Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Walter Scott shooting by Officer Slager

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Walter Scott shooting by Officer Slager
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the dash cam video and the video by the bystander.

If you see just one of the two it can really bias your view of what happened.

The officer is clearly just doing his job in a respectful and normal manner from the dash cam, then Walter Scott takes off running after being told to stay in his car. The officer gives pursuit, and you hear him yell 'Taser, Taser'.

https://youtu.be/Ttyxt3bjq2k

Then if you watch the bystander video you see the officer shooting Scott in the back while Scott is running away. Then you see the officer cuff Scott and later appears to drop something (his taser?) beside Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzYcrq3A38

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you explain what you mean by "it can really bias your view"? What exactly do you think watching both videos side by side tells us that contradicts the narrative that the office killed a fleeing man and then planted evidence next to him? Does it address the issue of the office not bothering to try to apply CPR after shooting him?
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means "If you just watch the dashcam video, the officer's story seems much more plausible"
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure anything I saw in the bystander video can be justified no matter how polite things started. If you only saw the dash camera maybe.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the bystander video speaks for itself. I agree with Mynnion that "it started out politely and then the officer murdered a man" isn't much different to me than "the officer started trouble and then murdered a man". Even "the man acted incorrectly in the situation and then the officer murdered the man" (which even the dashcam doesn't suggest) doesn't make it much better.

But I agree that only watching the dashcam would give you a wrong idea of the situation, which is exactly why this case is so noteworthy: because of the existence of the bystander video.

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Without the bystander video, the only recordings we have are the dashcam and the radio transmission, neither of which contradict the officer's story.
Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

quote:
Originally posted by philnotfil:
Without the bystander video, the only recordings we have are the dashcam and the radio transmission, neither of which contradict the officer's story.

Exactly [Wink]
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like Officer Slager was tasered by Walter Scott.

taser leads attached to Officer Slager

And his gun is drawn while Walter Scott is still within the range of the taser. Under the influence of the taser can have cognitive influences which might impair judgement of distance and threat. So he might well beat any murder or man slaughter charge.

[ April 12, 2015, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the cop was wrong to shoot the guy as he was running away. However, I do not like people calling this an execution. From the dashcam video, the cop seemed to be polite and non threatening. Then Scott runs. I have this serious disconnect between what I see in the first video and what I see in the second video. I just find it hard to see how it went from one to the other.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidTokyo
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for KidTokyo   Email KidTokyo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LR,

I am skeptical of that image. The taser lines appear to either go to Scott's foot, or to an object far off in the grass. The object that was thrown aside moments before is lying in the dirt behind Slager. Or am I missing something?

Posts: 2336 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is a wire, then it has no sag whatsoever, meaning it is taut. What is maintaining the tension, if so? Scott is running at that point, so the wire cannot be attached to him (unless, as KT mentioned, it is attached to his foot) but then the wire would not make a straight line - it would be wavy.

Additionally, the line is at such an angle that the leads would need to have been attached to Slager's wrist or his face. Not impossible, but not obviously a stun gun wire.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

KidTokyo and DonaldD,

my understanding is that the taser is dropped and the line is tangled on Walter Scotts feet. If you run with a slack line tangled on your feet there will be a moment when it is taught.

The line appears to go to his chest from my view.

If you look at the second video frame by frame, it stars with the taser right at Walter Scotts feet.

I'm also skeptical, and fully agree that it might not be a stun gun line. Something that makes me skeptical is would the darts pull out or would the stun gun body jerk when it goes taut. As far as I can tell the stun gun doesn't move.

Fenring
Member # 6953

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/04/former-prosecutor-says-cops-planting-evidence-on-people/

A prominent lawyer's take on planting the taser.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page