Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Gore's Mile High Excuse (Solution: Obama in a Darth Vader mask)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gore's Mile High Excuse (Solution: Obama in a Darth Vader mask)
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://times247.com/articles/gore-obama-done-in-by-denver-altitude

quote:
Obama arrived in Denver at 2PM today, just a few hours before the debate started. Romney did his debate prep in Denver.
While I can't help the quip, the mile-high excuse, I actually think that Gore has offered the simplest and most plausible reason for the astonishing difference in performance.

Still, the effect of altitude and performance has been known for decades. Olympic athletes prep for it. Barry should have been prepared with a Darth Vader style pressurized oxygen suit. Hiding his face like that would have improved the impression as well.

[ October 04, 2012, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A candidate in a Darth Vader suit would actually make me watch the debate.
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We could always bring back Dick Cheney and play the music. [Smile]
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
While I can't help the quip, the mile-high excuse, I actually think that Gore has offered the simplest and most plausible reason for the astonishing difference in performance.

The Goracle's reasoning is simple but that should surprise nobody. This is such an absurdly weak excuse for the SCOAMF's failure. From Denver.org's tips:
  • DRINK WATER!
  • Monitor Your Alcohol Intake
  • Eat Foods High in potassium
  • Watch Your Physical Activity
  • Pack for Sun
  • Dress in Layers
I don't think any of these really apply to the situation. The City of Denver says:
quote:
Just follow these simple tips and you will very likely not even notice the difference.
You will very likely not even notice the difference. I've been to Denver many times, only on really long runs have I noticed anything.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone with way too much time on his hands should re-do the video, putting Obama in a Darth Vader mask, and dubbing new answers in a Darth Vader voice.

Anyone want to help me write the script? I mean a real Obama-boy or Obama-girl, who thinks he/she can capture of what Obama would have said if he were properly oxygenated.

quote:
¶ JIM LEHRER: Good evening from the Magness Arena at the University of Denver in Denver, Colorado. I’m Jim Lehrer of the PBS NewsHour, and I welcome you to the first of the 2012 presidential debates between President Barack Obama, the Democratic nominee, and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, the Republican nominee.

¶ This debate and the next three -- two presidential, one vice- presidential -- are sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates.

¶ Tonight’s 90 minutes will be about domestic issues, and will follow a format designed by the commission. There will be six roughly 15-minute segments, with two-minute answers for the first question, then open discussion for the remainder of each segment.

¶ Thousands of people offered suggestions on segment subjects of questions via the Internet and other means, but I made the final selections, and for the record, they were not submitted for approval to the commission or the candidates.

¶ The segments, as I announced in advance, will be three on the economy and one each on health care, the role of government, and governing, with an emphasis throughout on differences, specifics and choices. Both candidates will also have two-minute closing statements.

¶ The audience here in the hall has promised to remain silent. No cheers, applause, boos, hisses -- among other noisy distracting things -- so we may all concentrate on what the candidates have to say. There is a noise exception right now, though, as we welcome President Obama and Governor Romney. (Cheers, applause.)

¶ Gentlemen, welcome to you both.

¶ Let’s start the economy, segment one. And let’s begin with jobs. What are the major differences between the two of you about how you would go about creating new jobs? You have two minutes -- each of you have two minutes to start. The coin toss has determined, Mr. President, you go first. President Obama?

¶ PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: Well, thank you very much, Jim, for this opportunity. I want to thank Governor Romney and the University of Denver for your hospitality.

I should also explain my unusual attire. I received an emergency call from Senator Al Gore, warning me about the difficulties of moving quickly to a low-oxygen city before the debates. I offered a spare suit for Mr. Romney prior to the debate, should he feel disadvantaged, but he declined.

¶ There are a lot of points that I want to make tonight, but the most important one is that 20 years ago I became the luckiest man on earth because Michelle Obama agreed to marry me. (Laughter.) And so I just want to wish, Sweetie, you happy anniversary and let you know that a year from now, we will not be celebrating it in front of 40 million people. And I'll be wearing a different suit. (Laughter.)

[ October 04, 2012, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That excuse for why Obama did bad is just grasping at straws. Gore used to be a smart guy and wasn't nearly that partisan. He's become a sad joke.

A much more likely explanation is that Obama was busy campaigning and fund raising and so didn't spend nearly enough time preparing for the debate. He was cocky and thought he could wing it.

When Romney turned out to be rested, knowledgeable and assertive, Obama was caught flat-footed and fell on his face. I doubt he'll make the same mistake again, but on the other hand he'd better start prepping quickly. The next debate is 12 days away. That's not a whole lot of time for a complete remake in the middle of a tight and busy campaign.

In the mean time we get to watch Ryan vs Biden. The thought of that has got to have a lot of Team Obama nervous after last night.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:
That excuse for why Obama did bad is just grasping at straws.

Gasping, more like, for oxygen. And for a Teleprompter! Just look at his "damnit why didn't I say this" moments when he has both oxygen and careful coaching by his keepers!

Give the man -- and his coaches -- a break. It's not like a reasonable person could have predicted that (gasp) Romney would turn out to be more like the Governor he was for 4 years than the Tea Party pincushion that he's been for the last 9 months. No reasonable person could have predicted that. Only I did, and no one listens to me.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by JWatts:

In the mean time we get to watch Ryan vs Biden. The thought of that has got to have a lot of Team Obama nervous after last night.

In your humid dreams, my Republican friend [Smile] . Biden may be dumb as a stump, but even Koko the talking monkey could be coached enough to get Mr. True Believer Ryan to contradict and completely undermine the moderate vision that Romney projected last night.

Who's panicking now isn't the top Democrats (who didn't really want the next 4 years anyway) but the Tea Party, who are starting to realize that Romney despite his initiation rites is not their man.

[ October 05, 2012, 02:18 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page