Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » The Man in the High Castle

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Man in the High Castle
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heard a David Biancouli review of this on NPR's Fresh Air (where he called it the best television serious on any network this year) and have watched the first 4 episodes on Amazon Prime - has anyone else started this? What are your impressions?

As background, this is a ten-part miniseries based on the Philip K Dick novel about an alternate 1962 in which the Axis won World War II and the US is divided between a Nazi regime East of the Rockies, a Rockey Mountain neutral zone, and an Imperial Japanese Western region. A woman comes into possession of 4 newsreal films that show a different reality in which the Axis lost World War II (ie; the reality that we are familiar with), and the Nazis are trying to track these down on the orders of a dying Hitler because they pose an extistential threat to their regime.

Ridley Scott is the producer, and much of the show was done by the same people who do The Good Wife.

Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrypoptart
Member # 3942

- posted      Profile for cherrypoptart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen it or heard of it but this is the type of really good stuff I love so thanks for bringing it some attention. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I may go off on a tangent now but that's just my style.

I wonder about how a unified Asia under Japanese rule would look. If you've seen the movie Hero with Jet Li... maybe want to see it before reading further aka spoilers ahead... you see that there were people long ago fighting to unify China. Similarly that was what the Japanese were trying to do with all of Asia. I knew a Chinese girl who kind of hated the Japanese but when I asked her if she had seen Hero and what she thought about the terrible things that were done for the sake of unification to the various different countries and people of ancient China that probably shared less in common than the Chinese and Japanese of the 1930s, did she think it was worth it? She thought for a while but said yes. I didn't mention that was what the Japanese were trying to do too and perhaps if they had succeeded in another thousand years the Asian people of the future would be as grateful as she was for the people in ancient times who unified her country.

Posts: 7675 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an excellent bit of turnaround.
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page