Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Obama plans ‘around the clock' blitz (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Obama plans ‘around the clock' blitz
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the internal polling numbers must be tight for the Administration:

quote:

President Obama will spend 48 hours campaigning “around the clock” in a frenzied effort to court swing-state voters two weeks before Election Day.

“The America Forward Tour,” beginning Wednesday, will take the president through six swing states and three time zones during a 48-hour period, the campaign said in a statement on Saturday.

Obama will hold “late night grass roots” events, “meet with volunteers” and “talk to undecided voters” in Iowa, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, Virginia and Ohio on Wednesday and Thursday.

They've also obviously written off North Carolina. And I'm surprised they aren't going to include New Hampshire, since it's sliding towards Romney.

The Hill

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think Obama's electoral count is in jeopardy? Should he stay at home and drink to his success? He and Mitt still have 100s of millions of $$ to spend. Mitt even had a final fundraiser yesterday for some ungodly reason.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Al, check out what my cousin Jimmy says about Romney:

http://thehill.com/video/campaign/223703-jimmy-carter-comfortable-with-romney-in-the-white-house

""I think Romney has shown in his past, in his previous years as a moderate, a progressive that he was fairly competent as a governor and also running the Olympics. As you know, he has a good solid family," Carter said.

Carter accused Romney of going to the "extreme right wing" to win in the GOP primary, but said he believes candidates on both sides of the aisle tend to move toward the middle during the general election."

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jimmy was a good man. He's 87 years old now and sits in the peanut gallery these days.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking for myself, I'm not so worried about Romney winning as I was about previous elections. He appears to be a good man (I generally trust Mormons) and not an extremist. I think he would do the job just fine.

I far more worry about his staff. From that quarter, I can imagine the winds blowing from the extreme right-wing.

I don't believe Romney will push certain extreme measures, but I don't see him opposing them, either.

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wayward Son:
Speaking for myself, I'm not so worried about Romney winning as I was about previous elections. He appears to be a good man (I generally trust Mormons) and not an extremist. I think he would do the job just fine.

I far more worry about his staff. From that quarter, I can imagine the winds blowing from the extreme right-wing.

I don't believe Romney will push certain extreme measures, but I don't see him opposing them, either.

I share your concerns about right-wing influence.

@ Al: Bill Clinton defends Romney's record with Bain

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

- posted      Profile for TCB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is my exact concern with him, also. Excluding the 47% remarks, it's becoming clearer now that he never actually believed in the various insanities he advocated before the convention.

The question if Romeny wins is: are Republicans willing to be led by a moderate? If they are, then Romney will lead them as a center-right president. If they aren't, I'm highly doubtful that he has the backbone to stand up to them (especially with the specter of a 2016 primary challenge), in which case we might as well have President Palin.

Conservatives have been remarkably silent as Romney moved to the middle over the last month, so maybe they're willing to be led, after all. I literally haven't read a single complaint in the normally histrionic conservative blogs I read. That could explain the radicalism of Republicans over the last four years as the simple result of a leadership vacuum rather than as mass psychosis (as I have assumed [Smile] ).

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rightleft22
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for rightleft22   Email rightleft22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue I have with Romney is that I don’t think he’s being candid about what he aims to accomplish.

When I read statements like the following I can’t help but wonder why they are acceptable
quote:
I think Romney has shown in his past, in his previous years as a moderate... [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] I don't believe Romney will push certain extreme measures, but I don't see him opposing them, either.

The statements are an indication that we do not know what Romney actually stands for or how he intends to govern.
We assume based on the past that he will be a moderate,
We don’t believe he will push extreme measures but we aren’t sure.

I understand that its politics to preach to the choir and say what you think the people want to hear and that that necessarily requires being vague but usually, at least by this time, we have a better understanding of what the candidates aims are, besides winning.

The sense I have of Romney is that he is a man that believes the ends justify the means.

Posts: 935 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
Jimmy was a good man. He's 87 years old now and sits in the peanut gallery these days.

Jimmy was never a good man, and he's worse now than he ever was, even as the most disastrous president in the past 100 years (until Obama came around).
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rightleft22:
The sense I have of Romney is that he is a man that believes the ends justify the means.

