Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Mizzou President resigns (Page 16)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Mizzou President resigns
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrtolin:
quote:
Your patronizing coddling does their cause more damage than my "stones"
Seriously, you thing asking for evidence before someone makes accusations is "coddling"?
No, Pyr. Based on evidence at hand people made assessments they thought were reasonable (whether they were in fact reasonable is irrelevant for now). You claimed outright that they were wrong and didn't understand, and that they needed to find more evidence to back up their comments. But since their comments were based on facts on the ground, it would be onerous on you to provide contrary facts which showed that the initial comments were missing some information. But instead of actually providing evidence to back up your claim you tell people that you have to do their homework for them and that their lack of research is the reason they're wrong. Sorry to tell you this, but you're the one whose lack of research is showing in this thread. Asking you for evidence to back up your claims isn't asking you to do our homework, it's asking you to do your homework. You've said multiple times you'll get around to it eventually but can't afford the time because you keep having to deal with our ignorant comments. Well actually you don't have to do any such thing. You can go spend a week researching and come back. Do you think this will bother anyone?

I can't explain how Pete missed the bit about the swastika, but otherwise those of us who've offered comments have read as much as we can find on the subject (at least I have, and I trust the others have too).

[ November 24, 2015, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Fenring ]

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyrtolin
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for Pyrtolin   Email Pyrtolin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry- where is your evidence that the students asking the president intended the question to be an unanswerable trap, since that's an unfounded assertion that you made over and over?

Where was your evidence that they were mostly white protestors taking up someone else's cause, since that's an accusation that you tried to level and were debunked on?

Where's the evidence of violence that people were using to accuse the protesters of misbehaving based on?

quote:
Based on evidence at hand people made assessments they thought were reasonable (whether they were in fact reasonable is irrelevant for now).
Except they were not reasonable because they included assumptions and speculation beyond the actual information that was available. That's not an assessment based on evidence, that's selectively confirming ones biases in the absence of evidence, then asserting the biases as facts.

A reasonable assessment does not invent evidence that wasn't presented, it admits that it doesn't have enough information to render judgement when important facts, particularly relating to the context of events that occurred, are unknown.

quote:
. But instead of actually providing evidence to back up your claim you tell people that you have to do their homework for them and that their lack of research is the reason they're wrong.
Not wrong. Ignorant. Their lack of research and evidence to back speculative claims they're making is evidence of ignorance, and they should be finding actual evidence to back the claims, not asking others to do research to debunk them.

quote:
Asking you for evidence to back up your claims isn't asking you to do our homework, it's asking you to do your homework.
Except I've avoided making claims about anything aside for behavior here, and what claims I've made have been based on evidence that was presented here or basic facts of the situation of racial relations in the US. When I've speculated, I've done my best to make it clear that I was guessing and qualified my assumptions with conditional statements to highlight their speculative nature.
Posts: 11997 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page