Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Young Adult-worthiness of Enders Game by someone who's not a political *****

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Young Adult-worthiness of Enders Game by someone who's not a political *****
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://isthismoviesuitable.com/2013/10/26/enders-game/
quote:
In a pleasing break from the norm, ‘Ender’s Game’ didn’t appear to feel the need to throw in any moments of gratuitous nudity, violence or cursing in order to ‘earn’ the 12A rating. The rating seems to simply reflect the adult tone of the concepts dealt with.

Whilst ‘Ender’s Game’ features a young cast that children should be able to identify with, the movie doesn’t rely on big action set-pieces in order to keep its audience hooked. Much of the film focuses on challenging authority and overcoming unlikely odds and there is therefore little in terms of actual unsuitable content. We feel this is a film that will appeal most to more mature children and so would recommend that it is appropriate for children aged 8 and above, although you may want to use your judgement as to whether an 8-year-old will be interested in a film with a serious tone and adult angle, such as this.

Violence: 2/5 (various scenes of bullying that result in punches and kicks. Minimal blood.)
Emotional Distress: 1/5
Fear Factor: 1/5
Sexual Content: 0/5
Bad Language: 1/5 (mild infrequent cursing)
Dialogue: 3/5 (Ender struggles with the morality of his actions. Lots of threatening, dominating language from the bullying characters)
Other notes: Deals with themes of challenging authority, peer pressure, bullying, understanding your enemy, how to manipulate people to your ends and fulfilling your potential.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.kids-in-mind.com/e/endersgame.htm
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

http://www.dove.org/reviewpopup.asp?Unique_ID=10139

Rated: 5/5 doves, approved and recommended for ages 12 and up.

quote:
Dove Worldview:
This is a visually stunning movie with a theme of survival. The acting is solid with names like Harrison Ford, Ben Kingsley, Hailee Steinfelt and Asa Butterfield. Butterfield plays Ender Wiggin, a teen boy that Col. Graff (Harrison Ford) sees as having the real potential to help defeat the alien race that is threatening the destruction of mankind. Wiggin is chosen to take part in battle training and war games due to his leadership skills and his balance of compassion along with violence when he deems it necessary.
The movie does show some bullies pick on a character and beat him up and one teen boy is seriously hurt when he attacks a boy in the shower who in turn fights back. And Wiggin's team is in for a surprise during their final training session scheduled before the real battle. This film features themes of loyalty, leadership, and compassion and we are pleased to award it our Dove "Family-Approved" Seal for ages twelve plus. With a good story, acting, and terrific special effects, what more could you ask for from a movie?

Content Description:
Sex: An innuendo and joke about a teen boy's mother having "cheated" and how he looks like the plumber.
Language: M/G-1; the word "Snots" is used several times; A-1; Aholes-1; Slang for testicles-2; Crap-1
Violence: Explosions from space battles; a chip is removed from a young man and he screams in pain; fights and various teen characters are punched and kicked and one young man is beat up; a video game that features a mouse jumping into a man's eye and hurting him; a young man attacks another young man in a shower and he fights back and the young man that started the fight is knocked down and apparently breaks his neck; an alien race is obliterated.
Drugs: None
Nudity: Shirtless male in shower.
Other: A teen vomits in an anti-gravity field and his vomit floats; tension between characters.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Wall Street Cheat Sheet cites the "ongoing controversy" for the lower than expected early box office performance of Enders' Game, and says that consequently no sequels are expected.

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-lionsgates-enders-game-a-one-and-done.html/?ref=YF

quote:
But the ongoing controversy surrounding Card’s anti-LGBT sentiment seems to have made a dent in the film’s early box office performance.
Like I said, the totally unknown group that made the protest was just a proxy. Bigger fish were involved here, including MoveOn.org
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bet reviews are the primary reason it isn't doing well - I doubt the 'ongoing controversy' has impacted it at all.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

And the reviews aren't impacted by the protest and by the word of mouth accompanying the protest to the reviewers?

http://www.salon.com/2013/11/05/dont_see_enders_game_because_its_terrible/
quote:
I've hated Card's politics since I interviewed him in 2000. But ...
quote:
Unlike the book, however, the bloated, wooden, exploding-spaceships-obsessed “Ender’s Game” movie could not be called “brilliant” or “revolutionary” in any even minimal respect. Halfway into the flick, I finally knew how I felt about the boycott called by Geeks Out!, the staunch group of LGBT nerd/activists who are calling on people to skip the film because of Card’s over-the-top hateful homophobic statements, including the claim he made to me in the same interview that gays and lesbians “hurt people” simply by existing.

Here’s my vote on the boycott: “Ender’s Game” is a big, stinking pile of crap, so you shouldn’t see it. If it were a good movie, I would almost certainly tell you the opposite.

