Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » George Zimmerman sells prints of his Confederate Flag paintings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: George Zimmerman sells prints of his Confederate Flag paintings
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, in order to raise money, George Zimmerman has decided to take up painting the Confederate Flag and selling prints

quote:
A “Muslim-free” gun store in Florida is selling prints of the Confederate battle flag painted by the U.S.’s most controversial former neighborhood-watch member.

George Zimmerman, who shot and killed Trayvon Martin in February 2012, decided to paint the polarizing flag to raise legal fees for himself and Florida Gun Supply in Inverness.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-zimmerman-paints-confederate-battle-flag-to-raise-money-for--muslim-free--gun-store-171253005.html

quote:
The print is going for $50 on the site, with the two splitting proceeds to “support their legal funds, living expenses, and advancing their mission to change the country. A percentage of proceeds will also go directly to the Boys and Girls Club to help the support the next generation.”
http://time.com/4001437/george-zimmerman-confederate-flag-painting/

At first I thought it had to be a parody by the onion, or such but it appears it is legit. This seems like it could stir up racial politics even more than the police shootings have done.

I'm curious if the Boys and Girls Clubs will accept the donation.

[ August 18, 2015, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends what you mean by "this".

I doubt the paintings themselves will stir up racist violence. I reackon that leftish publicity to the paintings will stir up violence.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it will stir up violence, but it might. It will definitely stir up controversy though.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I doubt the paintings themselves will stir up racist violence. I reackon that leftish publicity to the paintings will stir up violence
So, hypothetically, if a racist killer who is acquitted of murder decides to publicly advocate for a racist symbol and raise money for a xenophobic business owner, and violent protests ensue, it would be the media's fault for reporting it?

Just hypothetically, of course. [Smile]

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So, hypothetically, if a racist killer who is acquitted of murder decides to publicly advocate for a racist symbol and raise money for a xenophobic business owner, and violent protests ensue, it would be the media's fault for reporting it?"

Since you have already admitted that the issue is publicity ("PUBLICLY ADVOCATING") the primary issue towards inciting violence is the free publicity that he receives, yes.

Just as the loser that made the movie "violence of muslims" wasn't what angered muslims worldwide; the problem was the publicity given the video.

Those that sent word throughout the Muslim world about the "innocence of muslims" video were trying to stir up violence.

Similarly, any newsies making outrage stories about this are probably trying to stir up a race riot.

George Zimmerman isn't trying to stir up a race riot. He probably is trying to pay his legal bills, like Paula Jones did when she sold her ass to penthouse. Disgraceful, yes, but not a crisis until you turn it into a crisis.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

But I actually take issue with your claim that Zimmerman has done this in "public". A "muslim-free" store is clearly not open to the general public.

I'd consider the story more disturbing if it turned out that he'd been selling and promoting confederate flags BEFORE he shot Martin. Because that would speak to his motives and intent to the killing.

NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think accusing the media of trying to stir up a race riot over this is a bit excessive. They just know that outrage gets clicks and eyeballs.

This has already gotten more attention than it deserves.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zimmerman... isn't he that Facebook guy? (if only more people could actually voice that question sincerely...)
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pete at Home:
But I actually take issue with your claim that Zimmerman has done this in "public". A "muslim-free" store is clearly not open to the general public.

How so? Is it sufficient to exclude a class of persons in order for a store not to be considered "public"?
Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velcro
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for velcro   Email velcro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if something really incendiary, such as Michael Brown's shooting is given publicity? Would it still be the media's fault if violence ensues?

Should the media ignore incendiary events, and let them be transmitted through word-of-mouth?

Posts: 2096 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by DonaldD:
quote:

How so? Is it sufficient to exclude a class of persons in order for a store not to be considered "public"?
A public store cannot legally exclude a class of persons. If the store advertises to the public, e.g.in the yellow pages, then it cannot legally describe itself azs "muslim free".
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by velcro:
What if something really incendiary, such as Michael Brown's shooting is given publicity? Would it still be the media's fault if violence ensues?

Should the media ignore incendiary events, and let them be transmitted through word-of-mouth?

Depwnds on whether the event is news. A shooting is news. A story about painting of a confed flag in a private store is not news in itself, but an attempt to make news.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

Note that it was you, not i, that analogized a homicide to a private albeit loathesome expression of free speech.
DonaldD
Member # 1052

So after a quick Google - the store is not actually a Muslim Free Zone as the owner has declared, as he has never turned anyone away, accepting that there is little way for him to know who is or isn't Muslim.

Since he has never turned anybody away, I think it's safe to say that it is open to the general public.

