Ornery.org
  Front Page   |   About Ornery.org   |   World Watch   |   Guest Essays   |   Contact Us

The Ornery American Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Ornery American Forum » General Comments » You know, I think I like James Woods....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You know, I think I like James Woods....
TomDavidson
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2003/07/31/woods/index.html

Even though I disagree strongly with his politics, he handled himself remarkably well in this interview.

Posts: 22935 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto
Member # 570

- posted      Profile for Leto   Email Leto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only does Salon suck, but their method of navigating through the ad to actually get to read the story is unintelligable. I ain't paying for their writing, so I didn't get to read anything.
Posts: 942 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 113

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Tom. First you think that pregnant women will kill themselves if their husbands don't lie to them about how sexy they are, then you support rapist(according to mackmillian and Belle) and now you support a know abuser. I think there is a Bubba deep down inside you. [Smile]

msquared(tounge planted firmly in cheek)

Posts: 4002 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WmLambert
Member # 604

- posted      Profile for WmLambert   Email WmLambert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a pretty unorganized, rambling interview with very few pertinent follow-up questions. Woods may be interesting, but he came off as whiney and paranoid about his opinions being mocked or words taken out of context. Amy Reiter may be a nice person, but as a writer she needs some work. The interview was long enough to gain a bit of perspective on Woods, but I betcha a better journalist could've gotten to that perspective a whole lot quicker.

Woods was correct that the reputation of Salon is one that made him assume his interview would get savaged - I admit to a cynicism here, that I think the piece was left virtually unedited to prove a point. (The exception that proves the rule?) Would it have been harvested by political opportunism if he hadn't gone on and on about It?

Posts: 1372 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enumclaw
Member # 876

- posted      Profile for Enumclaw   Email Enumclaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it a lot too.

I think that one thing that's hard to remember about reading an interview like that is that the guy was speaking out loud. When we read words, we process them a bit differently.

So what reads like Woods is slightly scatterbrained and jumps around might SOUND pretty logical.

I especially liked where he said that extremists of either side of politics are stuck and impossible to deal with. He's right; they are.

Us middle-of-the-roaders might seem wishy-washy and such, but at least we can talk about things and have open enough minds that we can change them.

[Smile]

Paul

Posts: 1656 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphon
Member # 1011

- posted      Profile for Gryphon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<laughs> the headline itself savages his position, which I actually noted when I decided not to read it this morning.

Salon generally does no more slashing or savaging of people and positions than any other news organization does of those who it disagrees with. (and usually no less, of course)

And most of the interview transcripts I've read were published, as this one appears to have been from my brief skim, in full. Salon might have a reputation for political opportunism, but I've never actually seen something that actually suggested they had done more to a news item than report from a slanted position. (some of their commentators are nuts, but no worse than the editorial pages anywhere else)

And Leto, have you read enough of Salon to say they suck? I know that I refused to buy a subscription until I realized that I was seeing one or two things each day that I really wanted to read, but couldn't... and usually one thing that I could read, that I enjoyed and profitted from reading. Which is better than the Washington Post or New York Times usually do with the stuff on their front (web)page.

Posts: 160 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto
Member # 570

- posted      Profile for Leto   Email Leto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And Leto, have you read enough of Salon to say they suck?
Yes. They only recently went subscription, and sucked for years before that.

And after reading the interview, I couldn't help but think to myself, damn, that Woods guy is freaking paranoid.

He'd fit right in here.

Posts: 942 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Ornery.org Front Page