Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » More news out of Pakistan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More news out of Pakistan
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/pakistani-bounty-put-head-anti-islam-film-maker-200756472.html

quote:
PESHAWAR (Reuters) - A Pakistani minister offered $100,000 on Saturday to anyone who kills the maker of an online video which insults Islam, as sporadic protests rumbled on across parts of the Muslim world.

"I announce today that this blasphemer, this sinner who has spoken nonsense about the holy Prophet, anyone who murders him, I will reward him with $100,000," Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilour told a news conference, to applause.

"I invite the Taliban brothers and the al Qaeda brothers to join me in this blessed mission."

A spokesman for Pakistan's prime minister said the government disassociated itself from the minister's statement.

Distancing itself?

How about putting the whore under arrest?

Doesn't Pakistan officially pretend that their Taliban brothers and Al Qaeda brothers are a national enemy? Is it enough for the government to "distance itself" when an agent of the very government solicits murder and pledges allegiance to the very "brothers" who murdered their former prime minister?

[ September 23, 2012, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you disagreed with me re Spike Lee, but do you agree that this is soliciting Murder:

""I announce today that this blasphemer, this sinner who has spoken nonsense about the holy Prophet, anyone who murders him, I will reward him with $100,000," Railways Minister Ghulam Ahmad Bilour told a news conference"

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no doubt that, by American standards (and any other that I can imagine) that Ghulam is soliciting murder. There is no question about his intent in that announcement. [Mad]

Heck, he even uses the word murder (if translated correctly).

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Distancing itself? How about putting the whore under arrest?"

I doubt the minister is a whore, but I would support placing him under arrest, providing it was a serious gesture. I'm not sure how it could be interpreted as anything other than a serious comment, but I'd be appeased if he just apologized and retracted the comment quickly.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Pakistani law actually criminalize his offer? Is even reprimanding or dismissing him for it actually politically feasible or even permissible in their system? People seem to be asking for this matter to be dealt with using US legal standards, not the ones that he's actually subject to.

If they don't actually have the grounds or ability to act, the entire discussion it amusing for how it parallels the demands for the US to arrest or punish the maker of the film, despite the fact that we have no legal grounds to do so.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Pakistani law is a mishmash of Sharia and English common law. I find it difficult to believe that solicitation of murder is not a crime in Pakistan.

And Pyr, he said "murder." Specifically.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/09/24/pakistani-railway-minister-ill-pay-100000-to-anyone-who-kills-the-mohammed-filmmaker/
quote:
U.S. foreign policy is in a very, very confused place when Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sounds more sanguine about the latest insult to Islam than our ostensible allies do. In Egypt, an atheist who uploaded the Mohammed movie to YouTube was beaten during his interrogation by police and will stand trial for blasphemy next Wednesday. In Pakistan, one member of the coalition government can’t wait that long for “justice”: [quotes PK minister]

quote:
Bilour said Saturday that he would pay the reward money out of his own pocket. He also appealed to al-Qaida and Taliban militants to contribute to “a noble cause” of eliminating the filmmaker…

Bilour’s comments appealing to al-Qaida and the Taliban also struck a nerve within his own party, which is considered anti-Taliban and has lost several leaders in the fight against the insurgency.

His party, believe it or not, is considered secularist. Whether this guy has simply gone rogue or whether he sees political advantage in pandering to Pakistan’s many fanatics with bloody demagoguery, only he knows. But he told the Daily Telegraph today that he refuses to withdraw the bounty, despite pressure from the government and his party to do so. The onus is now on Zardari to fire him, but that’s complicated by the fact that Zardari’s out of the country right now. He’s at the UN, where he’s preparing to speak out against … freedom of speech:

His comments will intensify pressure on President Asif Zardari to sack his defiant minister when he returns from addressing the United Nations General Assembly this week, where he is expected to call for an international anti-blasphemy law and compare it to laws in Europe which outlaw ‘Holocaust denial.’

If a majority votes for a "blasphemy" law, then we should seriously considering withdrawing from the UN. That's unacceptable.

OTOH, they have nailed Europeans with reference to the Holocaust denial law. [Roll Eyes]

[ September 25, 2012, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
"Distancing itself? How about putting the whore under arrest?"

I doubt the minister is a whore

Let me introduce you my to little friend, Merriam Webster:
quote:
whore
noun \ˈhȯr, ˈhu̇r\
Definition of WHORE
: a woman who engages in sexual acts for money : prostitute; also : a promiscuous or immoral woman
: a male who engages in sexual acts for money
: a venal or unscrupulous person

[ September 25, 2012, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page