Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » An Experiment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An Experiment
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
92% of Saudis reject Daesh

Out of curiosity, when you read this headline, was your reaction to immediately seek to discredit the assertion? Or was it curiosity? Or did you feel your existing view was being confirmed?

My point being, how anchored are we in our belief system about Muslims and what they really think about ISIS/ISIL/DAESH?

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg Davidson
Member # 3377

- posted      Profile for Greg Davidson   Email Greg Davidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, how about this quote

quote:
They are convinced the world is reaching End Times, the apocalypse foretold in Scripture. They believe Jesus the Messiah will then return to join the faithful in a battle against the antichrist. The glorious confrontation will be won, with Jesus and his followers reigning supreme after the defeat of evil.

And who are these believers? No, not evangelical Christians—they’re the members of ISIS.

web page
Posts: 4178 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobleHunter
Member # 2450

- posted      Profile for NobleHunter   Email NobleHunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put me down for confirming existing views. I think "duh," is a good way to sum up my reaction. Saudi Arabia has always been high on Islamists' list of target. Daesh's belief that it's the new Caliphate is a direct challenge to the sovereignty of Saudi Arabia, probably moreso than to any other state in the region (except maybe Israel).
Posts: 2581 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fenring
Member # 6953

- posted      Profile for Fenring   Email Fenring       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am deeply suspicious of think tanks in general (many of them are merely political tools) but this one seems to have a good reputation and the results of the survey don't seem too surprising. In my view the manner in which Saudi Arabia is ruled probably accords very little with what the people there would actually like, and similarly extreme rulers elsewhere probably trouble them as well.

Don't forget, though, that the primary claim made on Ornery about Muslims is that a large percentage of them support Sharia law, not that they support ISIS.

I also noticed a conspicuous lack of the survey including a question about their views on America. Or at least if there was such a question this article fails to mention it for some reason.

Posts: 1636 | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiosity
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

- posted      Profile for The Drake   Email The Drake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The trigger for this experiment is the number of times I've seen statements (not necessarily here) to the effect that all Muslim countries want to establish a Caliphate violently, and they don't protest against ISIS.

Fenring, yes the US is actually also in the report but not in the summary article. The original source shows that Saudis are not very fond of Americans or Russians either, but not even close in the very negative category to Da'esh.

Posts: 7707 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Davidson:
Okay, how about this quote

quote:
They are convinced the world is reaching End Times, the apocalypse foretold in Scripture. They believe Jesus the Messiah will then return to join the faithful in a battle against the antichrist. The glorious confrontation will be won, with Jesus and his followers reigning supreme after the defeat of evil.

And who are these believers? No, not evangelical Christians—they’re the members of ISIS.

web page
Oh dearie me! How many cities have they taken? How many public executions have they put on facebook? How many women have they raped and sold and raped again?
Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

As for Sharia law, which Fenring brought up, there's this poll

This is for any form of Sharia, which most Muslims support for family and property disputes. Many of them (a slight majority) believe it should only apply to Muslims and not members of other faiths.

Corporal punishment is supported by roughly half of those who dig sharia, meaning a clear minority.

Still some bad news in there, you've got a huge percentage supporting the stoning of adulterers (I'm assuming they mostly mean women).

It is actually a pretty cool report. Not sure how accurate it is, I didn't delve into their methodology for interviewing people in Afghanistan which would seem problematic at best.

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question I would like to see polled in Saudi Arabia:

What acts by Daesh would be unacceptable if performed by a grand Califate?

ISIS would not exist if Wahhabi teaching had not already seeded the ground

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonaldD
Member # 1052

- posted      Profile for DonaldD   Email DonaldD   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Immediately?

I wonder who wrote it? Do they think 8% support is unconscionably high, or do they think that 92% is strikingly surprising? Or are we supposed to think the number is fabricated?

Posts: 10751 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Drake
Member # 2128

Another interesting question would be, how many would support Daesh if they only operated in Europe and the Americas?

To me, 8% is still a pretty high number.

With regard to a Caliphate, I'm not entirely sure what that would mean to poll respondents. I've read relatively little about this, but it seems the views range from Taliban style authoritarianism to a democratic process (albeit one open only to Muslims). Further, would it mean an expansionist Ottoman Empire style of Caliphate, intending to re-take Greece, or one formed from existing Muslim nations?

jasonr
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for jasonr   Email jasonr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you consider that Daesh are basically murderous pirates who brag about perpetrating slavery, mass rape and genocide, an 8% approval rating in a country of 30,000,000 people is no coup for the "notinmyname" crowd. Indeed, I recall reading a survey not too long ago that had ISIL approval rating in France at somewhere around 16% (!!!).

Incidentally, my concern has never been specifically about whether ISIL the organization garners alot of support in the Muslim world. The real litmus test is things like apostasy, divorce, blasphemy, gay rights, etc... All the polls on those subjects I have seen have been fairly depressing.

Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LetterRip
Member # 310

- posted      Profile for LetterRip   Email LetterRip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surveys tend to have about 5-10% spoilage/inattention rates. so basically that isn't above the noise threshold for surveys.
Posts: 8287 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page