Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Jersey Storm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jersey Storm
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright so this "Frankenstorm" as they are calling it is set to make landfall on my back porch; Toms River to be precise. Damage and power outages are going to be extensive, so everyone keep positive thoughts for us Jerseyites.

The president has declared a state of emergency for New Jersey (and other places) so I wanted to thank him for that. he did it early enough to get some money our way, and Chris Christie is putting it to good use. Mr. Christie has also thanked the President.

Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck.

However... a moment of levity: will the spray tans be safe?

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best of luck to you, VL, and everyone else in the immediate path.

By the time it gets out to me in Pittsburgh, it'll be annoying, but probably not nearly as bad as it will be for those of you near the shore.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSRT
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for PSRT   Email PSRT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw some pretty bad pictures of LBI (the Chegg in particular) last night. Looks like the island is already basically underwater. Good luck on the mainland, there.
Posts: 2152 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the model I saw, it will swing back to the north-east somewhere around Williamsport, PA (halfway between me and Pyrtolin) and continue past about 40 mile west of me. However there are many, many ridges and valleys between here and there, so I can't even guess what the effect will be on me personally.

Has it hit land yet?

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hypothetical: if Sandy were to have hit 1) exactly on election day, 2) the day before election day or 3) several days earlier, but at a time where many utilities were unavailable and some infrastructure was out of commission... what would be the likely response as far as running the actual election is concerned?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The likely responce would be to proceed as usual. Then, depend on the outcome, the winner would be declared as the side which is obviously in control of the top secret weather machine.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edgematt you're pretty close to the shore. No evacuation notice?

[ October 29, 2012, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Viking_Longship ]

Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right on the Queens-side of the East River, NYC. Quite sight! Manhattan is a ghostly blue outline in the mist, with occasional red flashing lights here and there. On the water, stormy whitecaps marching steadily downstream. Oo! Lights just blinked...may be about to lose power.

[ October 29, 2012, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: KidTokyo ]

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The barrier islands have had mandatory evacuations, although some idiots actually stayed there. Seaside heights, lavellete...those places.

Atlantic City is "underwater" at the moment, which means that the ocean has flooded completely across AC to meet the bay on the other side. The last pic I saw had about 2-4 ft. of water on the roads.

I am about a mile west of the seaside bridge, but I don't expect any flooding, at least from the ocean and inlets. There might be some from the rain, but it hasn't been torrential yet, so that's positive.

Wind is probably the biggest issue for me personally, because of the trees and branches falling.

Politically, I have to say that the President has done the job that needs to be done for this sort of thing, and I commend him for it. I'm sure he will use this to help him in the election, but I can't say that I believe that's the reason for his quick action.

As far as "Jersey Shore" habits, like spray tanning, please please please don't think of Jersey like that. That show hypes a extremely small percentage of the Jersey population. Most Jersians are NOT proud of that show.

Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jersey's a great place, unfairly maligned, and widely misunderstood.
Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

Thanks Kid, I think that's accurate.

Update: Sandy turned more south than predicted, it's gonna hit right about on top of Atlantic City, so my street won't get COMPLETELY wiped out. No gambling for a month I bet, though.

Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

- posted      Profile for Viking_Longship   Email Viking_Longship       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think people who trash Jersey think it's one big Newark, that is certainly not the case. Central Jersey where I live and the shore where Matt is aren't like that.
Posts: 5765 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

I forgot you had moved to Jersey. Is your area flooded, and do you still have power?
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little west of Matt. Three trees down in my yard, but no significant damage yet. The wind is insane. Not too much rain, just a lot of really powerful wind. I still have power. Friends around me have lost power.

A few ocean front bars have washed out to sea. The fun town pier was destroyed; fifty feet of it was ripped out and slammed into the shore.

Apparently there is a shark swimming through the streets of brigantine.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also hear that there is a row of twenty or so houses on fire in brick, and the fire company can't get to them. In this weather (high winds and very mild rain) I can only imagine the fire will burn hot and quick unless it is stopped.

[ October 29, 2012, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: JoshuaD ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

I also just heard that a house hit the mantoloking bridge.
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012310290072
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

Manhattan at this point is pretty much a wall of blackness. There is power still in sections, but from across the river the whole East Side looks like a regiment of 2001 monoliths. Dark, dark, dark...

