Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » "Colorado offered free birth control — and teen births fell by 40 percent" (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Colorado offered free birth control — and teen births fell by 40 percent"
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good for Colorado, fewer abortions, fewer on welfare, less future cost for law enforcement, fewer lives destroyed by youthful mistakes. Let's get this rolled out to the rest of the country.

vox.com

quote:
A program that provides contraceptives to low-income women contributed to a 40-percent drop in Colorado's teen birth rate over five years, according to state officials.

The program, known as the Colorado Family Planning Initiative, provides intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants at little to no cost for low-income women at 68 family planning clinics in Colorado.

quote:
"This initiative has saved Colorado millions of dollars," Governor John Hickenlooper said in a statement. "But more importantly, it has helped thousands of young Colorado women continue their education, pursue their professional goals and postpone pregnancy until they are ready to start a family."

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How.many teens were being born in Colorado to begin with?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a lawyer [Big Grin]
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious if the abortion rate dropped dramatically as well.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:
quote:
The teen abortion rate dropped by 35 percent from 2009 to 2012 in counties served by the program, according to the state’s estimates.

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder what happened to the teen venereal disease rate. If they were handing out rubbers, then it probably dropped; if they were handing out diaphrams and free IUDs, it probably went up.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go. At a glance, no, there doesn't seem to be any worrying trend in the 15-19 age group.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=inline%3B+filename%3D%22All+Counties.pdf%22&b lobheadervalue2=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251879839933&ssbinary=true

(The program in question provided implants and IUDs.)

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
Wonder what happened to the teen venereal disease rate. If they were handing out rubbers, then it probably dropped; if they were handing out diaphrams and free IUDs, it probably went up.

Why? IUDs don't cause any sudden increase in desire to have sex or make them more susceptible to STDs; their only affect is to make sex that people have very unlikely to cause pregnancy.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Why? IUDs don't cause any sudden increase in desire to have sex or make them more susceptible to STDs; their only affect is to make sex that people have very unlikely to cause pregnancy.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

I think it is possible that many former teen pregnancies came from relatively monogamous sexual relationships. Also free rubbers have been around for a longer time.
Seriati
Member # 2266

- posted      Profile for Seriati         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting how that's reported. According to the CDC's chart it looked like the overall teen birth rate for the whole country dropped from 40% to 30% - which is itself a 25% reduction. So while 40% is better, it's probably overstating the case as its written in the article.

I wish they'd have mentioned the overall trend and done some analysis to determine significance and/or casaulity. Even still, seems a positive result.

Posts: 2309 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the article:
quote:
Still, Colorado's teen birth rate seems to be declining much more quickly than its peers. Between 2008 and 2012, the state went from the 29th lowest teen birth rate in the nation to the 19th lowest.
In both absolute and relative terms, they are improving.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seriati
Member # 2266

- posted      Profile for Seriati         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes philnotfil, I acknowledged they beat the overall rate. But just beating the rate doesn't show that this event had a causation, the parts of the report that showed that the rate gains were centered in the areas it applied are very helpfull to do so though. The separation of signal and noise is what I'm looking for, not to deny their is a signal.
Posts: 2309 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

From the first link in the link:
quote:
The Colorado Family Planning Initiative has provided more than 30,000 intrauterine devices (IUDs) or implants at low or no cost to low-income women at 68 family planning clinics across Colorado since 2009. The decline in births among young women served by these agencies accounted for three-quarters of the overall decline in the Colorado teen birth rate.
At the end of that link, there is a link to the actual study this is all based on. I would provide information from that, but I don't have access to the journal.

Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
quote:

Many women will forgo condom use if the have an iud.
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

If they have a reliable enough partner that they consider their disease risk to be low.
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect teenagers will take "I'm clean" on faith where they were smart enough to doubt "you won't get pregnant."
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Squat
Member # 6910

- posted      Profile for Jack Squat   Email Jack Squat       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
If they have a reliable enough partner that they consider their disease risk to be low.

