Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Culture of Victimhood (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: The Culture of Victimhood
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the announcers there are worse by far than the girls. Sorority girls are vain and no one actually goes to a baseball game to watch the game; these things are not remarkable. But the announcers were smug ********.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that video was messed up. Those announcers are appalling.

Not that I disagree with anything they said, mind you - but an announcer's job, I'm pretty sure, is not to single out individual fans at the ballpark and spend 5 minutes deliberately humiliating them on TV.

But to be fair to the announcers, with Colorado dead in the water who really cared about the game anyway?

In an unrelated topic, GO JAYS GO!! (and death to Kansas City, New York and all who dare oppose us).

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I think the announcers there are worse by far than the girls. Sorority girls are vain and no one actually goes to a baseball game to watch the game; these things are not remarkable. But the announcers were smug ********.

You're right, but omitting for the moment the true fact that an announcer has no business critiquing the fans in this way, imagine that this was just a candid video where a guy was observing some girls on their phones and commenting. Is it not true that the obsession with phones is both depressing and debilitating? I am in my 30's, and a couple I'm friends with just do not take their eyes off their phones. They can't stop, it's like a nervous tick. And they're not by any means some kind of weird outlier. It's like what we see in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, where everyone is just plugged into their terminal and never leave. It's practically mind control, but as jasonr said, where the people voluntarily sign up for it.
Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear in mind that it's not the phone that's the obsession; it's the presumed public on the other side of the phone. They're not taking selfies for their own consumption, or chatting with themselves; they're broadcasting.

The issue isn't with phones: it's that we've achieved a technology that makes it possible for people to feel connected -- and respected by -- people thousands of miles away, even while they're in the actual physical presence of other people who you'd think they would care about more.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 6897

- posted      Profile for ScottF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
Bear in mind that it's not the phone that's the obsession; it's the presumed public on the other side of the phone. They're not taking selfies for their own consumption, or chatting with themselves; they're broadcasting.

This is one of the most insane aspects of this to me. I agree with your description - they're broadcasting their personal trivia. So what we have now is a self-perpetuating loop of frantic attention seekers who willingly "like" or "lol" every byte of drivel that comes across their device.

The device allows physical separation from the person, which in turn makes any response seem less hollow than it is.

Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Physical separation is part of life. I find FB to be a useful tool to keep in touch with friends and family that are far away, to stay current with what my nieces and nephews are up to (I am always impressed with what they post), and to play games with my mother. I see her pretty often but can't every day. FB messenger was a great tool to keep all of my siblings informed when Dad was in the hospital. Whoever was on duty could post any changes or new information. Even though we saw each other every day, it was handy to have it all on one place and we used it to support each other when it got tough. As many of my friends are musicians, it is a handy way to keep track of their gigs.
Posts: 2635 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottF
Member # 6897

- posted      Profile for ScottF         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying there aren't more valid and valuable uses. I was describing the mindless, constant posting of nothingness by so many people.
Posts: 177 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoshCrow
Member # 6048

- posted      Profile for JoshCrow   Email JoshCrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to think that it was merely an expression of the negative traits like narcissism that was already present in people - but now I think it actively promotes shallowness and superficiality by allowing people to endlessly indulge in themselves, almost like a fetishization of one's identity.
Posts: 2281 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're right, but omitting for the moment the true fact that an announcer has no business critiquing the fans in this way, imagine that this was just a candid video where a guy was observing some girls on their phones and commenting. Is it not true that the obsession with phones is both depressing and debilitating? I am in my 30's, and a couple I'm friends with just do not take their eyes off their phones. They can't stop, it's like a nervous tick. And they're not by any means some kind of weird outlier. It's like what we see in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, where everyone is just plugged into their terminal and never leave. It's practically mind control, but as jasonr said, where the people voluntarily sign up for it.
The problem is, after a certain point, it stops being voluntary, especially when having a smart phone gets integrated with work responsibilities.

I used to naively say that I would never let my children own cell phones or computers and that if they want to work on a computer, they can use the one I'd put in the family room.

So naive of me. I have no doubt that schools will be requiring children to have their own laptops at a minimum and I'm sure smart phones won't be far behind. The schools may even hand them out for free.

So maybe if I want to be an eccentric, I can throw away my smart phone and probably get by without it at work. But my children and their children will have no such option. Being on Facebook is basically going to be mandatory. Operating Systems like Windows 10 and cloud computing are going to make opting out for children functionally impossible.

[ October 03, 2015, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: jasonr ]

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page