Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Gov't Surveillance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gov't Surveillance
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we had a thread for it but maybe it's aged out.

Spying on Meta-Data 1990s Style
quote:
WASHINGTON — The U.S. government started keeping secret records of Americans' international telephone calls nearly a decade before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, harvesting billions of calls in a program that provided a blueprint for the far broader National Security Agency surveillance that followed.
I'm still slightly surprised this is news. I thought we've known for decades the government's been playing the omnipresent spy game. Maybe I just treated Enemy of the State like a documentary?

More evidence Obama is just another status quo President.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw this the other day. The only surprise is that anyone is surprised. If the intelligence services have the technology to trace and track they will. I think the President is pretty much a non-player.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it's more than status quo, since when the tools of the craft become seriously updated in the digital and internet age it isn't just a matter of pressing the "continue" button from the previous administration, but in fact involves adopting new methods that are available.

On the one hand spying on phone conversations was always possible, but now receiving data dumps from Google and Facebook and mining it has entered play, as well as tapping into all ISP's and data mining email, text messages, and so forth. And this isn't even yet on the topic of forcing manufacturers to introduce built-in malwear and back doors to smartphones and PC's.

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page