Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Blue and Black or White and Gold

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue and Black or White and Gold
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue and Black for me.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both. White and Gold and then Blue and Black.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute. Is this a thread about the dress or the Inglewood stadium that's threating to host both the Chargers and the Raiders? [Confused] [Wink]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White and gold.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, wish I had a "like" button for that Wayward comment...
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue and gold
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ran a pixel color scanner over different parts of the dress and came up with blue. The dark areas are black but fairly close to gold in the lighter areas.

I have had discussions in the past wondering about how our brain interprets colors but I've never seen anything this drastic. Dress

[ February 28, 2015, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Mynnion ]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aris Katsaris
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for Aris Katsaris   Email Aris Katsaris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's appearing white and gold for me.

There need be studies about what it is that cause people to perceive the same photo differently. This differs from some other color illusions in that people perceive the same photo, seen on the same computer, under the same lighting conditions, differently.

So I'm guessing there's differentiation from person to person, on how we process color.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

I just saw a great shot. You see the dress and then you see a guy dressed in white and gold with his girlfriend yelling that she told him to match the dress [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There need be studies about what it is that cause people to perceive the same photo differently.
There have been, actually. [Smile]
This one boils down to complementary color issues and the way your brain handles white balance.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJQuag
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for DJQuag   Email DJQuag       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
White and gold for me.

Although the one article I read that claimed to be scientifically undisputable said it was really black and blue.

Posts: 476 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It really is black and blue.
What's interesting is that the first time I saw it, it appeared white and gold -- and then changed to black and blue as I was looking at it. Since then, I've only been able to see black and blue.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dress is black and blue - the picture, however... on the disputed picture, the black portions of the dress are still quite bright, so at best they could be described as grey. But as Mynnion mentioned, the pixels are not just grey, but have shades of yellow.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
white and gold in Some Pix, periwinkle and gold in other pictures
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

Does anyone else see a parallel between the dress and other topics discussed on this forum? How often do we look at the same set of information and come to totally different conclusions? I looked at the dress and saw blue and black. When I heard people saw white and gold I thought it was some kind of hoax. In this case it is blue and black I was blind to the fact that some people saw it as white and gold. It highlights the need to really listen to those who disagree with us. We might be the ones seeing the wrong color.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well aren't we optimistic.. [Wink]

I'd say that we simply added a new set of questions for Congress to ask potential Court nominees.

there will of course be extensive study about how to use a line with stablished political parties. the Krauts and Republicans will have to come up with clearly defined in opposite viewpoints on the "dress color issue" Nomineeswill need to see things correstly or at Least Pretend

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is pretty awesome and finally something that lived up to the hype.

I and one of my sons are seeing white and gold while looking at the same picture my wife and my other son see blue and black.

I showed this to my mom and she saw blue and black while I saw white and gold and she wouldn't believe me about what I was seeing and accused me of trying to prank her. I suppose too many practical jokes can have that effect.

One fun thing to do is play with the Microsoft paint program with this. When I cut and paste the picture that my wife and son see as blue and black and then snip out a piece of it and put it into a new file and then take a sample of the color we can finally all agree on what it looks like which is a very light blue and a tan/brown/gold even though the dress itself is supposed to be blue and black it seems like the picture itself is really closer to white and gold and the people seeing the blue and black are the once experiencing the optical illusion. Or am I mistaken about that? I did see it as blue and black a couple of times too but the last few days only white and gold.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm used to looking at washed out pictures and compensating, so I saw it as light blue and brownish and understood the actual color to be darker.

It's a wonderful exercise in just how subjective each person's experience of reality is, though.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see light blue and gold.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article has some good comparison photos, including one of the actual product from a web catalog that was taken with proper lighting:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/02/26/the_great_blue_and_black_versus_white_and_gold_dress_debate.html

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
I'm used to looking at washed out pictures and compensating, so I saw it as light blue and brownish and understood the actual color to be darker.

It's a wonderful exercise in just how subjective each person's experience of reality is, though.

I was beginning to think I was crazy for seeing light blue and brown. Although I have noticed that I see it differently based on the monitor I am looking at. On my laptop screen it looks light blue and brown. On a friends cell phone it looked blue and black.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page