Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Jack Ryan Conservatism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jack Ryan Conservatism
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What flavor of conservative is Jack Ryan (character of Tom Clancy)?
I've been rereading the series over the last few weeks and realizing just how many of my political views have come from Tom Clancy through Jack Ryan. If someone with Jack Ryan's pre-CIA experience (they wouldn't be able to tell us about their CIA experience, so that would be kind of irrelevant), morals, and politics was running for office, I would happily vote them.
How would he be classified if he existed?

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RINO? [Wink]

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Tom Clancy's books (I remember reading Red Storm Rising until 3AM, the only time in my life I have intentionally come into work late because I couldn't stop reading). But Jack Ryan had the advantage of living in a world where major problems are best addressed by dramatic actions of an individual actor (there are few thrillers based on lengthy negotiations and compromise, followed by a diligent process of rectifying minor errors and incrementally improving based on experience). If I lived in a fictional/fantasy world where Jack Ryan was the hero, I would definitely vote for him. I'd even listen carefully to someone like Jack Ryan in the real world to see how he would address real world problems - but often that requires an understanding of some forms of complexity that are not at home within the confines of a novel.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moderate Conservative Intelligence-Technocrat.

Closest thing that matches at this point is Robert Gates.

Jack Ryan became POTUS through the most outrageous course of events. Readers should realize that he would never have become president but through such a course of events. He is too conservative for the Democratic party and not conservative enough for the Republican party.

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grant:
He is too conservative for the Democratic party and not conservative enough for the Republican party.

One of my favorite scenes is when he is asked to give a position on abortion and answers (in many more words) that he is personally pro-life, but politically pro-choice. Immediately one of his staff tells him that he has managed to piss off both sides of the debate. (I think from Executive Orders, his first time as president)

I reread the series every four or five years. This time around I was struck by how many things he says would be savaged in the Republican primaries. I've always considered him a staunch conservative, but he talks like a liberal sometimes.

He recognizes motivations other than making money, constantly talks down Wall Street, often says things like how much money does one person really need. Is pro-choice. Talks about how the vagaries a person's birth and raising can keep them from success despite hard work and effort on their part. He even praises muslims more than Obama. I don't see him making it out of the Republican primaries without walking back a lot of those statements, and even then he will have a ton of people calling him RINO.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant
Member # 1925

- posted      Profile for Grant   Email Grant       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havn't read the books in years. I was practically weaned on them from 15 to 19.

At some point in the series, the tone of the series transformed from the "military techno-thriller" genre, into a kind of conservative political fantasy. They were still good books, but after A Sum of All Fears, I felt some of the gritty realism had been lost.

If I were to choose to re-read a particular Clancy book at this point, it would probably be Hunt or Red Storm Rising. I consider Sum to be his masterwork, but not suitable for re-reading.

Posts: 3264 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say RIPO, Republican in Principles only. He follows the founding principles of the Republican party, rather than being a typical trendy politician-whore.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page