Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Ryan (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ryan
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
"Rejecting the family that raised him and fixating on his loser of a father? Saying he doesn't want to be called Barry? Hell, what was the context of the original statement; that should give you a clue."

Virtually no one, and in particular absolutely no one in the Romney campaign, supports that statement. But you disavow his appreciation for our shared heritage with England because he changed his nickname? Really? Rejecting his family? Fixating on his father?

Fixating on the chronic serial deadbeat loser dad over the actual honkies that raised him and sacrificed for him. Yes. Excusable in a teenager. Mitigable in a tweenager. Stupid in a treenager. Despicable in a quatreenager. Grow the fock up, O'bomber.

[ August 16, 2012, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Pete, every time you go off on this tangent, I wonder.

[ August 16, 2012, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
You know, Pete, every time you go off on this tangent, I wonder [edited].

Thank you for your heartfelt concern, pookums. It's good to know you care.

[ August 16, 2012, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do care, actually. And you have some very weird, very complex attitudes toward fatherhood that you tend to project onto, well, pretty much everyone else in the world.

The idea that Obama -- O'bomber now, for some reason -- is "fixating" on his absent father and rejecting his mother's side of the family requires that you ignore all the actual facts of Obama's life, from the personal relationships he maintains to his actual behaviors.

Looking at Obama's life, it's pretty obvious that he's not particularly attached to either parent and their extended families, but that he's worked to maintain cordial but arm's-length relationships with both sides. Like many children of divorced parents, he's clearly made his own family out of close friends, some of his wife's relatives, and his own immediate nuclear family.

As someone largely abandoned by his father and trapped between two worlds, it's perfectly understandable that he would research his father's background and mythologize it, especially since that one was superficially the more alien and exotic; there was no need to mythologize the life of the woman who raised him. But this does not constitute a "rejection" of his mother; you do not need to do an either/or calculation on that kind of thing. He's not "Barry" or "Barack;" he's both.

And the idea that being interested in his father's life somehow leads him to reject England -- well, that's just downright baffling. Is the premise here that, despite all evidence to the contrary, Obama doesn't respect British common law? Or like Shakespeare enough? Or watch BBC America as much as Romney does? It's a ludicrous and ultimately vacuous -- even meaningless -- insult.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fixating on the chronic serial deadbeat loser dad over the actual honkies that raised him"

Even if we were to accept that fixating on people is acceptable and that your characterization as such is accurate, it would still be a stretch to claim that NOT fixating on someone is equivalent to "rejecting the family that raised him".

From a purely linguistic and logical perspective, 'fixating' on one person does not necessitate 'rejection' of everyone else. Is there something specific about his father's relationship with the rest of Obama's family that 'fixating' on him would necessarily constitute rejection?

Or is your claim simply based on an assumption that equal literary time should have been given to all members and branches of his family, and lack of such equates to rejection?

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
Let's just break this down and see where it takes us. I see three separate 'phrases' here:
  • Ryan came up with a plan that balanced the budget
  • Ryan left Medicare exactly as it is for people age 55 and older, and
  • Ryan modified the system in such a way to make it sustainable for people in my generation so that it would actually be there for us.
Each of these claims should be pretty straightforward to analyze...
1) Ryan came up with a plan that balanced the budget

True

quote:
.. the CBO estimated that the Path would balance the budget by 2030 and reduce the level of debt held by the public to 10% GDP by 2050, vs. 62% in 2010
Wiki - CBO Review

You missed this:
quote:
At the request of the Chairman of the House Budget Committee, Congressman Paul Ryan, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has calculated the long-term budgetary impact of paths for federal revenues and spending specified by the Chairman and his staff. The calculations presented here represent CBO’s assessment of how the specified paths would alter the trajectories of federal debt, revenues, spending, and economic output relative to the trajectories under two scenarios that CBO has analyzed previously. Those calculations do not represent a cost estimate for legislation or an analysis of the effects of any given policies. In particular, CBO has not considered whether the specified paths are consistent with the policy proposals or budget figures released today by Chairman Ryan as part of his proposed budget resolution.
The CBO didn't project what actual effects Ryan's plan might have. Rather it checked the math on Ryan's assertions about the effects that his plan would have. Ryan specifically asked the CBO skip doing a real analysis and instead just verify that he hadn't forgotten to carry any ones in his math.

