Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Fifty Shades of Grey beats the Koran among Guantanamo Islamicists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fifty Shades of Grey beats the Koran among Guantanamo Islamicists
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/shades-of-grey-guantanamo_n_3672270.html

quote:
“Rather than the Quran, the book that is requested most by the (high-value detainees) is Fifty Shades of Grey. They’ve read the entire series in English, but we were willing to translate it,” he said in an interview with The Huffington Post.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not surprised. That book's sexual politics are surprisingly close to an Islamic ideal, and most madrasa-educated Muslims have sizable chunks of the Quran memorized anyway. [Smile]
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hadn't read it; I've heard it's poorly written, brainlessly sexist, and involves a very shallow understanding of D&S, as if written by a tourist. Curious that I can't find direct feminist denunciations of it, just an attack on Katie Roiphe's newsweek article.

http://www.now.org/issues/media/hall-of-shame/index.php/violence-against-women/newsweek-glamorizes-women-s-submission

I find most Roiphe's arguments shallow and sexist, and wish that NOW had a better counterargument than "Sure sounds like a writer with an agenda that's hostile to women's empowerment and safety. Not to mention the fact that Roiphe never asks why men might want to dominate and hurt women, and what that might say about them." [DOH] I agree that there seems to be a misogynistic agenda, and it deserves a more intelligent rebuttal.

NOW and Steinem fail to grasp that the problem isn't D&S, the problem is tying masculinity with the D and femininity to the S.

[ July 31, 2013, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just keep wondering who translated it, how much he got paid, and whether he volunteered or not. [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

One of my great regrets is that in 17 years of marriage, I never reached that level of trust to let myself be put in handcuffs for play ... and now that I'm starting over from scratch, I'm unlikely to ever get there.
Funean
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Funean   Email Funean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand it started out as Twilight fanfic, aimed at the Harlequin-reading audience. That should tell you all you need to know about its quality.
Posts: 5277 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which certainly tells you something about the Islamic ideal, too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page