Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » racial bias vs foreign sounding and difficult to pronounce bias (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: racial bias vs foreign sounding and difficult to pronounce bias
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Racism is, at least in part, failing to acknowledge and correct for such biases. Saying what it is in different words doesn't make it not racism.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is the difference between familiarity bias and xenophobia?
I think there is a difference. The former shows a tendency to favor what is familiar and the latter a fear of what is different. They are both natural responses.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
Racism is, at least in part, failing to acknowledge and correct for such biases. Saying what it is in different words doesn't make it not racism.

That's an interesting take on in. So by your defi nition, racism includes both wilful and ignorant bias? what you8 call racism, I call bigotry ... Which makes more internal sense IMO since words sound like what they meaan that way. Otoh, since racism has become such a pejorative, perhaps your usage makes more sense. If racism (as I used it) merely means racial bias, then there is racism where er there is race.

I am glad that you arent using a df of racism where it only applies if the object is Caucasian. :>

An other question:

"failing to acknowledge and correct for such biases"

What if one corrects in some spheres such as hiring but not in others such as dating [Smile]

Consider the two alternate lines taken verbatim from dating sites:

LI dont date outside my own race. I am not racist; it is just a preference"

Which I find less troublesome than:

"I dont date outside. my own race. I am not racist; it is just the moral issue"

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What if one corrects in some spheres such as hiring but not in others such as dating
This is why power is part of the equation. Unless you're so culturally critical that not attracting your attention for a date amounts to being oppressed, it's hard to argue that it's anything more than a personal prejudice.

Not all racial biases are harmful- the only ones that rise to the level of being racism are those that do measurable social, legal, or economic harm based on being prevalent among the majority.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That's an interesting take on in. So by your defi nition, racism includes both wilful and ignorant bias? what you8 call racism, I call bigotry ... Which makes more internal sense IMO since words sound like what they meaan that way. Otoh, since racism has become such a pejorative, perhaps your usage makes more sense. If racism (as I used it) merely means racial bias, then there is racism where er there is race.

Well, I'm not trying to define racism as a whole in the post you quoted. I would define it as patterns of discrimination and systemic inequity delineated by the construct of race. But I would absolutely say that these patterns come about *in part* because of both willful discrimination and implicit bias leading to unintentional discrimination.

Rejecting resumes because the names sound foreign might be intentional discrimination, but it could also be unintentional discrimination because of implicit bias. But it contributes to racism, when those names happen to be predominantly black names and the context is a place where racism against blacks is already endemic.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The human brain normalizes the familiar and is biased against the unfamiliar. African Americans, Native Indians, Hispanics, and Europeans will be biased against unfamiliar and foreign sounding names. There is no bias against widely used exclusively african american associated names -therefore there isn't a 'racial' bias and thus no racism.
I'm sorry- which African descended names (outside those linked to Abrahamic faiths) are claiming familiar, never mind existing in rough proportion to the number of people from that background?

You're begging the question again when you assert the familiarity of European/Biblical names instead of examining why they're the most familiar ones, or even why "exact repetition" is what people are most familiar with instead of other linguistic constructs.

Culture defines what is familiar, so you can't presume that familiarity is an objective metric rather than one that serves to highlight a bias when it favors one background over another.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page