Romney is a company man. Want to know what a company man does? Review the last 20 years of Presidential administrations. A slow, methodical march off the cliff is what Romney will provide vs. Obama's wild eyed, full out sprint - unless something incredibly unforseeable happens. Romney will at least sell the image of leadership; unlike the current SCOAMF.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize, of course, that if Romney wins, we will all refer to him as a SCOAMF, since you have made it into a synonym to the POTUS. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

"Jimmy was never a good man,..."

Eh, howzat?

DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not unapologetically pro-Isreali-hawks
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rightleft

I have the same concerns about him. I think a lot of what Republicans believe about him is based wishful thinking.

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rightleft22:
The issue I have with Romney is that I don’t think he’s being candid about what he aims to accomplish.

When I read statements like the following I can’t help but wonder why they are acceptable
quote:
I think Romney has shown in his past, in his previous years as a moderate... [QUOTE]

[QUOTE] I don't believe Romney will push certain extreme measures, but I don't see him opposing them, either.

The statements are an indication that we do not know what Romney actually stands for or how he intends to govern.
We assume based on the past that he will be a moderate,
We don’t believe he will push extreme measures but we aren’t sure.

I understand that its politics to preach to the choir and say what you think the people want to hear and that that necessarily requires being vague but usually, at least by this time, we have a better understanding of what the candidates aims are, besides winning.

While this is true, its also true that the same dynamic would be in play during a Romney president. There isn't a "real Romney" in the sense of any hidden agenda, because he doesn't really have one beyond the job title. A Romney presidency would likely be very centrist, because he's going to do what he can to get re-elected (and he doesn't have the charisma or energy to get the country to move to him).

You can see this really strongly in the way he's changed since the primaries. He promised big tax cuts for the rich; now he's saying that he will eliminate enough deductions so that there is no effective cut. He said he would repeal Obamacare; now he's saying that he wants to write all the parts that people like into law. Its true that he was catering to his audience during the primaries, but thats no less true now, and its not likely to be any less true during his presidency.

Someone like Paul Ryan, by contrast, would put an end to Medicare even if the whole word was against him, and think he was a hero for doing it. He's a true believer, and you can see him chafing under the imposed moderation of running for veep. The marginal danger of him actually becoming president aside, I'd be rather happy to see him moved out of the House, and into the most useless job in government. But Romney is not that scary; he'll never deviate from opinion polls by any significant margin.

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Except for when he is running for the next Republican nomination, and needs to appease the Conservatives again--but with actions, this time. [Wink]
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You realize, of course, that if Romney wins, we will all refer to him as a SCOAMF, since you have made it into a synonym to the POTUS. [Smile]

Refer to him however you want, it won't make your boy Barry any less of a SCOAMF. [Smile]

[ October 22, 2012, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: G3 ]

Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Nor you. [Razz]
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot what does G3's acronym stand for?
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

quote:
Nor you. [Razz]

ooh, thenthitive are we? [LOL]

quote:
Originally posted by Viking_Longship:
I forgot what does G3's acronym stand for?

G3 is considered by some to be the greatest weapon the world has ever seen.

G3 stands for those of us that provide "a non-stop barrage of painful facts, half hollow point that explode on impact and half armor piercing incendiary possessing deep penetrating power and bursting into an intense flame after flawlessly hitting their target."

boom.

D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amusing but I think he meant SCOAMF [Razz]
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for noel c.   Email noel c.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sensing resignation to a Romney Presidency.

Is that an accurate perception?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Would that be meaningful to you?
G3
Member # 6723

quote:
Originally posted by noel c.:

Pretty much. He's the best of the limited choices we're allowed by our ruling classes.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

quote:

Resignation? Hardly.

It's a coin flip right now, with perhaps a bit of dirt on the Romney side that might pull it a little more toward the bottom. I think Obama has about a 1 percent lead (down from about 3 percent before the debates). If nothing changes between now and Election Day, I expect Obama to win it by a nose.

But if anyone sneezes... [Eek!]

starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If nothing changes between now and Election Day, I expect Obama to win it by a nose.

Didn't you hear? He already won.
Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Hmmm. Obama 43%; Romney 40%. Who did the other 17% vote for?

