Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Blue Lives Matter (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blue Lives Matter
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google it. While you're waiting for Google to return look at some of the questions people have asked you.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“If the federal government will not intercede in our affairs, then we must rise up and kill those who kill us. Stalk them and kill them. Let them feel the pain of death that we are feeling.” — Louis Farrakhan speech at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Miami on July 30, 2015

“My mind went back to what it was like for me when I was 17, 18, 20,” Obama said, referring to his thoughts after meeting with a group of civil rights activists who had been targeted by police on account of their race. “And as I told them, not only do I hear the pain and frustration of being subjected to that kind of constant suspicion, but part of the reason I got into politics was to figure out how can I bridge some of those gaps and understanding so that the larger country understands this is not just a black problem or a brown problem, this is an American problem.”

Obama is much better at being subtle about it, I'll give him that. But his message is still very clear.

Black lives matter had that bacon thing, for one. Yeah, supposed to be some sort of joke like the black Arby's worker saying he didn't want to serve a white police officer food.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cherry,

There is absolutely nothing sinister in Obama's speech. The fact that you find something sinister in it suggests that you are a not thinking straight. The only 'clear message' is that he wants the whole US to realize there is a problem with African Americans being subjected to unwarranted suspicion and wants all Americans to become aware of this injustice so that out of recognition of this problem we might come to a solution.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Obama quote sounds like the same kind of idealism that millions of teenagers feel as the look at the world and see its dysfunction, corruption and inequalities for the first time. It led Obama to dedicate his adult life to trying to serve the needs of his city, state and nation. I am curious what the next task will be that he sets for himself. Perhaps he will follow the Presidential models of Carter and Clinton and aim himself at global poverty or disease. This is one case where I can say without irony, Cherry, thanks for sharing!
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DJQuag
Member # 3582

- posted      Profile for DJQuag   Email DJQuag       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Farrakhan belongs in the same category as the London imams who call for Sharia law in the UK.

The Obama quote, however, is harmless. All he is saying is that the entire country, not just black people, need to be aware of the prejudice that black people face from police. I don't see a call to violence there.

Posts: 476 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page