Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » God smites Iranian Nuclear facility; Iran vows to resist

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: God smites Iranian Nuclear facility; Iran vows to resist
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
quote:
Tuesday's quake was the second significant one in Iran in a week.

An April 9 earthquake near the country's only nuclear power plant killed 37 people and injured at least 850 more, leaving entire villages devastated.

Despite the scare caused by that quake, Iran pledged that it would continue to build more reactors in the heavily seismic region, which is hundreds of miles from the site of the latest temblor, on the other side of the country's south.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over/under on long before an earthquake results in a nuclear explosion?
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ask the Starship Enterprise computer, I'm sure you could get the count-down to the second.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

I'm not an expert, but I suspect that Chernobyl-style melt is more likely than an actual nuclear explosion.
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I'll go with that. Why would anyone build a nuclear reactor in an area that was geographically unstable? Seems like certain disaster. Certain.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

My guess is that the goal isn't long-term power, but rather preparation of plutonium.
LinuxFreakus
Member # 2395

- posted      Profile for LinuxFreakus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by edgmatt:
Ok, I'll go with that. Why would anyone build a nuclear reactor in an area that was geographically unstable? Seems like certain disaster. Certain.

Might ask the same question about the 3 gorges dam in China... not one but two *major* fault lines... among other environmental concerns.
Posts: 1240 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Over/under on long before an earthquake results in a nuclear explosion?
Virtually impossible. Nuclear triggers are high-precision instruments. They don't go off because they get bounced around too much any more than your piano would play a concerto if an earthquake dumped a jar of marbles on the keyboard.

As Pete suggested a meltdown or other release of nuclear materials is a much greater risk.

quote:
Might ask the same question about the 3 gorges dam in China...
Or the San Onofre nuclear plant in California.

[ April 21, 2013, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: MattP ]

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page