A real CBO analysis wouldn't have nearly been as rosy, given that we can look to Greece and similar countries in the Eurozone for good examples of how quickly you can turn a mild downturn into an all out freefall with such policies. Greece at least has the excuse that it was forced into its actions by being bound to an external currency; there's no rational reason for us to willingly commit to such ideological self-destruction.

quote:
2) Ryan left Medicare exactly as it is for people age 55 and older,

True

That's fair enough. But it's amusing to not that this would be called vote buying, corruption, pandering to select constituencies, etc... if it weren't coming from an ideologically approved source. I have no problem with it-- in context in would be good policy-- but I do think it is a bit hypocritical to support this and then say that the ARRA is full of payoffs just because it had some elements that were similarly targeted at groups where they would be most productive.

The exception also serves as a direct admission that the new system is not nearly as secure or certain as the old one, given that there should be no need for people to be able to recover from having the rug pulled out from under them at all if it was even an equivalent system, never mind an improved one, nevermind having to shelter anyone from the changes.

quote:
3) Ryan modified the system in such a way to make it sustainable for people in my generation so that it would actually be there for us.

The second statement being true makes this statement impossible to be true; it's pure bunk right out of the gate. It destroys Medicare for all but those over 55, and then creates something completely different, and comparatively useless under the same name. Medicare, by any meaningful use of the term will not be there for anyone under 55. Something completely different with a label that reads "Medicare" slapped on it might be there instead. And that's assuming that it hasn't quite yet gotten around to being thrown our completely by then because of how poorly it would be performing, particularly for those that can't afford the costs that would be shifted on to them.

The basic premise of the phrase is false as well- two portions of Medicare (B,D) have no sustainability issues; there is no projected chance of them having a shortfall in the next 75 years or beyond. It's only A and C, which are tied to an arbitrary trust fund, that have issues. The entire sustainability issue could be resolved, preserving Medicare itself, by simply eliminating the trust fund and switching them to use the same funding model as B and D. The same goes for Social Security. It would be a double win- no more manufactured "sustainability crisis" and no more regressive FICA tax. Triple win, actually, because it would mean more stable federal bonds with better rates available to savers looking for a secure place to hold their money and from there, better returns in general on baseline savings for the private sector.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
"Fixating on the chronic serial deadbeat loser dad over the actual honkies that raised him"

Even if we were to accept that fixating on people is acceptable and that your characterization as such is accurate, it would still be a stretch to claim that NOT fixating on someone is equivalent to "rejecting the family that raised him".

It would be an even bigger stretch to say that I made such a claim. O'bama not only tossed granny under a bus, but rejected the name his real family (i.e. the family that actually raised him rather than going deadbeat on him) gave him. Barry, Barry, quite contrary, how doth your amaranth grow? Hell, Al and other fanboys take it as a mortal insult when anyone even calls Barricito by his anglo-saxon name.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, you having a touch o' the bubbly while you're posting?
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Can't afford it right now, but am brewing some homemade wine that I made with 1 quart water, one can cranberry sauce, one jar rasberry jam, and one packet of bakers yeast, for the next time that I need to respond at length to one of your posts. It's hard to deal with you sober, Al. [Razz]
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then don't try. Your posts are getting kind of bizarre lately. I'd like to think you're spoofing us, but I'm really not sure that's the case.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

"Then don't try."\

As you wish. I'll make sure I'm good and stewed before I next respond to you.

Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
"Then don't try."\

As you wish. I'll make sure I'm good and stewed before I next respond to you.

How romantic!
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

You could also report my posts if they bother you. I confess I imagine that some of my better gibes will fare well in the Insult Archive thread.

[ August 16, 2012, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
You could also report my posts if they bother you.

I am not G3. I only report posts when there's overt malice; I don't report obtuse pretension or obnoxiously politically biased readings.

