Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » 9th Grader Arrested for Bringing a Clock to School (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested for Bringing a Clock to School
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kid turned down MIT.
quote:
Earlier this month, QF gifted the teen and his family with a trip and tour of the five-mile Education City, founded by Al Jazeera creator Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, who is closely associated with the Muslim Brotherhood and opposes what he calls the “Judaization of Jerusalem” in referencing the Jewish Holy City and Israeli capitol, founded it. In late 2012, the New York Times reported Al Thani pledged $400 million to fund Hamas in the Gaza Strip
The father tried to get headlines, the daughter was involved in a bomb hoax, Ahmed finally pulled off a successful bomb hoax and got the reaction they'd been looking to get. Now, back to business.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G#, do you ever get tired of being a walking billboard for the ugliest impulses of the American Right?
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Education City is really pretty spectacular. QF brings in some of the most innovative architects in the world to design the various buildings on the campus. It is pretty cool what you can do when you don't have to worry about weather or money. Plus, if he wants to meet girls, he is in the right place. Qatar was ranked by one poll as being the best country for women to get an education and women students in Education City outnumber the men 3:1.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
G#, do you ever get tired of being a walking billboard for the ugliest impulses of the American Right?

I don't know why but I feel compelled to step in and say one thing in Rafi's defence. Although his assertion is both speculative and uncharitable, it is also not impossible that he's wrong. There is some kind of evidence to back up his speculation, even though I think it's intentionally inflammatory (to troll you a little, maybe, which he succeeded in doing) for him to state it as a fact. But on the balance I think the evidence for his claim is no better or worse than the so-called evidence people here have cited when they outright called the mayor of Irving an Islamophobe; and some even went further and called her anti-Muslin, which connotes not merely undue fear but also antipathy of some kind. They, too, were speculating when they said that, and that claim was likewise both uncharitable and not factually demonstrated. And they, too, may be right, despite their unwarranted statement of a theory as a fact.

I'm not saying I think Rafi's theory is the best one to endorse, but he's surely not the only one here who's attempted to pass off speculation as a set of obvious facts.

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FOX theory is alive and well.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-7-year-old-black-child-adhd-handcuffed-school-article-1.2422191?utm_content=buffer20a42&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_ campaign=buffer

quote:
The mother, speaking to local press in Flint, Michigan said she was told the officer threatened to handcuff the boy if he didn’t sit down. While police later claimed that they handcuffed the boy for his own safety, when the mother pressed for answers, she said that the school and the police said very little until she got the media involved.
Another case of racism? Or another example of how poorly the police are relating to the civilian population right now?
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another piece of the War on Police puzzle people are trying to put together.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
Just another piece of the War on Police puzzle people are trying to put together.

The last instance of a non-white school child being put in cuffs was attributed largely to racism. I'm curious whether that same attribution will be assigned here.
scifibum
Member # 945

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems less likely, since the officer was also black.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/flint-police-apologize-handcuffing-7-year-old-student-n455796

(about 20 seconds into the video)

Not that black people can't perpetuate racism against black people, of course. I just think it will seem less likely to most people.

The justification the police initially offered - to protect the kid from harming himself - is about the dumbest one I've heard. He's not safer if he can't use his hands to catch himself.

Posts: 6847 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, blacks can be racist, too. Whites aren't immune to social, ethnic, religious or racist behavior against their own or any group, either. I know of one all-white town in southern Ohio where being born Jewish or Catholic gets you in trouble with the Protestant majority.
Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would hope training would cover it, but if I arrived on scene and was told that a child was a risk to others and himself I may resort to cuffs. Maybe just the back of a squad car is safe enough from self harm uncuffed?
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Or since we're talking about a child, maybe just talking to him would help.
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are also talking about a child that the school called the police on because they couldn't handle the situation. (if I'm referencing the right story) So then we blame the cop who we should have an even lower expectation of qualifications in dealing with children than the school staff.

<gasp> he makes an unpopular choice that results in a very powerful image (a child in cuffs) and the media rejoices!

P.S. To me, this reads as a failure of the school who used the cop as a fall guy. Dramatization follows. [Razz]

School: Help, help officer, this parent failed to adequately tranquilize their child with pharmaceuticals and we have no idea what to do!

Cop: Umm, did you call his parents? Did you talk to him? Ask him to sit down?

School: YES! Nothing works and the parents aren't here yet! Help!

Cop: Umm, I could cuff him... (says the officer sarcastically)

School: Works for us!

[ November 04, 2015, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: D.W. ]

Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

quote:
We are also talking about a child that the school called the police on because they couldn't handle the situation.
Yes, he is seven years old. Not quite the hardened juvie.
D.W.
Member # 4370

My point is we are awfully stuck in the "bad cop" narrative and the "treating even a child as a criminal because he's black" narrative.

The truth is a cop was forced into a situation that he was likely ill equipped for. A situation where the school, we would like to assume, should be far more equipped for.

So maybe this really did hit the "sweet spot" of being too much for the school and enough to involve the police. Then the cop failed to solve a situation the school couldn't without crossing a line into inappropriateness.

Or maybe our education professionals are so terrified of a parent suing them that they used the police as legal risk mitigation, and let them take the hit...

AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Agree with all. Too often the perceived offender is actually the victim. It's hard for me to imagine a 7-year old could be anything but.
D.W.
Member # 4370

Poor wording on my part. "The truth is" should read, "I believe". As obviously, I wasn't there, to employ my mind reading abilities...
Rafi
Member # 6930

- posted      Profile for Rafi   Email Rafi       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After all the media blitz, adulation and scholarship offers, he's suing the school district for $15 million to compensate him for the suffering he endured.
Posts: 793 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be unsupportably uncharitable to point out that it seems like a particularly American thing to do?
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL @ $15 Million. Hey man, I'd happily go through what he did for far less - I'd be put in handcuffs for maybe a cool hundred bucks. People should be lining up to be discriminated against with that kind of jackpot.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

Is there any question of having legal standing to file suit against a school district when one has emigrated to another country?
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by JoshCrow:
LOL @ $15 Million. Hey man, I'd happily go through what he did for far less - I'd be put in handcuffs for maybe a cool hundred bucks. People should be lining up to be discriminated against with that kind of jackpot.

Interesting you a should say that. Do you think his father went down the same thought path with his daughter running a bomb hoax and then the son when it failed to pay?
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by Fenring:
Is there any question of having legal standing to file suit against a school district when one has emigrated to another country?

My guess would be no, it all happened here and I assume the suit is filed here. Should be good to go.
Rafi
Member # 6930

quote:
Originally posted by NobleHunter:
Would it be unsupportably uncharitable to point out that it seems like a particularly American thing to do?

Not at all. Do you think it was part of the plan - not uncommon in America.
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

Do you think that they planned this far ahead? If so, are they criminal masterminds who may have laid the foundation for terrorist attacks in the US? Their genius could be unbounded. I'll note that a high school student is suing his school because he was suspended for tweeting “Actually, yeah”. Which do you think is more frivolous?
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AI Wessex:
Do you think that they planned this far ahead? If so, are they criminal masterminds who may have laid the foundation for terrorist attacks in the US? Their genius could be unbounded. I'll note that a high school student is suing his school because he was suspended for tweeting “Actually, yeah”. Which do you think is more frivolous?

The actually yeah suit is more frivolous because in context the student's tween was sexual harassment of a teacher.

Nevertheless you are in attributing "foundation" since it's a different district and circuit from clock boy. It's persuasive authority, like when I cited mad Max beyond thunder do me to get my client off for stalking her husband's mistress.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page