Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Just venting....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just venting....
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to voice my disdain for those selfish, criminal "collectors" who'd buy a looted artifact from the Iraqi National Museum and keep it, locked away, for years. They couldn't DISPLAY it anywhere, on the off-chance that some visitor to their home would actually demonstrate some conscience, so they'll lock whatever they buy away for decades and sit, corpulent and spider-like, smug in their knowledge that they assisted in the cultural theft of some unique antiquity.
Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard someone say that the religious leaders in Iraq are telling the men that if they keep the artifacts then they will be damned. They are also telling the women than they should not sleep with their men if they know the men have taken artifacts.

Now that is a good use of religion.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnightEnder
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I applaud the sentiment, it's another example of the misuse of religion.

Knight Ender

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
M2, heard that, too.
The report quoted a Marine guarding an office building saying there was a steady stram of desks, air conditioners, and chairs flowing back into the building being carried by many sheepish-looking men.
Now if they'd just issue that Fatwah (sp?) to worship the ground all American's walk on and build a McDonalds on every corner.

[This message has been edited by jm0397 (edited April 17, 2003).]

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to admit that "you'll go to hell for stealing" is a pretty common tenant. As for telling women when to sleep with their husbands, if it does have some kind of religious impetus behind it, and wasn't just a snide remark by a minister somewhere, then yeah. Definitely an abuse of religion.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Puretext,

I think the point was that the religious leaders were telling everyone that they are responsible for the looting of thier own cultural heritage. If a woman knows her man stole a priceless artifact, the mullah is telling the wife to shame the man into giving it back.

msquared

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I agree. I was just making a distinction between a religious leader saying "this is the will of Allah" and saying "here's what I think you should do."

Saying that it's the will of Allah for women to force their husbands to do things by refusing relations with them is probably an abuse of religious authority. But then again, I'm not muslim.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colin JM0397
Member # 916

- posted      Profile for Colin JM0397   Email Colin JM0397   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nor am I muslin, but I do look quite striking as a window treatment, nonetheless.

Yes, I realize I am a dork. My wife reminds me often.

Posts: 4738 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

You're a windex??
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um...point.... it says in to Koran that a man may sleep with his wife "Even if she is on the back of a she-camel" even if she refuses, unless she is menstrating.

this guy was going against his own holy book?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Claw
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for Dr Claw   Email Dr Claw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most Christians go against the literal inerpritation of parts of their own book all the time.

Taking everything in any holy book literally is just asking for trouble.

I like the idea of a Muslim cleric saying something that doesn't fit literally with the Koran. It means that fundimentalism isn't as prevelent in the Muslim clergy as I thought.

Edited cause I forgot to make a point (I still might have)

[This message has been edited by Dr Claw (edited April 21, 2003).]

Posts: 222 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

I get the impression that most of the Koran is pretty hard to take metaphorically.
Denelian
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for Denelian   Email Denelian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is.

i have read it - i would say half is good stuff (there is most of a book devoted to women and how they are equal in the eyes of Allah) and some if it... well, the she-camel quote is an example of it.

the point i was making is that is an Islamic LAW - men can and do and forever (i fear) rape their wives in the M.E.

it seems to be one of the basic tenets of Islam [of the men] they they have complete control over "their" women - and this guy was telling those women to ignore that tenet???

(mind you, i agree - it should ALWAYS be ignored!!!)

Posts: 1139 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"it seems to be one of the basic tenets of Islam"

It isn't. It's a basic tenet of FUNDAMENTALIST Islam, in the same way that it's a basic tenet of fundamentalist Protestantism.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denelian
Member # 531

um... to my knowledge, in the M.E., the two sect both agree on this one thing...
TomDavidson
Member # 99

*whispers*
They're both fundamentalist sects.

There are far, far more than two types of Islam. *grin*

Pete at Home
Member # 429

- posted      Profile for Pete at Home   Email Pete at Home   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as I see it, there are some people who consult the their holy writ to determine which hand they should use to wipe their ass, and then there are some people that make that sort of decision based on opinion polls.

Would that make Clinton a sort of fundamentalist? Only in the Chaucerian sense.

Posts: 44193 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page