Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Consider your privilege

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Consider your privilege
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newser.com/story/183030/mom-slaps-daughter-dad-dies-when-police-respond.html

Mom slaps daughter, someone reports domestic violence, cops assume that a man was the perp, so cops arrive on the scene and beat the father to death.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suspended with pay
Why not just suspend them? Can't their union pay them their wage till the investigation is over? If they are cleared, the city coughs up the back-pay and reimburses the union. If they aren't cleared of wrongdoing, well the union could go after them I assume.

"Actions were reasonable"
Why not refrain from a statement like this till the investigation is over?

This canned response just harms the public faith in the police when almost all law enforcement officers are looking out for the public good. This gives the appearance that the police are above the law, even if in the end they are indited of something.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
http://www.newser.com/story/183030/mom-slaps-daughter-dad-dies-when-police-respond.html

Mom slaps daughter, someone reports domestic violence, cops assume that a man was the perp, so cops arrive on the scene and beat the father to death.

Maybe? We don't have video footage of what happened before the guy was on the ground.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5 people take down and kill a man based on a bad assumption? Even if he fought back, hard, it seems unlikely you could justify that.

Maybe if he knifed one of the cops or was picking them up 2 at a time to slam them into the pavement or something...

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SciFi, if you mean the guy may have mouthed off to the cops when they falsely accused him of beating his wife and/or daughter? Failure to Grovel is always a good reason for a lethal beating.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, the old Failure to Grovel. The most pernicious of offenses that must be rooted out at every turn.

I recognize that most cops are reasonably good people and all, but there's been too much crap like this where somebody gets killed and the cops close ranks.

[cynic]How do you know a cop is lying about the actions of another officer?

His lips are moving. [/cynic][/unfair]

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

It's munga logic. If you deny that you are battering women, you are an oppressor and must be humiliated, and if you still realist, you must be crushed.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
SciFi, if you mean the guy may have mouthed off to the cops when they falsely accused him of beating his wife and/or daughter? Failure to Grovel is always a good reason for a lethal beating.

I didn't see a full account of events on any of the stories linked from the one you linked to. I don't know HOW it escalated. I don't know if it had anything to do with failure to grovel. I don't know if it had anything to do with the cops assuming he hit anyone.

Those things seem pretty likely, but other explanations are possible.

"Beating to death" even seems to rely on facts not in evidence...

Is there a more detailed source?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Agreed. I think my version is most likely scenario from available facts, but more.facts may change the interpretation. Let's keep eyes open for the rest of the story.
OpsanusTau
Member # 2350

- posted      Profile for OpsanusTau   Email OpsanusTau   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a piece of possibly totally unrelated information that might also be relevant:

In some jurisdictions, a history of family violence also contains record of who has been the primary instigator in the past, and this record is used in new calls.

Idealized use case: a prior domestic violence offender goads the partner until the partner throws a glass at the wall, prior offender is cut by shards and calls cops. Cops take in the prior offender, not the partner.

There's a term for this, Pete might know what it is but I've forgotten since I only know about it from my friends who work in domestic violence.

Anyways it is designed to capture the reality that the person throwing or slapping or whatever is not always the source of either the particular violent incident or the ongoing pattern of violence.

Also, I think it is terrible how often law enforcement officers will protect their own from consequences of wrongdoing, regardless of the nature and severity of the offense. It's really a bad, bad tribalist kind of mentality.

Posts: 3791 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Yes, in my first from case involving an 85 pound woman against her 350 pound boyfriend, they picked her up because she had a prior. And kept the case against her even though boyfriend admitted that she bit his gut only because she was suffocating and needed him to let go so she could breathe.

It's easier on the paperwork and on effort. And if the wrong person gets picked up the first Tims, there's no rethinking it when the real abuser starts up again. There's an institutional unwillingness to ever admit the first team could possibly have got the facts wrong.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page