Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How good are you at roshambo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How good are you at roshambo?
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The NYT has a roshambo vs the computer, it is a pretty tough opponent - I'm beating it, but not crushing it. [edit, started crushing it right after that...]

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/science/rock-paper-scissors.html?_r=0

Curious how others can do, especially those amongst you who play poker.

[ May 22, 2013, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I read roshambo, this wasn't the game I thought of.
Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
djquang1,

that is one of the common names for 'rock paper scissors', no idea where the name originated.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I didn't know that. The only time I'd heard the name before was referring to the game where two brainless teenage boys take turns kicking each other in the junk, last one standing wins.

I was expecting the beginning of an awful and fascinating thread. [Wink]

Anything even remotely like AI interests me, I'll give it a go later, I'm on my phone right now.

Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starLisa
Member # 2543

- posted      Profile for starLisa   Email starLisa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
djquang1,

that is one of the common names for 'rock paper scissors', no idea where the name originated.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1936/whats-the-origin-of-rock-paper-scissors

http://www.word-detective.com/2012/06/roshambo/

Posts: 2066 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djquag1:
Ah, I didn't know that. The only time I'd heard the name before was referring to the game where two brainless teenage boys take turns kicking each other in the junk, last one standing wins.

I was expecting the beginning of an awful and fascinating thread. [Wink]

I think it just became one. [LOL]

quote:
Originally posted by djquag1:
Anything even remotely like AI interests me, I'll give it a go later, I'm on my phone right now.

I keep AI muted but now you've got me curious. [Razz]
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I keep AI muted but now you've got me curious.
Even with the [Razz] I can't tell if this was a joke. Is there such thing as a "play on font"?
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page