[ August 16, 2012, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Those would bother me, too. I don't report posts unless they meet that same threshold of malice. I haven't done that, but I admit I'm tempted to report G3 from time to time. But I realize that would only add to the pleasure he would give himself in his subsequent posts.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Plus, you're one of my favorites, Al. Even though you often annoy me, and sometimes hurt my feelings. You know that I'd miss you if you left, since last time you did leave, I emailed you and begged you to come back.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I have no immediate plans to leave again, but G3 has driven away a number of posters for good reason. In the past the board has successfully shamed members into leaving or even in one or two cases reforming. He's here only to provoke and is impervious to well-intended criticisms or requests to be a better netizen. It wouldn't bother me if he were banned, except that I would expect him to come back in a different avatar. The good that I derive from his posts is that I don't ever run into his level and kind of blindness and intolerance in reality, but it's important to know that it's there and needs to be addressed. In other words he's a prick, but he helps keep people like me focused on what's important.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Well for the record, I didn't email G2 and beg him to come back. So I hope you feel special. [Smile]

[ August 16, 2012, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

? I don't understand what that post means.
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete,

Did you read "Dreams from My Father"? He idolized his grandparents... his *mother's* parents. Where did you get "he tossed granny under a bus"?

Is it when he mentioned the grandmother he loved more than anyone, who clearly loved him, was not immune to the racism that she was immersed in, to show that even people with good intentions can have racism hiding somewhere in their minds?

Or is it something else?

quote:
“We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special,” the adviser said of Mr Romney, adding: “The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”."
Were Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage in a way that Obama is not?
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by velcro:
Pete,

Did you read "Dreams from My Father"? He idolized his grandparents... his *mother's* parents. Where did you get "he tossed granny under a bus"?

When he publicly called her a racist tart because she was nervous about strange dudes that accosted her in the street asking for money.

quote:
Is it when he mentioned the grandmother he loved more than anyone, who clearly loved him, was not immune to the racism that she was immersed in, to show that even people with good intentions can have racism hiding somewhere in their minds?
Yeah, that's the lefty spin on it. [Smile]

quote:
“We are part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage, and he feels that the special relationship is special,” the adviser said of Mr Romney, adding: “The White House didn’t fully appreciate the shared history we have”."
----------
Were Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice part of an Anglo-Saxon heritage in a way that Obama is not?

Apparently, because they didn't reject their anglo saxon nicknames in favor of Ooga Booga Sadaam Mohamed Jihad Qaddafi and Hashishin Fatwa Mogadishu.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

You're stoned and you're not pretty when you get that way. Dry out.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I feel pretty
Oh so pretty
I feel pretty,
and witty
and bright!
And I pity
any girl
that isn't me
tonight.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Dude, if you'd admit that your religion is Obamist, I'd take more care to not take his name in vain in front of you. [Razz]
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

n'mind. Somebody get him a bucket. buh-bye.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

[Big Grin]
Pete at Home
Member # 429

But seriously, you must admit that your messiah's name, especially the Hussein Obama part, puts you between Barrack and a hard place.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
I do care, actually. And you have some very weird, very complex attitudes toward fatherhood that you tend to project onto, well, pretty much everyone else in the world.

I don't know what you mean. Do you? I don't think that "people need daddies" is particularly complicated or weird, though you seem to find it convenient to label it so for the SSM argument.

quote:
The idea that Obama -- O'bomber now, for some reason

That just was a wee touch of the Irish.

quote:
-- is "fixating" on his absent father and rejecting his mother's side of the family requires that you ignore all the actual facts of Obama's life, from the personal relationships he maintains to his actual behaviors.

Not really, since you go in to identify the issues that I was alluding to.

quote:
Looking at Obama's life, it's pretty obvious that he's not particularly attached to either parent and their extended families, but that he's worked to maintain cordial but arm's-length relationships with both sides. Like many children of divorced parents, he's clearly made his own family out of close friends, some of his wife's relatives, and his own immediate nuclear family.

As someone largely abandoned by his father and trapped between two worlds, it's perfectly understandable that he would research his father's background and mythologize it, especially since that one was superficially the more alien and exotic; there was no need to mythologize the life of the woman who raised him.

That's fairly astute analysis.

quote:
But this does not constitute a "rejection" of his mother; you do not need to do an either/or calculation on that kind of thing. He's not "Barry" or "Barack;" he's both.

Tell that to Al when he starts griping that we're demeaning Barry by referring to him with the Matrinome that he rejected at 18.

quote:
And the idea that being interested in his father's life somehow leads him to reject England -- well, that's just downright baffling. Is the premise here that, despite all evidence to the contrary, Obama doesn't respect British common law? Or like Shakespeare enough? Or watch BBC America as much as Romney does? It's a ludicrous and ultimately vacuous -- even meaningless -- insult.

