Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » 9th Grader Arrested for Bringing a Clock to School (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested for Bringing a Clock to School
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it was a home-made clock.

And it looked scary, with all those ICs and stuff.

And it beeped.

It obviously looked like a bomb (even though it lacked some stuff, like something that could explode). So the police handcuffed the kid and lead him out of school.

Perfectly reasonable, right?

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously noone really thought it was a bomb, otherwise the bomb squad would be called and the place would have been evacuated.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not know that Islamophobia could be that bad among sufficiently many people in multiple institutions. Every single decision they made was wrong, and they seem to be standing up for their idiocy.
Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admitting they were wrong means admitting they engaged in the most craven bureaucratic CYA thinking combined with general ****ing stupidity.
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, the not calling the bomb squad is what stripped away any sympathy for the school on that one.

I suppose they could argue/believe that he was showing off part of a bomb he had completed and that was scarry?

TX, this is the kinda thing that makes people pick on you. [Frown]

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Islamaphobia? That's some group think grievance detector from the SJW rank and file. This has happened before, bomb squad for toy robot in Denver, the Boston lite bright scare of 2007 and basically anytime a 8 year old nibbles a pop tart into the shape of a gun.

Call it islamaphobia but how many of these other kids get a trip to the whitehouse out of it? This is the typical faux outrage ginned up in drive by media to show just how awful you all are and show favor to a protected group.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, take a look at the pictures of this device. I can see where the teachers were a little leery of it, it was cobbled together in 20 minutes according to the kid and was a mess of wires and circuit board with a clock timer packed in a metal case. It's not unreasonable to look at it and think "bomb". The school reacted properly, the police may be going overboard, certainly everyone else is.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"See something, say something."
Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The school acting properly:

S: "What's this thing?"

A: "It's a clock."

S: "Oh. It kind of looks like a movie bomb."

A: "Nope, it's a clock."

S: "Oh, OK."

If only.

The police may be going overboard? Handcuffing the kid? Considering charges?

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mynnion
Member # 5287

- posted      Profile for Mynnion   Email Mynnion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like he won a free trip to the White House.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good damn thing nobody turned me in when I was his age.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little more about the community:

Mayor Of City Where Muslim Teen Was Wrongly Arrested Is Anti-Sharia Crusader

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure how much this is Islamophobia and how much it is over-reaction due to cowardice.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "mood" of Irving can be seen partially in the Mayor's point of view and actions:
quote:
[Mayor]Van Duyne first made headlines for challenging Islam in February, when she wrote a Facebook post vowing to look into a "Shariah law court" that was said to have been set up by an Irving mosque.

"While I am working to better understand how this 'court' will function and whom will be subject to its decisions, please know that if it is determined that there are violations of basic rights occurring, I will not stand idle and will fight with every fiber of my being against this action," she wrote.
Then in March, Van Duyne threw her support behind a bill that would forbid Texas judges from using foreign law in their rulings. The bill's author, state Rep. Jeff Leach (R), had said the bill would solve the "problem" of the Islamic Tribunal in Dallas, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Amid criticism of her support for Leach's bill, Van Duyne turned to the editorial pages of The Dallas Morning News to further propagate what she saw as a non-controversial message.

"To me, this is about making sure people, especially women, understand our nation guarantees certain rights and liberties, and those should not be surrendered," she wrote in The Dallas Morning News. "It is baffling to comprehend the amount of controversy generated by my support as mayor of Irving for a state law that simply asks family law judges to uphold American fundamental constitutional rights when deciding a case that involves a conflicting foreign law."

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by cherrypoptart:
"See something, say something."

Exactly! After more than a decade of conditioning by the state, agents of the state did what they've been indoctrinated into doing.
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
The school acting properly:

S: "What's this thing?"

A: "It's a clock."

S: "Oh. It kind of looks like a movie bomb."

A: "Nope, it's a clock."

S: "Oh, OK."

If only.

The police may be going overboard? Handcuffing the kid? Considering charges?

