Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Star Wars Episode 7 - The Mouse Strikes Back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars Episode 7 - The Mouse Strikes Back
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this isn't the Onion and it's not April Fools, but still I'm having a hard time believing this. However, I've read two different reports that Disney has bought Lucasfilms and is planning on new Star Wars movies.

quote:

BREAKING…. Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George Lucas‘ Lucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on. The companies have targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow as the the long-term plan is to release a new feature every two or three years. “The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith – and we believe there’s substantial pent-up demand”, Disney said. The deal also includes rights to the Indiana Jones franchise.

The stock and cash transaction is worth an estimated $4.05 billion, and the companies have scheduled a conference call in a half-hour to discuss the deal, which was approved by the Disney board and Lucas, the sole Lucasfilm shareholder.

Link

Hmmmm, perhaps The Matrix won't be the worst sequels ever.

That's not a moon, it's Pluto. [Wink]

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can't possibly be worse than the sequels Lucas came up with, so why the concern? Ditching Lucas may be the best thing to happen to this franchise. He has been nothing but an obstacle since the original trilogy.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
They can't possibly be worse than the sequels Lucas came up with, so why the concern? Ditching Lucas may be the best thing to happen to this franchise. He has been nothing but an obstacle since the original trilogy.

Not so. Lucas is the author of everything we love about Star Wars, and there is plenty to love about the prequels. Lucas just has a poor filter for what needs to be cut, which is why the best film was the one where he worked with Kirshner; involved, but balanced with a strong collaborator.

The problems from Episodes 1 and 2 could have been 90% solved just by editing out the crap. Get rid of Jar Jar, the seven hours spent hanging out on Tatooine, and the twenty-five Senate sessions, and Episode 1 was a decent film. Episode 2 needs the entire courtship exorcised, but otherwise it was very solid. And Episode 3 was excellent, better than the 1977 original and rivaling Jedi (the temptation of Anakin to the dark side was brilliantly believable, especially compared to the clunky peer-pressure tactics used on Luke in JEDI).

Star Wars works best, as I said, when Lucas is involved but balanced (Lucas in general works best this way, hence his success with Speilberg). If you want to see Star Wars without Lucas at all, try reading the expanded universe novels. Kevin J. Anderson's drivel makes Jar Jar Binks seem inspired.

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do people think this means ditching Lucas? Obviously $4 billion got his attention, but I doubt it's enough to make him abandon his baby.

Edit: I re-read the article and see that his role is now "creative consultant." So I guess he won't be in control. Not ditched, but maybe he won't be able to mess things up any more.

Adam, I enjoyed that brief analysis.

[ October 31, 2012, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: scifibum ]

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Episodes 1-3 had plot holes you could drive a truck through, and some of the worst acting I have ever seen. I half-believe that Lucas was doin an Emperor has no clothes thing - he wanted to see how bad he could make movies and still have fans say they were good.
Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had great light saber choreography, though.

The light saber duels in the original movies were much harder to watch after seeing light sabers done right.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas paid a great deal of attention to details, and, after all, it is his vision, so I suspect that the series will go down hill from here. Not to mention Disney's market and toy orientation. [Frown]

OTOH, Disney's weaknesses are Lucas', too, so it probably won't go that far. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I saw suggested on a gaming forum, perhapse this means that the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter PC series will be revisited! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

- posted      Profile for Adam Masterman   Email Adam Masterman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lucas has stated that he's handing off creatively:

""Obviously I've been talking about retiring for several years now," he said. "I wanted to get into sort of another stage of life where I'm not in the film business anymore, where I don't have to run a corporation. It occurred to me one day that the perfect person to run the company was [Lucasfilm co-chair] Kathy [Kennedy]."

I found this really surprising, considering how proprietary he's been with Star Wars over the years, but there you have it.

Given Disney's wild swings in quality over the decades, sooner or later we are going to see this:

Star Wars Episode 17: The Wookie-Sith Sneak Attack on New Alderaan
Written and Directed by Michael Bay

As the Midi-chlorian super virus sweeps over Kashyyk, transforming the Wookie race into shaggy, demented force-adepts, Emperor Lando Palpatine maneuvers his fleet of Death Stars for a final assault on the Gungan resistance fighters. Can Jawa Jedi knight Pip Lipinstip master astral projection in time to intervene, or will we just see a lot of explosions filmed from multiple angles??!

Posts: 4823 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D.W.:
As I saw suggested on a gaming forum, perhapse this means that the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter PC series will be revisited! [Big Grin]

An article on the subject of what this means to the gaming part of the franchise, pretty much indicates the current status quo for the near term.

quote:

What Does the Disney Lucasfilm Deal Mean for New Star Wars Games?

Disney head Bob Iger was asked about gaming during the conference call discussing the news. His response? In its core division, Disney will likely be focusing on social and mobile games based around Star Wars. Harder core titles on consoles and PC will likely be licensed, not published directly by Disney.

In short, that’s more or less the way things are now, and Lucasfilm said “for the time being” all current projects are moving ahead as planned.

Forbes

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
They can't possibly be worse than the sequels Lucas came up with, so why the concern? Ditching Lucas may be the best thing to happen to this franchise.

That's a good point. However, we could just see Lucas' teenage angst be replaced with Disney's pre-teen angst.
Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said elsewhere, I'm actually really concerned about what this means for American copyright law.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adam Masterman
Member # 1142

How so, Tom? I mean, our copyright is a travesty of justice *at present*, but how do you think this will change things.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney and Lucasfilm control, between them, just about every major IP Warner Brothers doesn't own. Copyright will never, ever expire.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Lucas was interviewed about Red Tails recently (which I liked) he said something along these lines: "To make a popcorn movie, you need lots of corn."

Perhaps he feels the adultish wit and repartee of Kasdan-land doesn't really belong in a 50s style serial. I think people are way too hard on the prequels. I enjoyed them, they're meant to be a bit cheesy. Another three Lawrence Kasdan films would have been irritating.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to someone else's vision on the next three films.

Disney is an IP beast and must be stopped.

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page