Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » National project by newspaper chain to publish list of gun owners in all states (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: National project by newspaper chain to publish list of gun owners in all states
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D.W.:
Freedom of Information act ties the hands of the state. If state law did not specifically protect this information and exempt it from FIA requests, I don't think it requires malice. Just sloppiness or a belief, as stated by many here who would not accept the characterization as malice, that the public "has a right to know."

You'd know better than I Pete. The only law I know well tends to be related to accessibility routes and fire code in new construction. [Razz]

One of the problems is that even in states where the CPL info is protected from disclosure by statute, we have zealous anti-gun activists within those governments who attempt to blow smoke and obfuscate these protections and pretend they don't exist, so then they can act quickly and disclose the info to an out-of-state media entity, and when the dust finally settles and the courts rule that the info shouldn't have been released, it is too late and there is no recourse and no way to get it back or unpublish it. This is actually being attempted right now in my state by Seattle's city attorney.
Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related
quote:
The leader of a group of armed anti-Muslim protesters in Texas posted the addresses of dozens of local Muslims and “Muslim sympathizer(s)” to Facebook on Tuesday.

David Wright III was behind an armed protest Saturday outside of a mosque in Irving, Texas by a group calling itself the “Bureau on American Islamic Relations,” according to The Dallas Morning News.

Wright published a list of local Muslims and their supporters who opposed a law which would have forbidden Sharia Law (or any other religious court) supplanting civil authority.

Do the supportive of such publishing, who we can see upthread, still support it?

Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think?
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that both publications are acts of terror, as public solicitation of violence.

I think the gun owner publication is more like to result in violence, simply because *known* gun owners are targets for burglary. (twits who ignore the "known",part of that last sentence may be subject to ridicule)

Nevertheless both acts of terror are equally criminal plus publishers should be liable for public disclosure of private facts (invasion of privacy) and for any damages and wrongful death resulting from the disclosure.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D.W.:
And here I thought the NRA was worried about the goverment having the list. The press having the list, and what they would do with it, is a much more recent concern.

Releasing the list to the public is only one way the government could abuse such a list. It is, at present, the most likely abuse to occur.

Perhaps the next Tim McVeigh in our midst will target the publishers. Private counterterrorism is the most likely response to government-supported terrorism.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page