Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Texas has jumped the shark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Texas has jumped the shark
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it looks like the governor and Chuck Norris are piloting the boat: This cannot be for real.
quote:
I am horrified that I have to choose between the possibility that my governor actually believes this stuff and the possibility that my governor doesn't have the backbone to stand up to those who do. I'm not sure which is worse.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The simplest solution is for them to send Chuck Norris in himself to personally take down the operation.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Cruz's response.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that's easier for them to sell as protecting the people than trying to explain their abstinence-only breeding program for chlamydia.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
The simplest solution is for them to send Chuck Norris in himself to personally take down the operation.

Chuck Norris...I mean, don't you think that's overkill?
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cruz's response? Really? The biggest moron in this whole foolishness? I think maybe.

quote:
I understand the reason for concern and uncertainty, because when the federal government has not demonstrated itself to be trustworthy in this administration
oh.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, does Texas realize their state does not have sovereignty? Because it doesn't.
Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Public Policy Polling finds that about 1/3 of Republicans believe that “the government is trying to take over Texas,” and another 28 percent just aren't sure. [Roll Eyes]

This is the result of the Republicans constantly hammering the "don't trust Obama" meme these past 6 years. And there is a word for it: propaganda. Pure and simple propaganda. Repeat a lie so many times and people will start believing there must be something to it. Keep it up, and they'll start believing it.

It's gotten to the point when the Republican hoi-poloi will believe anything. [Roll Eyes]

[ May 13, 2015, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Wayward Son ]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope some of those people were thinking of something other than this Jade-whatever operation. Like, for instance, some general notion of the expansion of federal government power.

Anyway, how does a government take over part of its own territory?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
I hope some of those people were thinking of something other than this Jade-whatever operation. Like, for instance, some general notion of the expansion of federal government power.

Anyway, how does a government take over part of its own territory?

In theory I suppose that the suspension of a state's sovereign rights would constitute a takeover of that state by the other states. In the case of the Federal government ignoring the rights of all states (rather than just one) then that would probably be called a coup.
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was badly botched from a public relations aspect. They could have chosen any of the states to be "hostile."

This kind of training is not useful when it is done here. While the terrain might be similar to the middle east in some aspects, in many it is not. Infiltrating our own civilian populations with spec-ops in these areas seems like a waste of time and money given how different the towns and villages in Asia, Africa and Europe are.
Why do we keep paying for military bases and personnel in areas all over the world if we can't even train at those places?

The only place this training would be useful is the USA and these specific areas.

Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only place this training would be useful is the USA and these specific areas."

So you're saying that since the actual experts are saying something different, that they are lying, and it must be part of some grand conspiracy. Right?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seneca
Member # 6790

- posted      Profile for Seneca   Email Seneca       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. It's very likely a pork project and a waste of money.

There is an element of "encroaching police state" to this but I doubt it is about "taking over" anything. It has to do with that the government expecting people to tolerate this kind of exercise inside the USA where it isn't useful.

Posts: 6017 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

Seems a lot cheaper than shipping everyone to overseas bases, so I'm not sure your argument coheres.
Seneca
Member # 6790

It's far more expensive than shipping them to bases, because this training is worthless and will either have to be redone at those foreign areas or it will simply be as if no training was done at all. In the worst case scenario this training will actually hurt the troops by giving them bad expectations in thinking that Texas or Utah is going to be anything at all like Afghanistan or other middle eastern areas.

[ May 14, 2015, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Seneca ]

JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Seneca:
In the worst case scenario this training will actually hurt the troops by giving them bad expectations in thinking that Texas [..] is going to be anything at all like Afghanistan.

You're right! One place is an arid land full of tribal thinking, slavish devotion to ancient customs and religious fanaticism, skepticism about secular education and a paranoid, nationalistic population armed to the teeth... and the other is Afghanistan. (I kid, I kid Texas... heck, I live there, sort of voluntarily)
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page