Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Polar vortex brings -82 temperatures to Toronto

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polar vortex brings -82 temperatures to Toronto
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who is sick and tired of these sensationalist weather headlines and news stories?

It's -20 C out tonight here in Toronto. It's cold for us. But you know, every winter there's typically a few days like that where the mercury goes south of -15 and touches the low 20's. Big deal.

But the newspapers have lost their minds. First, they don't call it a cold front anymore, they call it a "polar vortex". Second, has anyone noticed how no one reports the real temperature anymore? All we get is BS "wind chill" temperatures and "feels like" temperatures. It's -20, but -45 with "wind chill". In the summer it's all "humidex" BS, so it's 20, but 45 with humidex. Enough!!!

I want to punch these jackasses reporting the weather in the face. If I want to know what it "feels like", I'll go outside. I don't give a crap about "wind chill". Just tell me the F'ing temperature.

And you would laugh if you heard the story from our useless airport workers. They shut down the airport for days because of "dangerous cold" giving us some silliness about -45 temperatures (fake -45 "wind chill temps; the real temperatures were -20) and tell us it's too cold to work.

Riddle me this? What do they do in parts of Canada where -30 is the mean and where -45 (real -45) is the cold weather? Do they have airports in those places? Do the airports shut down from December to February? No? Then why oh why does Toronto's airport shut down?

Oh I know. Because we're a bunch of whining pussies, that's why.

As for me, I'm biking to work tomorrow morning, even though it's going to be -82 or whatever with wind chill. How do I do it? It's called a jacket and warm clothes. DUH.

[ January 21, 2014, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for me, I'm biking to work tomorrow morning, even though it's going to be -82 or whatever with wind chill. How do I do it? It's called a jacket and warm clothes. DUH.
I pray this isn't what they put on your gravestone. :-P
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do understand that wind increases the rate at which heat is transferred from your body and clothes into the atmosphere? Like a convection oven, but in reverse?
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The polar vortex is not a cold front. It hasn't been in the news before because it usually stays up at the pole where it belongs. You may as well complain about them using a fancy word like "hurricane" to describe a bunch of wind spinning around.
Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a pretty good rant, though.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I witnessed a charming argument between a Finn and a Siberian a few months ago about just how cold is too cold to put a baby outside for a nap.

(The northern culture of fresh-air napping for babies in the winter is horrifying to some southerners, FSOV southerner.)

If I remember correctly, I think one of them said -20 degrees C was too cold, and the other one said it would have to be colder than that. Or something. Maybe one said -10 and the other said -20.

Jason you would like what the Nordic people say, which is "There is no bad weather, there is only bad clothing." So true.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You do understand that wind increases the rate at which heat is transferred from your body and clothes into the atmosphere? Like a convection oven, but in reverse?
Obviously. But of course wind chill only chills when the wind blows and where the wind blows. And even on a windy day, the wind doesn't always blow, and not the same everywhere. Further depending on the clothing you wear, wind chill may or may not be meaningful. A person walking north down Elm Street may feel it because it hits his exposed face, but the person walking south may not if it is blowing uselessly at his covered back.

Do the weather reports give us "wind chill" numbers in summer, like it's 20 degrees but 15 with wind chill? Of course not. Because that would sound so stupid, because it is.

-30 is sexier than -20. This isn't about fact, it's about selling papers. Except it's gotten so stupid now that half the time they won't even report the real temperature. It's just -45 this and -30 that. And it's like: STFU with the wind chill and just give me the temperature please. You know, useful information.

quote:
The polar vortex is not a cold front. It hasn't been in the news before because it usually stays up at the pole where it belongs. You may as well complain about them using a fancy word like "hurricane" to describe a bunch of wind spinning around.
All I know is that it was -15 last year, and now it's -15 again. There is no difference that I can tell, except the media is shrieking hysterically about it. Maybe there's some interesting or unusual weather phenomenon that meterologists may be interested in. But where I live, it's just a cold day. BOOO HOOOO for us. Maybe we'll call in the army to fight the big bad "polar vortex". Maybe we should bomb Poland.

[ January 22, 2014, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page