Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » Trial Lawyers Going After the Food Industry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trial Lawyers Going After the Food Industry
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the commercial that has triggered this latest scare. It seems Trial Lawyers have met to decide how best to turn carbohydrates and snack foods into another payday at the bank, and this commercial is an attempt to expose their upcoming agenda. What have you guys heard?

[ June 26, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: WmLambert ]

Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaoics79
Member # 969

- posted      Profile for Gaoics79   Email Gaoics79   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That commercial could have been so much funnier...
Posts: 7629 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puretext
Member # 823

- posted      Profile for Puretext   Email Puretext   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For once I would actually love to be a lawyer. The countersuit would be so much fun...
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssci
Member # 1053

- posted      Profile for ssci   Email ssci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was pretty funny. The obesity suits are right up there with suing a tool manufacturer for not warning you that sticking a screwdriver in your eye is detrimental to your vision.
Posts: 442 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jedilaw
Member # 1020

- posted      Profile for jedilaw   Email jedilaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The weird thing is, if just one of those suits wins, the landslide effect will be tremendous. If McDonalds is liable for fat and sugar in their food, so is Nabisco, and Pepsico, and Krispy Kreme, and...damn near the entire food industry.

Taken to the absurd extreme, if I can sue McDonalds for fattening food, I can sue my mother the southern cook for fried chicken and fried catfish, and I can sue my Cajun grandfather for all that porkfat in his cooking, and I can sue my wife for using ham-hocks.

There are two separate issues in these suits, though. One is the accusation that the food is defective or harmful because of the fat and sugar. That is a hard if not impossible case, because fat and sugar in moderation are not harmful, i.e. if your whole diet isn't fast food you're okay. The other issue is deceptive advertising or failure to inform consumers about fat content, and risks from fat. There they may conceivably get some traction, given the food labelling laws already in effect.

The Plaintiffs' lawyers are just mad because the breast implant cases are basically done and there's less and less money to make on asbestos.

Posts: 1600 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fotwennytime
Member # 1037

- posted      Profile for fotwennytime   Email fotwennytime   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, could we all sue whoever wrote the food guide pyramid? they actually told us that we are SUPPOSED to have 9-11 servings of bread a day. man thats a lot of reckless carbohydrates. think of the damage to public health those people have caused. come to think of it every food manufacturer ever has decieved me. they've been selling me foods that dont meet all of my nutritional requirements. why doesnt my spinach give me vitamin d? why dont my eggs provide iron? never mind that i payed them to do it, i never signed an as is clause at the grocery store.
i've said it before i'll say it again. lay the hell off my girlscout cookies.

Posts: 420 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page