Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Credible Alternative to Iran Nuclear Deal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Credible Alternative to Iran Nuclear Deal
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Sorry if this has come up before on Ornery. I looked and didn't find it. If you can point it out I will kill this thread.)

I really don't like the Iran nuclear deal. But I have not seen any credible alternative to accepting the deal as is.

The closest I have come is people saying we should just continue the current sanctions until Iran agrees to a better deal. But I have seen plenty of knowledgeable people say that China, Russia and India will not continue sanctions if the deal is rejected. (Sources upon request). And I have seen no credible evidence on the other side demonstrating that sanctions are likely to hold.

Can someone here provide a credible alternative?

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not credible as I see it but...
Maintain sanctions, economically starve the country until the moderate group overthrows the current regime. Then negotiate with them.

I don't think it can work but the "until Iran agrees to a better deal" is not enough for many. They want to see the current regime wither and die.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know you prefaced your remark with "Not credible as I see it but..."

But I don't know if anybody would believe that unilateral USA sanctions would have much if any constraining effect on Iran, assuming that the United Kingdom, Russia, France, China, Germany, plus the rest of the European Union did not also maintain sanctions (as velcro suggested above.)

To make that argument, one would need to provide a strong rationale for most of those parties to maintain sanctions in the face of Iran negotiating a deal, given that, unlike the USA, those parties' sanctions were directly related to nuclear non-proliferation goals.

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, those falling into the category I outline would push hard to see that the sanctions are not unilateral.

The difficulty of achieving that being part of why I don’t' feel the strategy is credible.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page