Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Iran Agrees to One-on-One Nuke Talks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Iran Agrees to One-on-One Nuke Talks
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The United States and Iran have agreed for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran."

Full Story

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for noel c.   Email noel c.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like Iran has cast its absentee ballot.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frustrating that Obama might have success on this issue, isn't it, even though his success is success for all of us...
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoverOfJoy
Member # 157

- posted      Profile for LoverOfJoy   Email LoverOfJoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just hope it doesn't go like his talk with the Russians. "Just hold out and lay low until after the elections. Then I will have much more freedom."
Posts: 3639 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lover of Joy

He got the Russians to allow him to impose crippling sanctions on Iran that are costing Russia millions if not billions of dollars. Yeah that was a real coup for Russia.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for noel c.   Email noel c.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Al,

You are misreading me completely. I am elated at this development... but for reasons much different than yours.

The last time the Iranians participated in our presidential election, the Democratic incumbent was swept out of office in an embarrassingly lopsided defeat that ushered in the greatest economic growth in our history.

History never repeats itself precisely, but this is good news from my perspective.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vulture
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for vulture   Email vulture   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The White House, incidentally, is denying the truth of the NYT report.
Posts: 1768 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

[Smile] ... And it gets even better. What is Obama supposed to do now? If he denies an agreement, then he has to explain the purpose of the embargo. If he accepts the Iranian initiative, then all they have to do is let him claim victory during the upcoming foreign policy debate, and then scuttle everything two days prior to the election.

It might sound irrationally vindictive, but they showed themselves willing to forfeit all of their frozen U.S. assets in order to punish Carter.

These people are alot smarter than their Arab co-religionists in the race for perversity.

[ October 21, 2012, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: noel c. ]

KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, it's all about who's president. That's all that matters. Important things happening in the world, and all that matters is "how it looks" for preferred candidate X, because that is clearly the most important thing on planet Earth, because un-preferred candidate Y is Satan. [Roll Eyes]

Do we have to relive Ragnarok every four years? Really?

Election season rabies has clearly set in.

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The last time the Iranians participated in our presidential election, the Democratic incumbent was swept out of office in an embarrassingly lopsided defeat that ushered in the greatest economic growth in our history."

I get that, Noel. You would be equally happy if the Iranians announced that they had a nuclear weapon, too, for the same reason. Your reasoning, such as it is, is a pathetic vehicle for your prejudices.

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

But Al, I thought that you were pleased at the peace-loving Iranian's movement torwards Obama's entreaty.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Weak taunt. I'm responding to your mind-numbingly opaque and shallow thinking. Unlike you I don't have enough information to know if the story has any merit. Using it to condemn Obama before you have that information is comparable to Romney issuing a political statement attacking Obama's foreign policy in Libya before he had gathered any reliable information about what happened.
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Iranians are unlikely to reach a firm agreement until after the election. They aren't idiots and aren't going to bother with serious negotiations without knowing if the results will stick or not.

I doubt this story is anything more than the prelude to serious negotiations in the next few months.

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

"I doubt that this story is anything more than the prelude to serious negotiations..."...

You think it rises to that level JWatts? If they were serious, then why would it happen at all this close to the election?

Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the economic damage that the sanctions are doing to them don't run on the US election cycle. They don't really have the luxury of waiting a few months till everything settles down.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KidTokyo:
Good grief, it's all about who's president. That's all that matters. Important things happening in the world, and all that matters is "how it looks" for preferred candidate X, because that is clearly the most important thing on planet Earth, because un-preferred candidate Y is Satan. [Roll Eyes]

Do we have to relive Ragnarok every four years? Really?

Election season rabies has clearly set in.

Hey Kid don't distract the other children, Just watch the magic pumpkin! Waaaatchhh

[ October 21, 2012, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Viking_Longship ]

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

quote:
Originally posted by noel c.:
[Smile] ... And it gets even better. What is Obama supposed to do now? If he denies an agreement, then he has to explain the purpose of the embargo. If he accepts the Iranian initiative, then all they have to do is let him claim victory during the upcoming foreign policy debate, and then scuttle everything two days prior to the election.

It might sound irrationally vindictive, but they showed themselves willing to forfeit all of their frozen U.S. assets in order to punish Carter.

These people are alot smarter than their Arab co-religionists in the race for perversity.

So you're saying the Iranians would be more comfortable with Mitt Romney?

I remember back in 2004 the Iranian Foriegn minister saying they preffered Republicans because they talk big but never follow through, so I suppose you could be on to something.

[ October 21, 2012, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Viking_Longship ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems more likely that they will scuttle after the election. I don't think Iran realizes that Obama's the one more likely to attack them.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or it is possible that Iran's actions (if the report has any merit) have been precipitated by their collapsing economy which might not survive another 6 months without creating a huge social upheaval in the country?

It is at least possible that the economic costs to different factions in Iran, and the risk of widespread food riots, actually trump that country's concerns with the federal elections in the USA. I know, this may be hard to swallow for some in the USA, but widespread local starvation may just grab people's attention more than an election cycle half way across the world - especially since the results of the election would have negligible effect on USA policy as pertain to Iran sanctions anyway, and would have no effect whatsoever on EU sanctions.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" Or it is possible that Iran's actions (if the report has any merit) have been precipitated by their collapsing economy which might not survive another 6 months without creating a huge social upheaval in the country?"

Quite possible, if true. Linky?

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

If the clerics have anything close to the influence that was was present in 1980, then the notion that the suffering of their citizens would trump punishment of a sitting president is wishful thinking.

It was during this period that they were sending waves of children (most unarmed) against Iraqi artillery barrages of nerve gas. A millennial Islamic world-view will embrace such outcomes.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Would you rather that they'd armed more of their kids before sending them into the nerve gas?
noel c.
Member # 6699

If I had been one of those kids... yes.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page