Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Modern Racism (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Modern Racism
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by djquag1:
I see. So the white children should just be told to go hunting for some bootstraps to grab hold of, because their generational poverty is their own fault? Talk about your original sin

Would you say that the United Negro College Fund is a bad idea? Would you advise an individual to give money to it or not?
Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Because the most significant inequities exist across racial lines. Ignoring them and pretending that they don't exist doesn't make them disappear, it makes them fester. Turning a blind eye to existing divisions reinforces those divisions; they don't go away without direct attention.
Again, are you quite sure? Because I hear the opposite examples in regards to e.g. bilingual Hispanic education. That such attempts to produce programs specifically where Hispanics would be taught in Spanish as a separate group ended up causing *worse* grades, *worse* integration, etc, etc.

On the other hand the idea (or pretense) that racial lines don't exist seems to have worked fine for Jews in America, Italians in America, Irish in America, even Asians in America.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
quote:
I see. So the white children should just be told to go hunting for some bootstraps to grab hold of, because their generational poverty is their own fault? Talk about your original sin

Would you say that the United Negro College Fund is a bad idea? Would you advise an individual to give money to it or not?
I don't think it's a bad idea. Minority children need help. All I'm saying is that the fact that more minority children need help, proportionally, doesn't mean that there aren't non-minority children who need help as well, through no fault of their own.

I would give money to that organization, but I'd also try and find a similar organization that didn't base need only on skin color. If I found one, I'd be likely to give more money to the latter then the former, if only because of my own background and experiences.

Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think it's a bad idea. Minority children need help. All I'm saying is that the fact that more minority children need help, proportionally, doesn't mean that there aren't non-minority children who need help as well, through no fault of their own.

I would give money to that organization, but I'd also try and find a similar organization that didn't base need only on skin color. If I found one, I'd be likely to give more money to the latter then the former, if only because of my own background and experiences.

OK. So it's OK for YOU to help minority kids, as long as you are also helping non-minority kids also. Is it OK for the government to help minority kids as long as they are also helping non-minority kids (isn't that just the same as saying "white"?)?

Or is it just the criteria that is the problem? The fact that you believe the diliniation should be on lines of wealth rather then race?

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djquag1
Member # 6553

- posted      Profile for djquag1   Email djquag1       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty much the criteria. I don't think it's fair to say to white children who need the help, "Sorry, kiddo. Slavery, you know?"
Posts: 769 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is it OK for the government to help minority kids as long as they are also helping non-minority kids (isn't that just the same as saying "white"?)
When you have the option you should state opinions / suggest laws that go beyond the current state of affairs. For all that we like to argue about our forefathers writing I think their stating of principles rather than specifics was brilliant. (or an amazingly lucky fluke)

If you use races rather than "minorities" or "non-minorities" the laws can become irrelevant or counterproductive as demographics shift.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a serious need in the US to get more black males into college. Black females, no, not really an issue any more. It's only black males that are getting screwed over, stat-wise. Leftist political correctness is supposed to pretend that black females get a double-whammy, black and female, and need twice the help, and maybe that used to be true, once upon a time, but today that's just another fat lie to embezzle public funds where they aren't needed.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page