Almost certainly! LoL

I do have to give this reviewer some grudging respect though, as she notes that:

quote:
whom the movie is too cowardly to call Buggers, which was Card’s paradoxically anti-homophobic name for them in the book
A bit unfair with "cowardly" because it's the reviewer's own community that Gavin Hood was trying to placate by removing the word ... and Card himself wanted the word out, because it was being understood homophobically by some.

quote:
This series of transformations underlines precisely what makes this movie such a giant pile of ****: this “Ender’s Game” has been reverse-engineered as a run-of-the-mill wish-fulfillment fantasy of nerd-boys from middle school getting to command space armies and blow stuff up, the very opposite of the novel’s thoughtful examination of violence and its link to deep, personal fear. I gagged when I saw real middle school and high school boys in the movie theater grooving on Ender and his pals’ blowing up the giant female space bugs, thrilled when they saw Ender and his little friends receive the respect and admiration of adult generals in real time for committing genocide.
Did she miss the end? The movie did as well as it could in the 2 hours limit to give depth and to reverse that initial impression. Not to mention that when the boys the reviewer reviles were cheering, they didn't even know that Ender was blowing up any space bugs, let alone female ones; at that point it was supposed to be just a game.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That reviewer seems to have had an axe to grind for sure. The ethics of the book are still there - I can forgive people not picking up on them because it was so rushed, but for a fan of the book to claim the film went the opposite way doesn't seem reasonable to me.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See this review at slashdot, here is the conclusion,

quote:
It's inevitable that a successful book won't fit within the confines of a movie script. We knew this going in. Nevertheless, some adaptations have succeeded by being as faithful as possible to the ideas behind the book. Ender's Game doesn't manage this. Other adaptations have been successful by reimagining the work for a new medium, thus drawing in new fans. Ender's Game doesn't quite manage this, either. It straddles the line, and in doing so, leaves us with a sequence of events that seems entirely arbitrary, when it should instead seem inevitable. If you're thrilled about the possibility of seeing expensive CGI for one of your favorite stories, go see it. Otherwise, give it a pass.
http://entertainment.slashdot.org/story/13/11/06/1921209/movie-review-enders-game
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

you might say that she has an axe to grind. [Smile]

inter inter view 12 years ago to describe her wet dreamof blasting worse than Scott Card into a billion pieces with his molecular detonation ray. She's not all right upstairs, if you ask me [Smile]

but she's not unintelligent and she does have some good insights

D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the slashdot review is quite fair. Other than the "give it a pass" option. I think it's as good a sci-fi movie as is floating around lately and better than a lot. Even if you are disappointed it's not more true to the book, it's still a decent movie.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Hunger Games camps get kids drooling about killing each other. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/nov/19/donald-sutherland-hunger-games-catching-fire
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you link the wrong article?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still an interesting article about Sutherland. He's a kooky guy but interesting for sure.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Damn. I can't find the article I was trying to link to. It was on that same site.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Damn. I can't find the article I was trying to link to. It was on that same site.
JWatts
Member # 6523

- posted      Profile for JWatts   Email JWatts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did agree with the directors decision to drop the Valentine/ Peter sub-plot, but leaving out the geopolitics happening in the background left a void in the movie.

A little old, but on topic.
http://xkcd.com/635/

Posts: 4700 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

And funny. [Smile]
RedVW on a Laptop
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for RedVW on a Laptop   Email RedVW on a Laptop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the movie. Atlanta - Athens is an ice rink today, so I was home with my son. So while he was upstairs playing Xbox games, I powered on the AppleTV and purchased the movie. My son has asked about reading the book. In my opinion at 9 years old, he isn't.

Alex knows that the book has always been pretty important to me. As those who know me in real life consistently comment, as to whether I have ever read the book or do I realize I'm a lot like Ender. As my wife has said, she is surprised my son isn't named Andrew. Alex has picked up some of the plot of the book just by hearing commentary. So while he would really like to read the book- he's too young.

So I watched the movie. It's a good stand alone alternate reality compared to the novel. It is and it is not the same story. As far as the complex themes go from the book version translated into the movie version I think it was well done. More importantly it's done in a way that I'm pretty sure my kid would get the themes on a cognitive level.

If I let him watch the movie am I ruining his future enjoyment of the book form? I've read a lot of books in my life. And if I had to drag only a handful of books to an isolated tropical island I'm pretty sure it would be one I would take. So the threat of ruining the novel for him is an issue.

Then again the issue of it even being censored out of a high school library seems plausible as well. Do I let him watch the movie so that he can argue that reading the book for a future class is reasonable vs a censored situation? And yes the book is availible at his school but only with combined teacher and parent approval. He won't get the teacher approval until 8th grade.

So do I let him watch it, wait a few years, or simply hand him the actual book since he's already reading at a middle school level even though he's only half way through 3rd grade?

Btw I did like the movie.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Red,

no idea really [Smile]

On seeing a movie spoiling a book. I think the only real risk is if the movie is better than the book.

On the appropriate age for reading a book -

might help to look a the 'common sense media' ratings

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/about-us/our-mission/about-our-ratings/9

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-reviews/enders-game

I'd go through the various age ratings and see which is closest to your childs mental age. (While he is clearly ahead of his age for reading, how is he for other areas of maturity).

(read the reasoning behind the ratings under 'see more')

[ January 29, 2014, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a great book and a great movie. I hope we haven't seen the end of this on screen. I'd definitely watch a TV series about Bean and what happened after the movie.
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

If you do let him watch it. I would point out the book is better.

The catch? You got to use that line sparingly. If you tell a kid, "The book was better" often, and he reads a book where the screenplay was exceptionally well done, they won't believe you and may not wast time reading a story they already know. Heck, that's true for adults as well as kids.

RedVW on a Laptop
Member # 615

- posted      Profile for RedVW on a Laptop   Email RedVW on a Laptop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck I watched it twice.
Posts: 507 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found it only slightly more boring and listlessly delivered than the State of the Union.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 6842

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that he would find the book more enjoyable if the ending wasn't spoiled (i.e. it wasn't a simulation). If that part is already spoiled then I don't see much harm in letting him see the movie.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page