Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Kill daylight savings time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kill daylight savings time
ScottF
Member # 6897

- posted      Profile for ScottF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not just grumpy because of getting up an hour earlier this morning - I've been harping on this for years.

DST was introduced in 1895 and is a useless waste of time, pun intended. It has no quantifiable benefits.

I believe herd-think and apathy are responsible for it still being in place. Time to kill it, like the wise people of AZ, HI and others have.

If anyone has a strong argument for it, I'm all ears.

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kill it with fire.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only real argument for it is that somehow it decreases the amount of hours people spend at home when it's dark and so the net electricity expenditure is lowered. I have no clue if there's any validity to this claim.

Kill it with smothering by unusually heavy pillow.

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no validity to the claim. We have the example of Indiana that went back to it a couple of years ago and had total expenditures go up.

It may have served a purpose before we had electricity in every home, but that time is past in the US.

Even back in the day, it seems like the rational solution would to have been to change the time we went to work and school instead of changing all the clocks twice a year.

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 6897

So we're all in agreement: whoever runs on the Time Neutrality platform will win in 2016.
Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somebody call up Justin Trudeau.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally say kill Standard Time not Day Light Savings. I like the extra hour of light in the evening.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seriati
Member # 2266

- posted      Profile for Seriati         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably depends on where you live, whether you see any benefit or not. Right now, I'm far enough north to appreciate the shift putting more of the time I'm awake into the light zone. In a month, there will be a ton of light and it won't really matter. Same on the backend though, till winter when there isn't enough light on either end.
Posts: 2309 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

The shift in the fall makes it go from 'just barely dark' when I'm done work to 'all the way' dark when I'm done work. Which I dislike a lot more than having more/less light in the mornings.
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Noble on that one. All this daylight when I'm trapped inside at work doesn't matter to me. Having daylight for the drive home year round would be nice.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seriati
Member # 2266

- posted      Profile for Seriati         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drive in is often the one with more traffic and more tired drivers. There is both a direct need for more light there and a need for "wake-up" effect associated with the light. Not saying night time is a picnic, but your body is built better to stay awake going into the night than to wake up in the dark.

Not to mention, there's almost always more children on the roads walking and riding in the morning.

Posts: 2309 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mynnion:
I personally say kill Standard Time not Day Light Savings. I like the extra hour of light in the evening.

I can do things just as well in the evening whether it's light or dark. What I can't do as well is wake up without the sun being up.

The amount of daylight I miss in the office doesn't change much either way- but the amount of time I have to spend trying to get the day started in the dark changes dramatically because of DST.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do make a good point about reaching escape velocity in the morning...
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Originally posted by Mynnion:
I can do things just as well in the evening whether it's light or dark. What I can't do as well is wake up without the sun being up.

The amount of daylight I miss in the office doesn't change much either way- but the amount of time I have to spend trying to get the day started in the dark changes dramatically because of DST.

This may be a morning person/night person issue. I have all my energy in the morning no matter what time I get up. In the evening I start getting tired as soon as it starts getting dark. I generally need a couple hours less sleep in the summer than in the winter.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.Z. Myers actually found some numbers that support it (even though he's actually against it):

quote:
Then, in May 2001, the California Energy Commission spearheaded a study to analyze the effects of winter DST and double daylight saving time (a two-hour time shift) on the state's electricity usage. The study concluded that winter DST would cut winter peak electricity use by 3.4 percent. Summer double DST would result in smaller reductions, but would still be beneficial because it would shift electricity use from high-demand afternoon hours to low-demand morning hours. The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) reported similar findings in 2008 after conducting research as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005. According to DOE data, DST resulted in total electricity savings of about 1.3 terawatt-hours, or 0.03 percent of electricity consumption over the year.
[Emphasis mine.]
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an IT professional of sorts, we are far better off leaving it the heck alone. Everytime someone changes the rules, a wide variety of software is affecting GDP in a negative way as upgrades get dropped.

Not to mention, you know who has never used daylight savings? North Korea, Afghanistan, Venezuela. Is that really a group you want to join, the Axis of Sunshine?

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 6897

Heh. We somehow managed to squeak through Y2K without planes falling from the sky, I think we'd be able to manage this.
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, we'll manage it. Nothing's going to break badly. But just generating and rolling out the patches to windows, iOS, android, various POS systems are not negligible in cost.

The whole "alignment to office hours" thing probably doesn't affect the majority of us anyway. Anybody working 2nd or 3rd shift could care less. Bakers and other food prep - gonna be dark when they go to work no matter what.

File somewhere under first world problems. [Smile]

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

If we got rid of it, then there'd be one last patch and that's it. So much simpler than trying to figure out where the device is.
yossarian22c
Member # 1779

- posted      Profile for yossarian22c   Email yossarian22c       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer my daylight in the evenings as well. It gives me a chance to play outside with the kids after work/dinner.
Posts: 1121 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

I prefer daylight late into the evening so that I can walk home from the pub with greater safety.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solution? Have two places of residence, both outside the tropics, one in the north and one in the south. Just make sure to move to the correct residence on or around the equinoxes.
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Member # 2439

- posted      Profile for Mormegil         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What we need to do is stay on Summer time the entire year.

We already stay on DST longer than "standard" time. Let's make DST the new standard.

We'd stop the stupid clock change twice a year.

It would get dark at 6pm in the winter instead of 5pm. There's a lot I could do between 5pm and 6pm if I had daylight in the winter.

I could not care any less about how much light there is in the morning. All I do in the mornings is get up and drive to work. I don't need light for this. I need light when I am done working, so I can do stuff outside.

Posts: 800 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a longtime passionate member of team "more evening light."

In fact, what Donald suggests above has been part of a personal retirement plan since before I started my career--though I intend to stay in the northern hemisphere through halloween (which feels to me like the day our northern hemisphere culture designates as the symbolic "nightfall" of the year).

I grew up in Caracas. Seasons don't make sense to me.

Posts: 3654 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page