Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "Super Jupiter" Discovered, sticking up for our Jupiter, Thanksgiving spirit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Super Jupiter" Discovered, sticking up for our Jupiter, Thanksgiving spirit
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/super-jupiter-discovery-dwarfs-solar-systems-largest-planet-130957697.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container

'Super-Jupiter' Discovery Dwarfs Solar System's Largest Planet

In a rare direct photo of a world beyond Earth, astronomers have spotted a planet 13 times more massive than Jupiter, the largest planet in our own solar system.

The planet orbits a star called Kappa Andromedae that is 2.5 times the mass of the sun and is located 170 light-years away from Earth. As a gas giant larger than Jupiter, it's classified as a "super-Jupiter."

-------------------------------------------------

They say our Jupiter has probably saved the lives of every person on Earth. Its gravity has pulled in plenty of massive objects and if even one of them had gone on to hit the Earth it could have set back or changed life as we know it. So I'd just like to express my sincere gratitude to our beloved Jupiter for just who you are. Jupiter, you will always be super to me. Thank you.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, long for a return to the days of worshipping celestial bodies. How come the sun doesn't have more fans? It's the source of all energy on the planet!
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How come the sun doesn't have more fans?
Too many people who worshipped it got burned in the end.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seagull
Member # 694

- posted      Profile for seagull   Email seagull   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL,

Did you know that Jupiter is considered an Idol by both Jews and Moslims? As far as we Jews are concerned you can worship whatever you want as long as you don't build icons for your idols in our temples. But I suspect that our cousins are much more militant about their religion.

You need to be careful with such blatant idol worship. We wouldn't want this site to be defaced by an angry mob that thinks you offended their religion would we?

-----------

Oh, you were talking about the planet?
Not the Idol?

You still need to be careful.
I don't think they care. Any excuse for a riot will do.

Posts: 1910 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In related news:
quote:

Lone planet found ‘free-floating’ through space

SYDNEY: What looks like a young, lone planet roaming through space with no star to orbit could become a benchmark for uncovering the nature of massive planets outside our Solar System, astronomers report.

It is estimated to be about 100 light-years away from our Solar System, could be either a ‘failed’ small star or a planet expelled from its system, according to the study published in Astronomy & Astrophysics.

“To me, the best thing is that this object is a really easy-to-study prototype of the ‘normal’ giant planets we hope to discover and study with the upcoming generation of direct imaging instruments,” said lead author Philippe Delorme from Institut de Planétologie et d’Astrophysique de Grenoble, France.

Cosmos
Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page