Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Is there an ornithologist in the house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is there an ornithologist in the house?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a small brown bird outside my house that's stalking a cat. It's been doing it for at least 2 days. Divebombing, and then going back up. I chased the cat away, assuming the cat was on the hunt, but then the bird chased the cat over to the next lot. My HLWL said that maybe the cat had eaten the bird's eggs and that she was trying to get revenge, but it's not much bigger than a sparrow. Any other ideas?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like a mockingbird to me. They're generally grey, though.

If it is a mockingbird, watch out. It'll start going for you next. [Wink]

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has a strange call, so mockingbird did come to mind. Why does it do that?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it's an evil, ornery bird.

More seriously, mockingbirds are /very/ territorial, especially when nesting. Essentially they're trying to drive off predators with the aggressive behavior.

One of my cats liked to go after mockingbird babies at my last home. As a result, whenever any cat, or any person, me included, would try to walk from the front door to something in the driveway, the mockingbird would dive-bomb. It's perfectly understandable, but scary as heck.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call a mocking bird either small or brown. The behavior on the other hand is exact. If you really want to know what it is take a picture and I will ID it for you.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

"Not much bigger than a sparrow" could qualify, depending on the size of your sparrows, and whether you're counting body size + tail length, or just body size.

I'd be interested to know the final pronouncement myself. I hope there isn't another dive-bombing smallish bird out there. [Wink]

ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They sell baseball caps with eyeballs on the back that will keep mockingbirds from dive-bombing you.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_in_sc
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for ken_in_sc   Email ken_in_sc       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, mockingbirds around here have white chevrons on their wings. That's how I can ID them.
Posts: 159 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 2923

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try an Internet search on "List of Nevada Birds." That will at least give you a clear picture of a mockingbird, a species in which males and females look much alike.

For other species, the pictures generally show males in breeding plumage, so it is well to remember that females are often brown. You can find pictures of females too, but it may be a bit harder.

[ July 16, 2012, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: hobsen ]

Posts: 4387 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it still a sin to kill a mockingbird, if it tries to kill you first?
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Depends. Do you have a reasonable apprehension that the teeny little bird might actually succeed in causing you harm?

Or alternately, were you hungry and did you actually eat the thing afterward?

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Aris, the "Ghost Dance" tragedy at Wounded Knee provides a example of the reasonable apprehension rule. If a group of Native Americans gets together peacefully and prays for their gods to wipe away the white civilization, is that "trying to kill us first" in a way that merits an armed response?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page