LetterRip
Member # 310

I wasn't actually going to bring it up initially, but there are two angles I find interesting

1) It was vehemenently denied that he was racist during the trial - I think this is definitely suggestive that he was likely racist

2) I think it might have an impact on voter turn out and fund raising in the elections

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
I wasn't actually going to bring it up initially, but there are two angles I find interesting

1) It was vehemenently denied that he was racist during the trial - I think this is definitely suggestive that he was likely racist

Arguably suggestive, not definitely suggestive. IF we assume that the story and store are telling the truth, the event is definitely suggestive that Zim is NOW, at the present time, either racist or at least willing to pander to racists, which IMO is worse than being actually racist.

Racists are made, not born. I suspect that most persons who have faced what Zim has faced since the shooting, would have become racist. If you disagree, then please show me a counterexample. Show me someone who has been vilified as an ultra-racist by the mass media, who has not afterward evinced signs of being racist that he'd never shown before.

The closest thing to a counterexample I can think of is officer Justin Volpe (see the excellent Rolling Stone article on the Louima case and Volpe in prison), and he's wasn't really mass vilified; the only black face calling for his blood was Sharpton, who isn't exactly iconic for the whole black community (thank heavens)

[ August 20, 2015, 03:14 AM: Message edited by: Pete at Home ]

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:

2) I think it might have an impact on voter turn out and fund raising in the elections

I agree or disagree with you, depending on whether, by "it," you mean (1) the actual painting and sale of Zim's dixica, (2) the media coverage of #1, or (3) the violence stirred up by #2; or (4) the self-righteous handwringing of the media elements in #2 about the violence in #3.
velcro
Member # 1216

quote:
A story about painting of a confed flag in a private store is not news in itself, but an attempt to make news.
How do you define news?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by velcro:
quote:
A story about painting of a confed flag in a private store is not news in itself, but an attempt to make news.
How do you define news?
Information of legitimate public concern.

I would contend that "Britney Spears masturbates in her bathroom at 5:43 am" is not an issue of legitimate public concern. Ergo not news.

LetterRip
Member # 310

Information that suggests an individual was a beneficiary of a miscarriage of justice meets the criteria of 'information of legitimate public concern'.
Pete at Home
Member # 429

It only suggests that to people who havent thought about cause and effect. zim's present sympathies and affiliations say **** about his motives or intent at the time of the killing.

The pressures on him after Martin's death could have turned anyone into a drooling racist.

Antipathy evokes antipathy, LR. Think about it.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

Now show me any evidence of racist behavior in zim PRIOR to the martin incident, and that's evidence of possible motive
LetterRip
Member # 310

There was evidence, just not definitive evidence

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/21/1225435/-The-Racism-of-the-Zimmerman-Family

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-evidence_n_1528268.html

Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
There was evidence, just not definitive evidence

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/21/1225435/-The-Racism-of-the-Zimmerman-Family

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/trayvon-martin-george-zimmerman-evidence_n_1528268.html

It's evidence, yes, but not very probative. The legal term is "substantially more prejudicial than probative."

In other words, it leaves the reader less intelligent than she was prior to reading.

philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just trying to stay in the news?

https://twitter.com/TherealGeorgeZ/status/636881991166754816?s=04

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

quote:
Originally posted by philnotfil:

He's a sick bastard, but most of us would be if we'd gone through what he had. Try listening to millions of people howling for your blood for three years and you don't think you'd gloat and bait your former tormentors when you were vindicated?
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by philnotfil:

He's a sick bastard, but most of us would be if we'd gone through what he had. Try listening to millions of people howling for your blood for three years and you don't think you'd gloat and bait your former tormentors when you were vindicated?
I hope to never be in his situation, but if I were, a name change, a move across state lines and another name change would be the first things on my to do list. Really determined individuals could track me down, but it would take some doing and Zimmerman isn't an interesting enough story to spend that much time researching.

If Zimmerman were to stop seeking out attention no one would pay attention to him. (which is likely why he spends so much effort on attracting attention)

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

no way zim could disappear like that. Plus that would take money.

Look, when we4 put people in the "justice" system, especially the show trial track, they end up owing favors to very bad people. Whites in prison, for example, often end up joining white supremacist gangs just to survive. ZIm is neither white nor in prison, but he owes favors, and just who is going to cash in on his celebrity? Gun groups? Nope. Zim's not the poster boy for the gun movement, with his history of violence and mental illness.

Zim is a guy that Stands His Ground. that's his right. If i were in his plac. I would have fun rubbing it in the face of those who had demonized me, but zim is clearly not the brightest light on the tree, hence the stars and bars.

His response to physical threat seems perfectly appropriate, since he was justified by self defense rather that excused by mistake or insanity. Following someone does not justify having one's head beat against cement. Given what the country put him through, i dont think it's reasonable to expect him to be polite or sensitive.

The stars and bars thing is disgusting, though, strongly suggesting racial prejudice. But most folks in his situation, accused of murder and villified for an act of self defense, would have become prejudiced.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page