Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Friendly. A partisan divide?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friendly. A partisan divide?
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A survey for the friendliest/unfriendliest cities in America came out.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/travel/us-unfriendliest-friendliest-cities/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I looked up the representative as well as the two senators for each city (and associated state) and found that in the friendliest cities, 21 of the 30 elected officials were republicans (70%). In the unfriendliest cities, 28 of the 30 were democrats (93%).

So my question is are republicans nicer than democrats?

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps one of the charts here will help you sort it out:
http://tylervigen.com/

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lobo
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And apparently democrats are kind of snarky too...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering you are comparing cities to the Senators for the entire state which contain those cities, it's kinda hard to see the possible correlation. [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also: anyone who thinks the South is "friendlier" is full of ****. Southerners pretend to be friendlier; they'll lie pleasantly, right to your face, and talk about "agreeing to disagree," but will work to destroy you when you leave the room.

Yankees, on the other hand, will just tell you to go to hell and find actual friends to hang out with.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless their hearts.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow no blanket stereotypes going on here...

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that was the point of the thread...?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Yankees, on the other hand, will just tell you to go to hell and find actual friends to hang out with.

Only after they get done using/conning you.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

Using, sure, although that's more "West Coast" than "Yankee." Conning, though? I can't think of a stereotypical Yankee "con," except possibly in some Jersey subcultures.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My point, Tom, is that Northeasterners are perfectly capable of phony warmth when they want something from you, so I dispute your claim that they are more genuine than southerners.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

quote:
My point, Tom, is that Northeasterners are perfectly capable of phony warmth when they want something from you, so I dispute your claim that they are more genuine than southerners.
Unless Southerners can be assumed want something from you all the time, I don't see how that logically follows.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

So in Tom's world, it's more "genuine" to act nice to someone you despise because you want something from them, than to act nice just for the sake of acting nice?
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This song seems appropriate to the direction this thread is taking... [Smile]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

I thoroughly reject the premise that those spiteful southern grandmothers out there act nice for the sake of acting nice. They act nice for the sake of looking nice and avoiding direct confrontation; it's self-aggrandizing passive aggression.
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

People who live in warmer or ski-friendly cities where tourism is a major industry are friendlier than people in post-industrial depressed cities who don't count on tourist income.

Warmer and mountain happens to be Republican, largely by coincidence. Older industrial areas happen to be Democratic.

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

Then why does my wife from New York find people in San Diego so dang unfriendly? [Confused]
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I thoroughly reject the premise that those spiteful southern grandmothers out there act nice for the sake of acting nice. They act nice for the sake of looking nice and avoiding direct confrontation; it's self-aggrandizing passive aggression.

Well, at least you can embarrass them when you catch them being jackasses. I'll take that over neighbors that are entirely shameless.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page