(Pardon me--who will the other 17% vote for? [Smile] )

TCB
Member # 1677

Noel said:
quote:

I'd say it's definitely fair that conservatives are very confident and liberals are a bit fearful, especially among the commentariat. This has been a big topic of discussion in the liberal blogosphere over the past couple days.

Jonathan Chait argues that the Romney campaign is bluffing the media into thinking he's winning in order to generate positive headlines.

Ezra Klein argues that the perception of Romney momentum is the result of both campaigns trying to maximize turnout. Romney wants energized conservatives confident of a Republican victory, and Obama wants unmotivated liberals scared of a Democratic defeat.

Ross Douthat (a conservative) argues that, while Obama is probably a slight favorite, the media is covering the race like he's losing because his campaign is acting like he's losing - latching on to fairly weak hooks (Big Bird and "binders of women") and aggressively attacking Romney.

Posts: 824 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noel c.
Member # 6699

- posted      Profile for noel c.   Email noel c.       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TCB,

What is your feeling? I do not spend time on other political boards, and relied primarily upon this site for my impression.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TCB:
Noel said:
quote:

I'd say it's definitely fair that conservatives are very confident and liberals are a bit fearful, especially among the commentariat. This has been a big topic of discussion in the liberal blogosphere over the past couple days.

Jonathan Chait argues that the Romney campaign is bluffing the media into thinking he's winning in order to generate positive headlines.

Ezra Klein argues that the perception of Romney momentum is the result of both campaigns trying to maximize turnout. Romney wants energized conservatives confident of a Republican victory, and Obama wants unmotivated liberals scared of a Democratic defeat.

Ross Douthat (a conservative) argues that, while Obama is probably a slight favorite, the media is covering the race like he's losing because his campaign is acting like he's losing - latching on to fairly weak hooks (Big Bird and "binders of women") and aggressively attacking Romney.

You forget to add the possibility that the media is actively upselling Romney to keep things contentious, because they make much more money on a close race with lots of ad buys than they do on a forgone conclusion with the parties banking money for next time.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's about where Nate Silver puts it - 2/3rds chance Obama, 1/3rd chance Romney. There's just enough economic recovery going.

Personally, I am more pleased with where the Democrats appear to be with regard to the Senate - very low chance of a Republican majority, with the odds actually indicating a Democratic pick-up of one seat (which is hard when you are defending twice as many seats as the opposition).

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

I don't think the media is upselling, but I also think the Romney surge should have been anticipated and was not really because of Obama's "poor" showing in Denver. I think people who are inclined to vote Republican have been cautious about Romney because of his unwillingness to be forthright about his policies and whether he should wear the Conservative or Moderate label.

The debates put him on the same stage as Obama, which simultaneously raised his status as Presidential timber and lowered Obama's because he had to share the stage with the other Party's choice. In other words, 75% of the Romney surge is due to him just showing up, which doesn't mean it isn't real. But I do think he has topped out at this point and will come up short on election day.

BTW, I read a fascinating article arguing that Kennedy actually lost the popular vote to Nixon (because of Alabama's weird way of allocating votes to candidates back then), but he still won about 80 more electoral votes. In other words, who cares what people in Texas or California or 47 other states think, move to Ohio and you could become the voter who decides the election. It's not one man, one vote; it's actually just one man's vote. You could be that man! You too, ma'am!

[ October 25, 2012, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

G3
Member # 6723

quote:
Originally posted by Greg Davidson:
There's just enough economic recovery going.

HAAHAHAHAHA, oh man, good one.

quote:
I think it's about where Nate Silver puts it - 2/3rds chance Obama, 1/3rd chance Romney.

I thin k we've gotten well into the 50/50 range now. And with about 2 weeks to go, Mitt has all the momentum. Barry is trying to win the youth vote with his 'around the clock blitz' on Leno, MTV and Rolling Stone. The youth vote. If he still hasn't won over kids still too stupid to understand what he's about, he's in real trouble here. Of course, that so many can't find jobs (about 50%) makes it hard to win them over.

quote:
Personally, I am more pleased with where the Democrats appear to be with regard to the Senate - very low chance of a Republican majority, with the odds actually indicating a Democratic pick-up of one seat (which is hard when you are defending twice as many seats as the opposition).

