Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » How to Submit An Article for Publication on the Front Page

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Submit An Article for Publication on the Front Page
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you are likely aware, our front page has a place for guest articles to be published.

Mrs. Card has expressed an interest in increasing the quantity and quality of the articles published in that section and so she asked me to make a small announcement here to make sure that every member of the forum knows that they are welcome and invited to submit articles for publication.

There is no requirement regarding content: all reasonable points of view and political persuasions are welcome.

Submissions can be emailed to me at: OrneryMod@hotmail.com.

[ February 21, 2014, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: OrneryMod ]

Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My expression of liberal values was just welcomed.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice!
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider contacting Stradling and asking if his essay on War Watch http://www.ornery.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/15/939.html can be posed on the front page, along with news of discovery of the Higgs particle
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMod
Administrator
Member # 977

- posted      Profile for OrneryMod   Email OrneryMod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the suggestion, I will do that.
Posts: 1260 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a brief submission for the front page:

Fox News doesn't get it:

quote:
Judging by what is being said by the atheists who are suing, you probably imagine that students in New Jersey are obligated to say the Pledge, even if they don’t want to. But that’s not true. In New Jersey, as in every other state, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is entirely optional. No one has to participate. In fact, if a student declines to participate, he or she is even allowed to remain seated—students don’t have to stand up, salute the flag, or say anything.
But it's a Pledge of Allegiance!

Here's the original phrase:

"One Nation Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

In the 1950s during the Red Scare, Congress divided the words Nation from Indivisible, with a phrase calculated to divide atheists from believers. The insertion turns the "indivisible" word into hypocrisy.

As a Christian, I'm troubled that we would use the name of God to question the American loyalty of Atheists and Agnostics. It seems unChristian to cause an atheist or agnostic to feel that they are less American than me.

As a Christian, I'm troubled that turn the name of God into an empty ritual. What Christ called a "vain repetition." It seems unChristian to use patriotism and the need to belong to pressure someone into a false declaration of belief.

I was raised by Christians but I was not convinced of that belief until I came to college. I thank God that my own parents and church did not pressure me into a statement of belief before I gained faith.

Faith comes from listening to the word of God. Not from being pressured to recite the word "God." Take God out of the pledge of allegiance, that we might be one nation indivisible and free.

Peter

[ February 06, 2015, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pete, I meant to tell you that this is a very good and very well argued position.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Thank you, SciFi. It's short for an essay. Any suggestions on how to lengthen it, or any counterarguments I can address?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page