Earlier, I saw diffuse blue flashes in the sky which I assumed had to be lightening. I later learned from the news that it was caused by power transformers blowing up.

The water on the street outside my building is hip deep. Luckily, the lobby of my building is elevated about six feet from street level. I'm on a higher floor and the building is noticeably swaying. We still have power...I don't think it will last though. It's already flickered a few times.

NYC in general is getting hammered. Flooding everywhere, buildings collapsing, cranes breaking apart...amazing.

JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Buildings collapsing?! :-(

I lost power for forty five minutes, and it just came back on. The wind has mostly steadied out. Its still strong wind, but subdued compared to earlier.

KidTokyo
Member # 6601

Building on 15th Street lost its front.

link

[ October 29, 2012, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: KidTokyo ]

edgmatt
Member # 6449

There is a ton of touched-up pics floating around on Facebook that look like crazy storm pics, but they are fake. I saw the one with the shark swimming in the street, and I think that is fake too.
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean this is probably a fake? I'm crushed.

https://twitter.com/ClaytonMorris/status/263066692429684736/photo/1

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for Brian   Email Brian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Northeastern PA has lots of wind, (~30mph) some rain (~1-2 inches) and no power (~100,000 people).

I was sitting at home last night with the wind going at about 20 mph and no rain, when the power went out. I have no idea why. On my way to work this morning, I couldn't even see any trees down.
Fortunately for us, the storm swung further west than predicted and will apparently miss us completely. Now someone needs to let my power company know the good news. [Frown]

Posts: 359 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ann Arbor, MI has 20-30MPH winds and rain verging on snow. There's a great national wind map here that is created dynamically by someone who pulls NOAA data every hour.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

That's awesome, Al.

Well, we made it, and extremely fortunate too, I think. 60-80% of Toms River has no power, but I have power. I drove around to see the damage; there are trees uprooted everywhere, fences blown down or away, trees in roads, blocked roads from down power lines, ambulances and fire trucks going everywhere.

I have one piece of fence down, because I stacked too much firewood against it. Fortune smiles on me.

cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good clean living pays off Edg. [Smile]
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

We are fine but we have no power. I am writing from work now. Power is gradually being restored in town, so no starving hordes of looter appear to be on the horizon.
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But be wary of the zombie apocalypse, Viking.

This is just the kind of situation they're waiting for. [Wink]

(P.S. Glad to hear everyone is doing OK.)

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

Got power back, obviously, and (Thank you God) heat.
edgmatt
Member # 6449

This is bad.

quote:
Utility crews from several states East of the Mississippi River hit the road this week to volunteer their time and talents in Northeastern states hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. But crews from Alabama got the shock of their lives when other workers in a coastal New Jersey town told them they couldn’t lend a hand without a union card.

Electric repair work for public utilities in New Jersey is dominated by the International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers, a unit of the politically powerful AFL-CIO.

Absolutely ridiculous. There are people who are freezing, have no access to food or heat, the lines for gas stations are stretching up to a mile (not because of lack of gasoline, but lack of gas stations with power to dish it out) and help is being offered to remedy these problems and it's being turned down? I am outraged.
Viking_Longship
Member # 3358

The Alabama utility companies that sent these crews say this is a distortion of what happened as does Gov Christie.

How is Tom's River doing? I have a friend there I have not yet heard from.

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Absolutely ridiculous."

Agreed. It's not about them, it's about the victims. FWIW, I have about a dozen family members in NY and NJ, all of whom were directly affected by the storm. They're safe and in their homes, some without power, all more or less stranded by road closings and fuel rationing. I could give a damn about anybody's credentials right now.

My wife is an artist. We recently went gallery hopping in the Chelsea district of NYC about 2 blocks from the river. Those idiots didn't believe that the storm would be as bad as they were told, and now thousands of paintings by artists are being carted to the landfill. That's not the worst tragedy of the storm's aftermath, but the careers of dozens of artists and even the galleries that held their work are ruined.

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

Viking: Toms River still has big areas that are blacked out, from what I've heard. That being said, there is a lot of support around, and I don't think there was too much significant damage to that town on the whole, beyond fallen trees.

Al: Thankfully, there's a bit more to the story. As I understand it, they were turned away because their help was needed more strongly elsewhere, but they were informed that they would have to provide union credentials in order to work.

It's a small distinction, but it turns it from a practical problem to a political-philosophy problem, and I care a lot less about that right now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page