Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Living the alternative lifestyle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living the alternative lifestyle
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The headline from NBC: "David Wise’s alternative lifestyle leads to Olympic gold.”

Wow, alternative lifestyle. Some newer form of lifestyle, outside the norm, based on enlarged freedoms according to Wikipedia. When we hear "alternative lifestyle", what do you think? LBGT? Pangendered? Polygamy? Living totally off grid? Eating only raw foods? Using the barter system? What is "alternative lifestyle"?

According to NBC, it's this:
quote:
At only twenty-three years old, he has a wife, Alexander, who was waiting patiently in the crowd, and together they have a two-year-old daughter waiting for them to return to their home in Reno, Nevada.

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult. He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road.

That's right, a twenty something man with the lifestyle of an adult is now considered a "alternative lifestyle". A grown man, taking care of his wife and daughter is a "alternative lifestyle". What a brave new world.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me that's not the whole story.

Please?

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G3
Member # 6723

- posted      Profile for G3   Email G3       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anything, I made it sound better.
Posts: 2234 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad link.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it!

As a Christian, I have no problem with the people who live right being labeled a "peculiar people.". Normality is for the pussilanimous.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no problem with actual marriage being described as an "alternative lifestyle", so long as the culture maintains some identifiable name to accurately describe and remember that lifestyle.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the label accurate?

How many sports stars are also family men at age 23? It seems like an alternative to the normal, to me.

Good that we're talking about it, and good that it's given given positive coverage. I don't mind at all that they chose a catchy, pleasantly tricky headline.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it still an "extreme" lifestyle? [Wink]

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

This thread title makes me picture Ricky Martin singing "living la vida monogama"
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The definition of "alternative" in the title is defined by the article itself.

quote:
While the rest of his competitors are hanging with their friends, traveling the world searching for endless winter, hitting the party scenes accustom to their action sports lifestyles, Wise is hurrying home for quality time with the family.
It's not an "alternative" lifestyle compared to the rest of the world. It's an "alternative" lifestyle compared to the rest of his competators. He is a rarity in the sport, not in the world.

And the article is really complementary to Wise. "Wise is, well, wise. He knows where his head should be at all time, focused on being the best father and husband he can be. Then comes skiing."

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

It's great publicity for him and for the "lifestyle," Seneca.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page