You should look at the pictures of this device. Wires, circuit board, timer, metal case. Don't be mislead by the perception that a bomber will always admit he has a bomb when simply asked - in fact, they would typically be expected to deny it. A reasonable person, looking at this device sitting under his car or outside the house could reasonably come to the conclusion it was actually a bomb and a reasonable person could expect a kid looking for attention could bring the prototype to school to impress his friends. It would not be unheard of, happens with other deadly implements.

This boils down to a story skewed to feed the "America is intolerant and the source of all evil!" crowd. It will be quickly followed by the "Something must be done" SJW's.

JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much being made of a legitimate misunderstanding. Sure it seemed to go on farther than necessary (particularly with handcuffs), but I think people *should* be on the alert for possible threats, and while we scold and wag our fingers at the authorities for going overboard, we send them the opposite message next time something terrible actually happens.

I agree with Rafi (which is rare enough [Smile] )

Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philnotfil
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for philnotfil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrest of 14-Year-Old Student for Making a Clock: the Fruits of Sustained Fearmongering and Anti-Muslim Animus

quote:
There are sprawling industries and self-proclaimed career “terrorism experts” in the U.S. that profit greatly by deliberately exaggerating the threat of Terrorism and keeping Americans in a state of abject fear of “radical Islam.” There are all sorts of polemicists who build their public platforms by demonizing Muslims and scoffing at concerns over “Islamaphobia,” with the most toxic ones insisting that such a thing does not even exist, even as the mere presence of mosques is opposed across the country, or even as they are physically attacked.

The U.S. government just formally renewed the “State of Emergency” it declared in the aftermath of 9/11 for the 14th time since that attack occurred, ensuring that the country remains in a state of permanent, endless war, subjected to powers that are still classified as “extraordinary” even though they have become entirely normalized. As a result of all of this, a minority group of close to 3 million people is routinely targeted with bigotry and legal persecution in the Home of the Free, while fear and hysteria reign supreme in the Land of the Brave.

What happened in Irving, Texas, yesterday to a 14-year-old Muslim high school freshman is far from the worst instance, but it is highly illustrative of the rotted fruit of this sustained climate of cultivated fear and demonization. The Dallas Morning News reports that “Ahmed Mohamed — who makes his own radios and repairs his own go-kart — hoped to impress his teachers when he brought a homemade clock to MacArthur High,” but “instead, the school phoned police.”

Despite insisting that he made the clock to impress his engineering teacher, consistent with his long-time interest in “inventing stuff,” Ahmed was arrested by the police and led out of school with his hands cuffed behind him. When he was brought into the room to be questioned by the four police officers who had been dispatched to the school, one of them — who had never previously seen him — said: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.” As a result, he “felt suddenly conscious of his brown skin and his name — one of the most common in the Muslim religion.”

Posts: 3719 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
Too much being made of a legitimate misunderstanding. Sure it seemed to go on farther than necessary (particularly with handcuffs), but I think people *should* be on the alert for possible threats, and while we scold and wag our fingers at the authorities for going overboard, we send them the opposite message next time something terrible actually happens.

I agree with Rafi (which is rare enough [Smile] )

No one would disagree that people should be alert and attuned to their surroundings. However, the question remains, why didn't they call a bomb squad or evacuate the school? From what I've read, there clearly is an element of islamophobia, but also somewhat mindless and incompetent "correctness".
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being overly cautious is not something I would fault a school for. This seemed more like trying to teach a kid a lesson for inadvertantly scaring people.

If they really thought it was a bomb, they handled it wrong. If they knew it wasn't a bomb, they handled it wrong.

The only gray area for me is if they thought it was likely PART of a bomb. In that case, the police could have handled it better.

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: why did he make a home made clock and bring it to school? Did it occur to him: gee **** this looks like a bomb from a movie.

I am not sure what exactly was going on here but I get a certain jackass vibe from this kid.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 945

It was a pencil case, not a briefcase. I don't think it would look scary unless you think Muslims are scary.
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not my point. The question is, was this a joke or a prank?
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jasonr,

he brought it to impress his science teacher.

Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

Uhh huh. He sounds like an ass
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jasonr:
Question: why did he make a home made clock and bring it to school? Did it occur to him: gee **** this looks like a bomb from a movie.

To show off to a cool teacher that he had a good relationship with? Kids bring projects from home all the time to share with teachers.

And imagine that it probably didn't occur to him at all, because it looked just like the clock he was proud of making, never mind the fact that he probably,up till now, gave his teachers credit for being clever enough to separate fantasy from reality.

Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Sounds like a typical 14 year old science and engineering geek. Some people get their positive reinforcement by trying to impress others with their style or musical or religious or sports interests and abilities - often the ones they seek approval from are other students, other times coaches or parents or pastors. Some students get their positive reinforcement from teachers or mentors.
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't the engineering teacher that turned him in, it was some other teacher, who did not realize what it was. The science teacher even warned him that it might cause an issue. I am OK with the admin being careful and calling him to the office to check on it further. Bringing in the police, and not the bomb squad if you thought it was a bomb, was over reaction.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
It was a pencil case, not a briefcase. I don't think it would look scary unless you think Muslims are scary.

I don't think "pencil case" is what you think it is in this case. Google up pencil case. That's not what he had. It was closer to looking like a metal briefcase.

This also had only the remotest resemblance to a clock. With 1 being a bomb and 10 a clock, this would rate around a 3.

[ September 17, 2015, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Rafi ]

LetterRip
Member # 310

Here is what it looks like,

http://makezine.com/2015/09/16/this-is-ahmed-mohameds-clock/

It is indeed a pencil case, though not what I was thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Locking-Pencil-Inches-VZ01479/dp/B001BXZ28K

Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The box is 8.5 in. x 5.5 in. x 2.5 in. Pretty big for a pencil box, but pretty small all-in-all. And he had a pretty big display for the time, so he needed the size.
Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

Yep,

as the article notes - looks like he disassembled a clock and put the components in a different case. So really not electrical work in nature but more how to use a dremel or similar tool to cut the opening for the display.

So more accurately he made a clock case, and not a clock - industrial design work; not electrical or technical.

[ September 17, 2015, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: LetterRip ]

Gaoics79
Member # 969

quote:
The science teacher even warned him that it might cause an issue.
Exactly. Why was it in class with him and not in his locker, pray tell?

I'm sorry, but that's a "pencil case" like none I have ever seen.

Not saying the kid is a terrorist - he's a wise ass whose little joke got out of hand. Doesn't excuse the idiot admins mind you.

TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
he's a wise ass whose little joke got out of hand
I see no reason to believe that, except pure meanspiritedness.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by Mynnion:
Looks like he won a free trip to the White House.

Of course, he's the perfect type for Obama. How about these 9 other kids? No political upside for them.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should get famous fathers, too.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by LetterRip:
Here is what it looks like,

http://makezine.com/2015/09/16/this-is-ahmed-mohameds-clock/

It is indeed a pencil case, though not what I was thinking.

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Locking-Pencil-Inches-VZ01479/dp/B001BXZ28K

Now google up "suitcase bomb" and see what those look like.
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
They should get famous fathers, too.

If by famous you mean Muslim, then yep. Otherwise, I think your definition of famous is vastly more limited than everyone else's.
TomDavidson
Member # 99

No, his father is legitimately famous; he's one of the best-known American Sufis, and has made national news a handful of times over the years. Just because you have not heard of him....Well, you're not noel, so you can't be expected to know everything.

The general upshot is this: if you know somebody who has the ear of some people on social media, your pet issue will get some traction.

[ September 18, 2015, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet the science teacher is kicking himself for not suggesting that he hold onto the clock for the rest of the day.

If it had been in his locker and been found to be beeping, they probably would have evacuated the school. Keeping it with him is one of the stronger points of evidence it wasn't intended as a hoax bomb.

Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page