Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Disorder in the House

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disorder in the House
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kevin McCarthy dropped out of the running to replace John Boehner as the Speaker of the House today. He explained that although he had enough votes to win, he didn't have the confidence of House "conservatives". One of them said he was sorry that McCarthy dropped out, but that because he was a member of the "liberal wing" of the Republican caucus, he wasn't the right choice.

That means that the extreme right wing (aka the far white ring) of the House GOP membership have staged a mutiny and intend to take over the governance of the House agenda in what amounts to a coup.

If you thought things were bad (good) until now, they will get much, much worse (better) after Boehner leaves.

Imagine what their legislative agenda might be:

* Benghazi, Benghazi...
* Shut down the government...
* Dismantle Planned Parenthood...
* Defund the ACA...
* Shift funding from social programs to the military so we can...
* Go after ISIS in the Middle East and the US...
* Eliminate the tax code and replace it with charitable contributions to the government and a flat tax on essentials

I'm sure I forgot something...

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.W.
Member # 4370

- posted      Profile for D.W.   Email D.W.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While that seems awful in the short term for Dems it's probably the best possible outcome for Dems leading into the election.
Posts: 4308 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just heard someone joke that the only candidates acceptable to a majority of Republican Congressman would be Putin and Netanyahu.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually if this has all just been a ploy by Boehner it's actually pretty brilliant. Having proved there is not alternative, he has essentially defanged his opposition and strengthened his position.
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AI Wessex
Member # 6653

- posted      Profile for AI Wessex   Email AI Wessex   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he wants one. I have to believe he really has thrown in the towel. It's kind of interesting that this actually increases the chances that Pelosi could get her job back [Wink] . It also creates the possibility that the GOP would look outside the House for a leader they can both trust and follow. I would suggest Palin or Dennis Miller, perhaps. At least the rest of us could get some laughs, intentionally given or not.

Too late to edit the opening post. Where I wrote "aka the far white ring", I meant "aka the completely white ring".

[ October 08, 2015, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: AI Wessex ]

Posts: 8393 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wayward Son
Member # 210

- posted      Profile for Wayward Son   Email Wayward Son   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul Ryan is now the new Speaker.

But at least everything is going according to plan--God's plan. [Smile]

Posts: 8681 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page