Some might limit it there. A statistically significant number of others don't, or at least seriously misjudge who can reasonably be considered to be a low disease risk, e.g. some guy they met on online dating.
Posts: 278 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun fact: State of Utah sees same level of decline in teen pregnancy over five year period without handing out free IUDs.

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/measures/Measure/UT/TeenBirth

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
Fun fact: State of Utah sees same level of decline in teen pregnancy over five year period without handing out free IUDs.

http://www.americashealthrankings.org/measures/Measure/UT/TeenBirth

Ha. Reminds me of the same % drop in murder rate that both the US and Australia got, the difference being Australia had to ban guns to get it and we didn't...
Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all states saw a significant dip is teenage pregnancy starting around 2011. I would suggest there is something common that occurred across state lines at or around that time.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
Almost all states saw a significant dip is teenage pregnancy starting around 2011. I would suggest there is something common that occurred across state lines at or around that time.

OBL's command terminated with extreme prejudice by Navy SEALs.

Oprah Winfrey ends her show.

Bruins win Stanley Cup.

NASA space shuttle program ends.

ATF loses 1,400 firearms.

Jerry Lewis stops hosting telethons.

US pulls out of Iraq. US says "see, I told you we didn't need a condom".

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to take a non-cynical stab at it and suggest that perceived economic factors are probably the most important causes of the decrease. In the USA as a whole, the teen pregnancy rate actually increased between 2007 and 2010 - an increase that is mirrored in Canada, BTW, as well as basically in every state in the union.

Starting in 2011, however, we see an across the board and dramatic decrease - however, in context, the rate is only down to where it would have been absent the uptick between 2007 and 2011(teen pregnancy rates were dropping steadily before 2007)

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
US pulls out of Iraq. US says "see, I told you we didn't need a condom".
Grant... That imagery just has so many levels to it... Some of which I really didn't need. *(>.<)
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

According.to SCOTUS, the only time that the US uses a rubber is when it's doing religion. This is known.as the "prophylactic wall of separation between church and state."
Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
According.to SCOTUS, the only time that the US uses a rubber is when it's doing religion. This is known.as the "prophylactic wall of separation between church and state."

Oh, that's a much better visualization then mine!

But who is actually wearing the condom? I'm guessing it's the church, so the state doesn't get infected by it's vile seed, lol.

Oh, truely beautiful! Ave, Petrus! Imperator!

RacerX
Member # 6928

- posted      Profile for RacerX   Email RacerX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will never happen in the Red States because they don't won't fewer births, even if it leads to fewer abortions. Fewer births mean fewer possible Christians which means no future Christians to put money in the coffers and give them legitimacy and power.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

[Roll Eyes]
RacerX
Member # 6928

- posted      Profile for RacerX   Email RacerX       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, sad, right? Certainly not in Louisiana, Grant. (I was born in New Orleans, and the red state I live in now is not much better. The fact that it is better at all tells you I don't live in Mississippi.) [Smile]

Unless you have another idea why "Christians" don't want abortions, SSM, or contraceptives? What do those have in common? No births! No Little Christians to brainwash.

The proof is in this Colorado report; if they cared about abortion for the sake of the fetus/child they would embrace contraceptives. But they don't. Because they don't.

[ July 26, 2014, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: RacerX ]

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
Originally posted by RacerX:

Unless you have another idea why "Christians" don't want abortions, SSM, or contraceptives? What do those have in common? No births! No Little Christians to brainwash.

I dunno. What reasons are the "Christians" giving for apposing abortion, SSM, and contraceptives?

quote:
The proof is in this Colorado report; if they cared about abortion for the sake of the fetus/child they would embrace contraceptives. But they don't. Because they don't.

As far as I know, the majority of "Christians" do embrace contraceptives. It seems to me that the only Christian denominations that forbid contraception are the Catholic Church, the Amish, and Hutterites.

I take it then that you believe the Catholic viewpoint on contraception is dictated primarily from the desire to see more babies born that they can "brainwash".

PS: Oh, and welcome back by the way.