Yes, statements very often do seem meaningless, ludicrous, and baffling when you repeat them completely out of context, as if they came out of the blue.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

quote:
Tell that to Al when he starts griping that we're demeaning Barry by referring to him with the Matrinome that he rejected at 18.
Until I was 13, I was "Tommy" to my family. At 13, I made it manifestly clear that I was "Tom" to everyone else, but those who had known me before and those who were in my close family could still call me "Tommy." To my clients, I introduce myself as "Mr. Davidson," because I believe a bit of formality in business dealings is a good thing; I introduce myself the same way to my daughters' friends, for a similar reason.

If someone I knew disliked me were to start calling me "Tommy," or "Mr D'avidson," I would know that they were doing it out of disrespect. It's a minor, silly thing, but Republicans in particular play that sort of game a lot, just to establish pecking orders; notice how Hillary Clinton is never "Secretary Clinton," and the Democratic Party is always "the Democrat Party." It's both sophomoric dominance games and a deliberate attempt to control the semiotics of the conversation.

So, yeah, you don't call the President "Barry" unless he's invited you to do it. Some -- like "Dubya" and "Ike" -- welcome that sort of down-home familiarity; some men, even after reaching adulthood, like to be called "Tommy" by other adults. But others don't, and it's impolite to opt for the more familiar option as a default.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

"So, yeah, you don't call the President "Barry" unless he's invited you to do it."

Prissy, Tom. Americans have always called their presidents whatever we felt like. That's one of the nifty things about freedom of speech.

And aren't you a bit embarrassed to go on about "disrespect" after flailing at me over "daddy issues"?

Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't call the British Queen "Ms.";
tain't as nice as Elizabeth is.
But I think that the Queen
would be even less keen
to have herself mentioned as Liz.

-Isaac Asimov

[ August 16, 2012, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: Aris Katsaris ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

quote:
Americans have always called their presidents whatever we felt like. That's one of the nifty things about freedom of speech.
I think you're confusing the legal right to call the President "dickwad" with the question of whether or not doing so is insulting and disrespectful.

And, no, I don't see anything at all contradictory between observing that you have certain issues and noting that calling the president by a diminutive nickname with the intent to diminish him is not respectful to him and to any others in the conversation who do not share your assessment.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

LoL. That's what happens when you try to appeal to Tom's conscience. Give him a hand, folks. [Big Grin] And he'll never admit that he just pulled that "daddy issues" accusation out of his ear, along with his bizarre "recollection" of some conversation where I'd supposedly said I was gay. Whatever, man. If hostile psychoanalysis is good manners in your neck of the Wisconsin woods, then I'll just continue to fly over it.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

Can you explain what connection you see between remarking on your obvious "daddy issues" and noting that presumptively calling the president by diminutives to diminish him is disrespectful? I see no reason why one might preclude the other.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

You're right, Tom; there's no reason you can't wax sanctimonious about "respect" while behaving like a bully and a thug.

[ August 16, 2012, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

TomDavidson
Member # 99

Thugs speculate about people's "daddy issues?"
Man, you have a higher class of thug out there in Nevada.

velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
When he publicly called her a racist tart
That's beneath you, Pete.
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

You overestimate me, I fear. [Frown] And I think you underestimate the horror in which "racism" is held in American circles these days.

It's a very threatening experience for a woman to be solicited by a panhandler on the street, and for the Prez to treat that as "racism" was a little mansplainish.

Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That always reminds of the scene in Speaker for the Dead when

----I'm pretty sure anyone who cares has already read it, but **spoiler** ----

during the deconstruction of the titular dead guy, it comes out that he was sterile, and his son jumps up and shouts 'That is a lie. My mother is not a slut!'

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

quote:
And I think you underestimate the horror in which "racism" is held in American circles these days.
I'm an American, and I don't hold it in such horror. Do you think Bill Cosby is a bad person because he has admitted to being nervous when approached by stereotypical-looking young black men? (It's worth noting that he made that admission precisely because he was arguing that it doesn't make him a bad person, and that latent prejudice is a problem that needs to be attacked from multiple directions.)
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page