Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Welcome to Planet Parenthood: un-spinning the no spin zone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Welcome to Planet Parenthood: un-spinning the no spin zone
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am visiting with parents so have been watching Faux News. Some of if is better than I remembered. But the Planned Parenthood coverage seemed rather obtuse. There was about 12 minutes discussion of the "discrepancy" between Planned Parenthood saying that only 3% of its business involved abortion, while other studies showed that over 90% of its monies received came from abortion.

Why did I put "discrepancy" into duh quotes? [DOH] Well think about it.

Planned Parenthood, as a nonprofit, quite properly tallies its "business" by number of persons served.

While PP prefers to tout itself as women's health, in fact they provide both men and women with inexpensive birth control services. I see this as a positive thing they do for the community, and I suspect that it's the real reason that ultraconservatives are going after them.

Other women's health treatments that PP offers are heavily SUBSIDIZED, and are therefore very inexpensive.

So obviously, abortions would be by far the most expensive offering, since they are neither inexpensive nor subsidized. Anyone who makes an effort to think could see how abortion could affect less than 3% of the walk-in patients, and yet account for more than 90% of the money received from patients.

As I've said for years, I wish that Planned Parenthood would get out of the elective late term abortion business, and I find some of the language from extreme pro-choicers repugnant and dehumanizing. Abortion rights should be based on a woman's rights over her body, not out of depersonalizing the fetus. I praise Planned Parenthood for recognizing that the language used in some of the videos is actually repugnant. I wish that they would lay out the statistics on the birth control that they provide.

Destroying Planned Parenthood would result in a drastic INCREASE in abortion as birth control was priced out of access for the poor in many communities.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Pete said.

erased a lot of stuff that amounted to things I've already said before on the subject

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think it would derail objections against PP if they were to split into two organizations? One would be only for abortions, not at all federally funded, and the federally funded one would be for all the other services. The idea would be to separate their finances completely so that people could receive the PP services while others would not be made to feel that they were being forced to support murder. That way the abortion clinic could stay open and the objection that PP subsidies go towards abortions would be eliminated.
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fenring:
Do you think it would derail objections against PP if they were to split into two organizations? One would be only for abortions, not at all federally funded, and the federally funded one would be for all the other services. The idea would be to separate their finances completely so that people could receive the PP services while others would not be made to feel that they were being forced to support murder. That way the abortion clinic could stay open and the objection that PP subsidies go towards abortions would be eliminated.

It would mollify concerns of moderates, certainly.

The extreme right and certain religious groups would not be mollified and would continue to harp on the true but irrelevant fact that PP's founder, Margaret Sanger, was racist. (So freaking what! The Volkswagen beetle was commissioned by Hitler, but no one calls it a deathmobile).

Also, extreme pro-choicers (including some on SCOTUS) justify some arguments by playing stupid about the distinction between birth control and abortion. If one follows wacko-lefty abortophillic reasoning to its logical end, killing pregnant women would also be a form of "birth control" [Roll Eyes] So the confounding of birth control and abortion issue is one of several collusions between the far left and the far right to keep Americans stupid. Another example is the dumb-ass usage of the term "embryo" to refer to what any educated persons should call a blastocyst.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page