[ July 26, 2014, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Grant ]

RacerX
Member # 6928

Thanks. [Smile]
RacerX
Member # 6928

quote:
I dunno. What reasons are the "Christians" giving for apposing abortion, SSM, and contraceptives?
The reasons I hear most are "abortion is murder", (but if that is the case they should be supporting contraceptives), SSM is an abomination, (while they totally ignore the rest of Leviticus), and contraceptives lead to promiscuity, and or don't work.

quote:
As far as I know, the majority of "Christians" do embrace contraceptives. It seems to me that the only Christian denominations that forbid contraception are the Catholic Church, the Amish, and Hutterites.
Not having a permanent moratorium against contraceptives is not the same as "embracing contraceptives". In all our Red States almost every Christian religion pushes abstinence only teaching and fights against schools or government administering condoms or birth control. Especially Texas.

And yes, of course, on the brainwashing question.

Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
The reasons I hear most are "abortion is murder", (but if that is the case they should be supporting contraceptives), SSM is an abomination, (while they totally ignore the rest of Leviticus), and contraceptives lead to promiscuity, and or don't work.

So, they are giving other reasons, and you do not believe that THEY believe those reasons, and are giving these reasons only to hide their desire to have more babies to "brainwash"?

quote:
Not having a permanent moratorium against contraceptives is not the same as "embracing contraceptives". In all our Red States almost every Christian religion pushes abstinence only teaching and fights against schools or government administering condoms or birth control. Especially Texas.

You're right. Abstinence being taught to children is of course a different matter then an outright negative stance on contraceptives. But if these Christians really did want as many babies as possible to brainwash, why would they only limit contraceptives to adults? Why wouldn't they restrict children AND ADULTS from suing contraceptives? Why do they differentiate between adults and teens when it comes to contraceptives?

I also take it that you do not believe that contraceptives leads to promiscuity. In my own experience, I can testify that contraceptives had an important part to play in ALL my promiscuity.

RacerX
Member # 6928

I think kids are going to have sex whether they have birth-control or not. Contraceptives just gives them the chance to do it more without getting pregnant or an std. (So, I guess you could take that to claim it leads to promiscuity. But, better that than getting knocked up and having to marry some immature boy.)

And again, yes, I believe their primary goal is to increase membership. It says so in the Bible. [Smile]

RacerX
Member # 6928

Why do you think the Catholic Church is against birth control?
Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
I think kids are going to have sex whether they have birth-control or not.

How do you explain all the kids that choose not to have sex?

quote:
And again, yes, I believe their primary goal is to increase membership. It says so in the Bible.
Yes. The first commandment given by God to human beings was to "be fruitful and multiply". But then again, isn't that also what our genes and our sex drives are telling us too?

quote:
Why do you think the Catholic Church is against birth control?
Well, it's obviously not so they can make as many babies as possible, because otherwise they would be against natural family planning, or the rhythm method, which is basically periodic abstinence. [Smile]

I think the Catholic viewpoint is laid out in Humanae Vitae. You are welcome to read it, but in order to understand it, you have to understand the basic Catholic view on metaphysics.

Catholic metaphysics, and their subsequent morals, are based on a teleological view of nature. It is based on Aristotlean and Scholastic metaphysics. Everything in nature has a purpose. This means of course that the Catholic viewpoint will be contrary to non-teleological views of nature.

It seems to me that the Catholics believe that sex has a natural purpose, and that contraceptives, being un-natural, defeat that purpose.

I see nothing in there about desiring to keep legitmacy, and power, and money. So either Paul VI and all the bishops and cardinals are liars, or they have some other reason behind not having a favorable view of contraception.

RacerX
Member # 6928

All that money and power isn't a clue?

"Teleological" Man I've missed Ornery!

Grant
Member # 1925

quote:
All that money and power isn't a clue?

I cannot possibly debate such an argument.
RacerX
Member # 6928

[Smile] You honestly don't believe that money and power, (we're talking about one of the richest organizations in the world), play no part in the motives of the Catholic Church? Come on.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page