being governed by the French (which tripped me up in the next question), and I remember looking up how senators' terms work a few years ago because of a discussion I was following on this board. [Smile]

Posts: 2147 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I knew that Vermont wasn't one of the original 13 because Pennsylvania is the only one that doesn't border on the Atlantic Ocean.
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ownership of Vermont was originally obscure:
quote:
Three colonies laid claim to the area. The Province of Massachusetts Bay claimed the land on the basis of the 1629 charter of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. The Province of New York claimed Vermont based on land granted to the Duke of York (later King James II) in 1664. The Province of New Hampshire, whose western limits had never been determined, also claimed Vermont, in part based upon a decree of George II in 1740
And I am impressed so many foreigners on Ornery know more U.S. history than most U.S. citizens.
Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got Vermont out of sheer focking luck.

Or process of elimination ... since my bare bones recollection of the revolutionary war brought up all the other alternatives.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"And I am impressed so many foreigners on Ornery know more U.S. history than most U.S. citizens."

I wonder how I would do on the Canada version. They have 12 states and Garry Trudeau used to be the President, right? [Smile]

KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100%! But I only got the Vermont one by thinking back to the musical 1776 and trying to remember if there was a Vermont dude singing at any point.
Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page