Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » USA and Cuba to normalize relations? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: USA and Cuba to normalize relations?
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seneca:
quote:
Originally posted by Mynnion:
Seneca-
quote:
How about you go down to Havana, stand on a street corner and advocate for government reform and see what happens?
That holds true for many of our allies.
I was responding to the absurd suggestion that because someone likes a national-themed restaurant that that means travel to the country should be allowed on that basis.
The default setting should be that the US government won't restrict the freedom of Americans to travel. If they are going to limit our freedoms, they need to have a compelling reason. That an insignificant country did some bad things 50 years ago doesn't seem to be a very compelling reason anymore. I'm sure that it was quite compelling while Russia was propping up Cuba in exchange for using it as a military base practically in US waters, but we are a couple decades past that being meaningful.

For what other countries do we place limits on American freedoms? What have those countries done to deserve that status? How does Cuba compare to those countries?

Let's declare victory and move on.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stilesbn
Member # 6842

- posted      Profile for stilesbn   Email stilesbn       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seneca:
quote:
Originally posted by Mynnion:
Seneca-
quote:
How about you go down to Havana, stand on a street corner and advocate for government reform and see what happens?
That holds true for many of our allies.
I was responding to the absurd suggestion that because someone likes a national-themed restaurant that that means travel to the country should be allowed on that basis.
I don't think you understand. The food was reeeeeeally reeeally good.
Posts: 174 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page