Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Google executes the Microsoft nightmare scenario

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google executes the Microsoft nightmare scenario
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago, in the early days of Netscape, Microsoft realized that browsers could be a wedge that allowed a competing OS/app ecosystem to establish a large enough toe hold to directly compete with MS Windows. This was why they invested so many resources in internet explorer.

Now, 20+ years later, Google is now capable of deploying Chrome OS with android app support - as an upgrade to the Chrome browser.

https://github.com/vladikoff/chromeos-apk/blob/master/archon.md

I suspect that soon (within 6 months to a year) it will ship by default. With the enormous android app ecosystem this could greatly diminish the impetus for developers to target the windows APIs, etc.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshuaD
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for JoshuaD   Email JoshuaD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be interested to see how this plays out. My intuition is that building on top of the stack of java, chrome, and the local OS will be a bit too resource intensive for serious programs. It might provide a platform for development of smaller, useful apps.

The fact that it's all going through google's platform does scare me.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This appears to be another form of virtual machine, but it doesn't have the full benefits of virtualization. It probably works well for some kinds of apps, but i am not seeing how it threatens Microsoft's cash cows.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm an Android developer and I agree with scifibum's assessment. Android apps, like iOS apps, are tuned to small form factor touch-enabled devices. I don't see browser support being a huge win... yet.

Convergence is coming, and there will eventually be no distinction between the mobile and desktop OS, but we're still at least a few years away from that.

Posts: 3481 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page