Focusing on the consolation prize? You must be getting convinced of Barry losing.
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think that the "youth" watches Leno?
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Yes, and they have to Tivo infomercials for incontinence underwear to do it, too.
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by G3:

G3 stands for those of us that provide "a non-stop barrage of painful facts, half hollow point that explode on impact and half armor piercing incendiary possessing deep penetrating power and bursting into an intense flame after flawlessly hitting their target."

boom.

I can agree that your points tend to be hollow, and incendiary. [Smile]
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TCB
Member # 1677

Noel said:
quote:
What is your feeling? I do not spend time on other political boards, and relied primarily upon this site for my impression.
I agree with all three of the bloggers I cited. I get spam from both the Obama and Romney campaigns (what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment [Smile] ), and Romney's emails are clearly projecting confidence, while Obama's are projecting urgency. The message from both is that Obama is the underdog. It's unusual for two campaigns' messages to dovetail so neatly since they undermine each other (when liberals see how confident Romney is it increases their sense of urgency; and when conservatives see Obama worried about losing it energizes them further), but the campaigns must figure that conservatives and liberals are insulated enough from each others' messages that the upside outweighs the downside. With both campaigns sending the same message, it makes sense that the media and the electorate would internalize it, as well.

Bush II projected a lot of confidence in 2000, spending the last days before the election campaigning in deep blue California. It seems foolish in retrospect, but it's possible that doing so motivated Republican voters. It may be that liberals and conservatives have different enough psychologies that they're motivated to vote by entirely different things. [Smile]

Pyrtolin said:
quote:
You forget to add the possibility that the media is actively upselling Romney to keep things contentious, because they make much more money on a close race with lots of ad buys than they do on a forgone conclusion with the parties banking money for next time.
Definitely plausible, but we're seeing these attitudes from bloggers, as well, and I'd think they would have interest in helping their team win, and no interest in improving TV ad sales.
G3
Member # 6723

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
You think that the "youth" watches Leno?

Let's see:

quote:
October 18, 2012 – NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” has delivered #1 results for the late-night week of October 8-12, generating bigger audiences in every key category than the time-period competition of CBS's "Late Show with David Letterman" and ABC's combination in that hour of "Nightline" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live." Jay led that competition across the board, with bigger audiences in adults, men and women 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54, plus total viewers.

Through the first three weeks of the 2012-13 season, "Tonight" has stretched its leads versus one year-ago over "Late Show" in viewers 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54, as well as total viewers.

<snip>

... Jay lengthened his total-viewer advantage to 12 percent (3.316 million vs. 2.960 million) from last year's 10 percent, increased his 25-54 advantage to 4 percent (1.220 million vs. 1.170 million) after trailing by 1 percent last year and stretched his 18-34 lead to 16 percent (323,000 vs. 279,000) from last year’s 8 percent.

However you define young may be part of your perception but Jay is pulling a lot of the under 34 crowd and leads the competition. So yeah, I think quite a few "youth" watch Leno.

And Barry's appearance was HUGE:
quote:
"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," which featured guest President Barack Obama, delivered the show's highest overnights for a Wednesday telecast in more than two-and-a-half years (since March 3, 2010 during Jay Leno's first week back as host of "Tonight")
What did they see when Barry hit the show? This:

quote:
Jay Leno, reading question from viewer: "When you help your daughters with their homework, is there a a subject you struggle with?"

President Obama: "Well, the math stuff I was fine with up until about seventh grade. But Malia is now a freshman in high school and -- I'm pretty lost. You know, it's tough. Fortunately, they're great students on their own and if something doesn't work, I'll call over to the Department of Energy and see if they have a physicist to come over."

Can't do math beyond a 7th grade level!?!?! BWHAHAHAHA, let a thousand commercials bloom! The biggest night since Jay screwed Conan out of the deal and we learn that Barry is a mathematical illiterate. Frigging awesome.
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G3: You should speak more respectfully of our President, even if you want him to lose the election. You're disrespecting yourself and the entire country with your tone.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Jay may be #1 in late-night week shows, but that doesn't seem to say much.

1.220 million views in 25-54? 323,000 in 18-34? Star Trek Voyager was cancelled because it only had about 2 million viewers in it's last season.

It doesn't sound like all that many people, including "youths," watch late night TV anymore.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page