Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Can we all agree that this is bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can we all agree that this is bad?
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/08/12/130812fa_fact_stillman?currentPage=all
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. Cops shouldn't have a direct financial incentive to arrest/harass you. Especially as outlined in this article, where the burden of proof to have a bunch of money confiscated by the cops is much lower than the burden of proof to show you've done anything wrong.

It's legalized highway banditry.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The more I read this the more angry it makes me. I'm hoping someone comes in the thread and tells me that this is a spin piece, because then at least things wouldn't be so broken, but I'm betting this is real and as bad as it sounds. [Frown]
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article? Yes, it's terrible. I'm half way through. Will it never end?
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedVW on a Laptop
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for RedVW on a Laptop   Email RedVW on a Laptop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's yet another argument for legalizing drugs.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, the content of the story was very good. I wish the author could be a bit more succinct however. I'm actually surprised I made it through the whole thing and I consider myself to have a pretty decent attention span. That was just painful to read and that's ignoring empathy.

Got to agree with you Red. Pretty scary that this stuff is legal. I'd be willing to loose a lot of cash fighting on principle to not sign such a waiver but most people don't have that luxury. I think the scariest story was the family who had everything including their home confiscated and therefor had no money to even attempt a fight without borrowing from friends and families. (Even though that story was one of the few where the person did bear some responsibility for the situation.)
[Frown]

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really bad.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chael
Member # 2436

- posted      Profile for Chael   Email Chael   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this is pretty horrible.

My husband and I were actually driving through one of the counties mentioned and ticketed for driving in the left-hand lane without passing. I was pretty annoyed at the time; now I'm just happy that the officer in question didn't decide to confiscate our car.

Posts: 872 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
edgmatt
Member # 6449

- posted      Profile for edgmatt   Email edgmatt       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
now I'm just happy that the officer in question didn't decide to confiscate our car.
The fact that you said and meant this makes me shake my head and wonder wtf is going on in this country.
Posts: 1439 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page